The Fisherman will fish up the necklace once Link returns his Fishing Hook to him. Link can then bring it back to mermaid, who allows him to dive and take one of her scales. She warns him to take only one. The scale can be used to open the Mermaid Statue created by Schule Donavitch in her image. She claims that when she posed for him, Schule wanted a scale as well. After Link replaces her scale in the statue, the mermaid will jump up out of the water onto a large rock in the bay whenever he comes near.
- In the Japanese version of Link's Awakening (Game Boy), the mermaid lost her swimsuit top instead of her necklace. This is why she only leaves the water after her necklace is returned to her. This is also the reason that she says that she has already looked around the area and then flees if Link dives under the water near her.
- ↑ "When I was swim- ming in the bay, the waves took a very important necklace from around my neck! If you find it, I will let you take a scale from my tail!" — Mermaid, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " The became a necklace ! L-l-lucky!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Ahh! That's it! That's my neck- lace! Give it! Give it back! I will give you a scale as I said! Give Keep" — Mermaid, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You returned the necklace and got a scale of the mermaid's tail. How will you use this?" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Promise! You'll only take one!" — Mermaid, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " You put the missing scale in the mermaid statue!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "An artist once asked me to pose for him, and he wanted a scale, too... Can the legend of the Magnifying Lens be true...?" — Mermaid, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " I have already looked around here!" — Mermaid, Link's Awakening.