The Flying Rooster is a character in Link's Awakening. He is a blue Cucco that lived in Mabe Village with the ability to fly and carry others around beneath him. After his death, he was buried under the Weathercock in the center Mabe Village. Link enlists the Flying Rooster's help in order to obtain the Bird Key.
Upon completing Face Shrine, Link can use the L-2 Power Bracelet to move the Weathercock where the Flying Rooster rests in Mabe Village. At first, when he enters, all he will find is a pile of bones, but if he plays the Frog's Song of Soul, the Flying Rooster will spring back to life. He is very friendly and willing to assist Link.
After this, the Flying Rooster will follow Link everywhere he goes. By lifting it above his head with the Power Bracelet, the Rooster will flap its wings and carry Link into the air.
Link can take the Flying Rooster into the Tal Tal Mountain Range. Within one of the many caves he will find a chasm that can only be crossed with the Flying Rooster's help. After passing by this, he will obtain the Bird Key. The key will open Eagle's Tower, the next dungeon.
Before Link meets the Flying Rooster, the Henhouse Keeper always comments that chickens simply are not the same because they cannot fly like in previous eras. He is excited when Link brings the Flying Rooster into the Hen House, asking whether Link has tried carrying the Rooster above his head or not. Once Link completes Eagle's Tower, the Flying Rooster decides to go stay in the Hen House, carrying around the Henhouse Keeper whenever he wants.
In Link's Awakening and Link's Awakening DX, there is a Secret Seashell available only while Link has the Flying Rooster following him in the southwestern corner of Kanalet Castle, just to the left of the gate. A series of pits is in front of a staircase leading underground. They can be flown over using the Rooster. Inside of the underground room is a Treasure Chest with the seashell. However, in the Switch remake, Link can get over the pits using the Hookshot, so the Flying Rooster is unnecessary.
The Flying Rooster's sprite in Link's Awakening DX
- ↑ "'BRRING! BRRING! Hi, it's Ulrira! Have you heard of the Flying Rooster of Mabe Village? In the good old days, it used to give us rides if we held it above our heads... Now it is lying under the Weathercock... Is that useful for you? I hope so! Bye! CLICK!'" — Old Man Ulrira, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Have you heard of the Flying Rooster? They say it lived in Mabe Village a long time ago... I wonder if it's true..." — Rabbit, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Here Sleeps The Flying Rooster" — Weathercock, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Wow! The Rooster has recovered! He seems very friendly!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Chickens these days don't have the fighting spirit they used to! In the old days, they could fly, flap flap! But now, see? Cluck cluck!" — Henhouse Keeper, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Wow! Amazing! That rooster is actually flying! It's just like I said, eh? Have you tried to hold him over your head? Cluck Cluck!" — Henhouse Keeper, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Wooo! Finally! This flying rooster is the greatest!" — Henhouse Keeper, Link's Awakening.