|Spoiler Alert! This article describes a subject that is sensitive to plot development.|
As the island setting of Link's Awakening, Koholint Island is a large, mysterious place filled with strange people and locations. It is as expansive as it is hostile. The entire island lies in the shadow of an Egg, which lies on top of the island's tallest mountain. It is in this egg lies the Wind Fish, the guardian of the island. However, it is later revealed that the entire island is actually a product of the Wind Fish's dream. The entire island is covered by nothing but water, and the only way to leave is by waking the Wind Fish. After getting caught in a storm at sea, Link washes up here.
Koholint Island is home to several different natural environments, such as forests, swamps, and prairies. Its biggest region is Ukuku Prairie, spreading throughout the center of the island. To the north lies the Tal Tal Mountain Range, where the Wind Fish's Egg resides.
Artwork of Koholint Island from the Nintendo Player's Guide
- ↑ "The large egg sitting atop the island's tallest mountain is Koholint's most notable characteristic." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 102
- ↑ " ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I AM THE WIND FISH... LONG HAS BEEN MY SLUMBER... IN MY DREAMS... AN EGG APPEARED AND WAS SURROUNDED BY AN ISLAND, WITH PEOPLE, ANIMALS, AN ENTIRE WORLD! ... ... ... ... BUT, VERILY, IT BE THE NATURE OF DREAMS TO END! WHEN I DOST AWAKEN, KOHOLINT WILL BE GONE... ONLY THE MEMORY OF THIS DREAM LAND WILL EXIST IN THE WAKING WORLD... SOMEDAY, THOU MAY RECALL THIS ISLAND... THAT MEMORY MUST BE THE REAL DREAM WORLD... ... ... ... ... COME, Link ... LET US AWAKEN... TOGETHER!!" — Wind Fish, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Though Link attempted to leave the island, the citizens insisted that there was nothing beyond the ocean." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 102
- ↑ "As he collected the Instruments of the Sirens, Link uncovered a shocking truth.
The world in which he had found himself existed within the Wind Fish's dream, and waking the Wind Fish would cause the island to disappear in a stream of bubbles." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 103
- ↑ "Link was in the midst of journeying back to Hyrule by boat after finishing his training.
During the voyage, he was caught up in a storm that sank his ship. Upon regaining consciousness, Link found that he had washed ashore on an island called Koholint." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 102
- ↑ "Koholint Island
An island with abundant natural areas, surrounded by ocean." — The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, pg. 102