Cuccos are chicken-like creatures that are common in The Legend of Zelda series. They are similar to chickens and sound like a rooster. In most games, Cuccos can summon a flock of Cuccos to attack Link if he has hit them too many times.
- 1 Appearances
- 1.1 A Link to the Past
- 1.2 Link's Awakening
- 1.3 Ocarina of Time
- 1.4 Majora's Mask
- 1.5 Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages
- 1.6 Four Swords Adventures
- 1.7 The Minish Cap
- 1.8 Twilight Princess
- 1.9 Phantom Hourglass
- 1.10 Spirit Tracks
- 1.11 A Link Between Worlds
- 1.12 Tri Force Heroes
- 1.13 Breath of the Wild
- 2 Other Appearances
- 3 Gallery
- 4 References
A Link to the Past
Cuccos in Link's Awakening appear in Mabe Village and the Hen House. The Cucco Keeper takes care of many Cuccos at his home, but he dreams of meeting one that can fly. When Link awakens the Flying Rooster, the Cucco Keeper's dream comes true. Unlike in other games, Link can actually kill the Cuccos in Link's Awakening by sprinkling them with Magic Powder, which causes them to burst into flames. The Magic Rod can create the same effect.
If Link hits a Cucco with the sword 35 times, a swarm of Cuccos will attack him until he leaves the area or dies.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Cuccos can be used to float gently down to certain places. They are used to obtain many Heart Pieces and even a Bottle. However, if hit by the sword one too many times, the Cucco will "cockadoodledoo" and a massive swarm of aggressive Cuccos appear. They continuously attack Link and cannot be defeated. The best way to escape is to quickly enter a building.
The Cucco Lady in Kakariko Village takes care of many Cuccos. When they escape, she asks Link to gather them all back up for her in a pen. Once Link returns them, she explains that she is allergic to them and then gives him a Bottle.
In addition, a Cucco is used to awaken Talon so that Link can enter Hyrule Castle. After that, Talon can be found at Lon Lon Ranch where he allows Link to search for "Super Cuccos" for 10 Rupees. If Link finds them all, Talon gives him a bottle filled with Lon Lon Milk. Note that Link can cheat at this game by throwing all the Cuccos into the corner behind Talon before the mini game starts, making the mini game incredibly easy. 
Cuccos in Majora's Mask are identical to the ones in Ocarina of Time. They appear in the Cucco Shack of Romani Ranch, where Grog watches over them. When Link first arrives, they are still tiny chicks, and Grog is disappointed that he will not see them full grown. By marching around with the Bremen Mask the chicks will follow Link and turn into full grown Cuccos. Grog thanks him with the Bunny Hood.
Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages
Four Swords Adventures
Cuccos appear in some stages of Four Swords Adventures, mostly in towns.
The Cucco Wranglers is also a mini-game found in this game in Tingle's Tower. Like in Ocarina of Time, the Links must catch Cuccos and toss them in a pen and the Link to catch the most wins a Force Fairy, given by Tingle.
The Minish Cap
Cuccos can be used for the same reasons as in Ocarina of Time. In Falbi's Flight-by-Fowl, Link jumps from high above Lake Hylia while holding a Cucco to gently float down to the Isle of Riches. Rusl also gives Link the Golden Cucco in order to get into the Sacred Grove as a human.
Cuccos behave differently than in other games when attacked. Rather than swarming around him, if Link hits a Cucco enough with the sword, he can take control of it for a short while.
The Cuccos of Phantom Hourglass are found on a variety of islands in the World of the Ocean King, such as Mercay and Molida. They will support Link's weight if he jumps off a ledge while holding them, which can help him reach Treasure Chests. Similar to other games, a swarm of Cuccos for 15 seconds will attack if struck 5 times.
Cuccos can be found in Castle Town, where a man is selling them for 50 Rupees for five birds. He can carry them in his Freight Car. While transporting them, Cuccos will run away if the train is attacked. Both Rael, the Lokomo at the Sand Sanctuary and a man from Aboda Village want Cuccos delivered to them. The man in Aboda wants to raise them and asks for ten total, forcing Link to take two trips due to the fact that he can only carry five. Rael wants five. By giving them their Cuccos, both men will give Link a Force Gem. Link can also use one of the Cuccos in the Sand Sanctuary to reach the Stamp Station there after delivering them.
A Link Between Worlds
Cuccos can be found most often in Kakariko Village. South of Kakariko there is also a mini-game known as Cucco Ranch that has a goal to avoid Cuccos for 30 seconds or more. The reward on the "Rooster" level is a Piece of Heart. In addition, there is one Treasure Hunter Cave that requires Link to use the Cuccos to float gently down on top of a Silver Rupee. Lorule also has its own version of Cuccos that are darker in color.
Tri Force Heroes
|This section is a stub. You can help the Zelda Dungeon Wiki by.|
Breath of the Wild
|This section is a stub. You can help the Zelda Dungeon Wiki by.|
In Breath of the Wild, Cuccos are mostly found in Kakariko Village. In Kakariko Village, there is a Side Quest called Flown the Coop. In this side quest, you must help find Cado's missing Cuccos. For completing this Side Quest, you are given a Purple Rupee. These Cuccos will also attack you, but can attack monsters if hit by a monster. If Link jumps from a ledge carrying one, he can glide at the same stamina consumption rate as that of the paraglider.
|This section describes a subject that is or may be outside the core Zelda canon.|
Cuccos are neutral units which can be found periodically throughout the game on levels with no rogue forces. Often one Cucco will be standing around, minding its own business. If a player attacks one, it becomes enraged, and wave after wave of cuccos show up in retaliation. Cuccos also appear as allies in certain Adventure mode missions with Linkle as the warrior. Players can also meet Golden Cuccos, solid gold variants that have much more health and are harder to defeat. Cuccos also appear in Lana's Summoning Gate moveset's special attack.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
On March 24, 2014, Masahiro Sakurai posted a picture on the Super Smash Bros. website of a new item, the Cucco. This is what Sakurai had to say about the Cucco species:
"Pic of the day. Never bully Cuccos. Seriously, attacking them is out of the question! This has always been a cardinal rule of The Legend of Zelda series."
In the game, the Cucco item, when thrown at an opponent, summons a horde of Cuccos to attack all opponents. This refers to the way Cuccos respond when agitated in the many of the main series games. In the 3DS version's Smash Run, the 16-bit Cucco from A Link to the Past appears as an enemy and also summons other Cuccos if hit.
Sonic Lost World
In Sonic Lost World's "The Legend of Zelda Zone," released March 27th, 2014, there are three Cuccos found in a fenced area in the level's version of Hyrule Field. If Sonic (dressed up as Link in this free DLC) attacks them a few times, they use their signature attack and call numerous other Cuccos, all attacking Sonic.
Cucco from ''Link's Awakening (2019)
- ↑ "Chickens these days don't have the fighting spirit they used to! In the old days, they could fly, flap flap! But now, see? Cluck cluck!" — Cucco Keeper, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Wow! Amazing! That rooster is actually flying! It's just like I said, eh? Have you tried to hold him over your head? Cluck Cluck!" — Cucco Keeper, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "What should I do!? My Cuccos have all flown away! You, little boy, please! Please help me bring them back to this pen!" — Cucco Lady, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Thank you for finding my Cuccos. I have allergies, so I get goose bumps when I touch them. For helping me, I will give this to you. It's fine glass, and should be useful. Please take good care of it!" — Cucco Lady, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Mumble...mumble... Huh? I'm awake already! What? Well I'll be! If it ain't the forest kid from the other day! By the way, thanks a lot for waking me up! It took some doing, but I finally got Malon back in a good mood. So, what are you up to today? Got some free time on your hands you say? Well how about a little game? These three Cuccos I have here are special Super Cuccos! I'm going to throw these Cuccos into that there gaggle of normal Cuccos. If you can pick out these three special birds from among the normal Cuccos within the time limit, I'll give you something good. If you can't find them, I win. It'll be 10 Rupees... Want to play? Yes No" — Talon, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Haw haw! I was just kidding! Just kidding! I think you're a little young for that, aren't you? Haw haw haw! Oh...! I'm proud to present to you a sample of our very own Lon Lon Milk. You'll be energized the moment you drink it! After you drink it, you can bring back the bottle and buy a refill, anytime you want!" — Talon, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "My only regret is that I won't get to see these guys in their prime as roosters." — Grog, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "I don't have regrets about anythin' anymore. I'm perfectly satisfied. Here...You can have this from me..." — Grog, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "Are you ready for a flight full of dreams and sweet, sweet bonuses? A Cucco-powered ride around Lake Hylia? You will LOVE it!" — Falbi, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "Now, just grab a Cucco of any color and try to sail to the Isle of Riches!" — Falbi, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "To cross the gorge, just use my partner here." — Rusl, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "That's how many cats have made it back here to the village..." — Cucco Leader, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "So perhaps you could...you know... just...play with them?" — Cucco Leader, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "Oh, good news, [Link]! My Cuccos are getting so big, it's almost time to start selling them! If you hear of anyone who wants to buy some Cuccos, please let me know! The price is 50 Rupees for five birds! Is that a screaming deal or WHAT! Would you like to purchase some of these fine fowl? [.]Sure.[.]Nah." — Cucco Merchant, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Thank you very much! I'll put them on your train for you. You might know already, but the Cuccos will run off if the carriage is hit. Some bandits even aim to hit your train and steal Cuccos, so watch out!" — Cucco Merchant, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Hey there, [Link]! So, have you gotten the hang of driving that train? I see you've got a freight car now, too? Excellent! I'm planning on raising Cuccos here. Think you could bring some in for me? If you could bring me 10 to start, that would be great!" — Aboda Villager, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Hey, aren't you the young man from earlier? Did you make it to the temple? Well, I've got a favor to ask you. Do you know about the birds called Cuccos? They are flightless. But when cornered, they can call their friends to unleash an amazing power. I want to study this phenomenon more closely... My goal is to harness this unbelievable Cucco power for the good of mankind. And this is where you come in, young man. Would you bring me some Cuccos? The more Cuccos, the better. At the very least, I'd like five. Once you bring them to me, I'll give you something nice. Thanks!" — Rael, Spirit Tracks.