"I AM THE WIND FISH... LONG HAS BEEN MY SLUMBER... IN MY DREAMS... AN EGG APPEARED AND WAS SURROUNDED BY AN ISLAND, WITH PEOPLE, ANIMALS, AN ENTIRE WORLD! ... ... ... ..."
The Wind Fish is a central character in Link's Awakening. Throughout most of the game, he resides in his Egg that sits atop Mt. Tamaranch, the tallest mountain in the Tal Tal Mountain Range. He is perceived as a large, multi-colored whale, with large angel-like wings. He also bears a striking resemblance to Levias from Skyward Sword.
|Spoiler Alert! This section describes a subject that is sensitive to plot development.|
The Wind Fish is the creator of Koholint Island, with it being a creation of his own dreams. While on the island, he takes the form of a large white, speckled egg that can only be awakened by playing the Ballad of the Wind Fish on the Eight Instruments of the Sirens.
Throughout the game, the Wind Fish is largely kept a mystery to Link. The Owl explains to Link that he will be unable to leave the island while the Wind Fish is napping, but little else. Though Link can find the Wind Fish's Egg early on in the game, he only knows it is where the Wind Fish slumbers. The denizens of Koholint Island also seem to be mostly unaware of why the Wind Fish exists, with Kidoh saying that although he knows the Wind Fish sleeps in the egg, he has no idea why. Marin makes a wish to the Wind Fish, believing that he will make it come true.
As the game continues, the identity of the dreamer and the mysteries of the island begin to be revealed, usually from the Nightmares and from the Owl. However, it isn't until Link enters the Southern Face Shrine that these answers are revealed, where the relief on the wall explains that the island is all a dream and will disappear upon the waking of the Wind Fish.
At the end of the game, Link plays the Ballad of the Wind Fish, and the Eight Instruments of the Sirens open the way to the final dungeon, which is inside the Wind Fish's Egg. Here, after navigating through many rooms, Link finds the Shadow Nightmares, who reveal that they made the Wind Fish sleep endlessly so they could become the masters of the island.
After Link defeats the Shadow Nightmares, he is taken up a stairway to the sky, created by the Wind Fish. Here, Link meets with the Owl once again who explains to him that he is an essence of the Wind Fish's spirit. After that, the Wind Fish reveals himself to Link and explains to him that the island will disappear when he wakes up from his dream and Link will return to the sea. After the conversation ends between Link and the Wind Fish, the Wind Fish wakes up, causing Koholint to disappear, and Link wakes up back on his destroyed raft in the middle of the sea. As he looks up at the sky, Link spots the Wind Fish flying above, showing that though the island is gone, the memories that existed with Koholint will last forever.
- ↑ "Hoot! Hoot! So you are the lad who owns the sword... Now I understand why the monsters are starting to act so violently... A courageous lad has come to wake the Wind Fish... It is said that you cannot leave the island unless you wake the Wind Fish... You should now go north, to the Mysterious Forest. I will wait for you there! Hoot!" — Owl, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hoooot! The Wind Fish sleeps long and dreamily in the Egg above... When you play the eight Siren Instruments in front of the Egg he will awaken. This, my friend, is the only way for you to leave the island! Hoo!" — Owl, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "The giant egg on top Tamaranch Mountain? They say the Wind Fish is sleeping inside of it... Why? I don't know either..." — Kidoh, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Thank you for everything! Link , you are the kindest boy I know. One day I made a wish to the Wind Fish... What was the wish? It was... No, it's secret!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "TO THE FINDER... THE ISLE OF KOHOLINT, IS BUT AN ILLUSION... HUMAN, MONSTER, SEA, SKY... A SCENE ON THE LID OF A SLEEPER'S EYE... AWAKE THE DREAMER, AND KOHOLINT WILL VANISH MUCH LIKE A BUBBLE ON A NEEDLE... CAST- AWAY, YOU SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH! ... ... ... ... What? Illusion?" — Southern Face Shrine Relief, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "We were born of nightmares... To take over this world, we made the Wind Fish sleep endlessly! If the Wind Fish doesn't wake up, this island will never disappear! We would have been the masters of this place... But you had to come here and disrupt our plans! Heh heh! You can never defeat us!!! Let's rumble!" — Shadow Nightmares, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hoot! Young lad, I mean... Link , the hero! You have defeated the Nightmares! You have proven your wisdom, courage and power! ... ... ... ... As part of the Wind Fish's spirit, I am the guardian of his dream world... But one day, the Nightmares entered the dream and began wreaking havoc. Then you, Link , came to rescue the island... I have always trusted in your courage to turn back the Night- mares. Thank you, Link ... My work is done... The Wind Fish will wake soon. Good bye...Hoot!" — Owl, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I AM THE WIND FISH... LONG HAS BEEN MY SLUMBER... IN MY DREAMS... AN EGG APPEARED AND WAS SURROUNDED BY AN ISLAND, WITH PEOPLE, ANIMALS, AN ENTIRE WORLD! ... ... ... ... BUT, VERILY, IT BE THE NATURE OF DREAMS TO END! WHEN I DOST AWAKEN, KOHOLINT WILL BE GONE... ONLY THE MEMORY OF THIS DREAM LAND WILL EXIST IN THE WAKING WORLD... SOMEDAY, THOU MAY RECALL THIS ISLAND... THAT MEMORY MUST BE THE REAL DREAM WORLD... ... ... ... ... COME, Link ... LET US AWAKEN... TOGETHER!!" — Wind Fish, Link's Awakening.