Goponga Swamp is a desolate area in the northwestern region of Koholint Island in Link's Awakening. Filled with Goponga Flowers and Fin Piranhas, the only safe way to traverse this area early in the game is to rescue BowWow from the nearby Moblin Cave.
After obtaining the Full Moon Cello at the end of Tail Cave, a mysterious voice tells Link to head to the swamp. The Owl tells him the same thing soon after, explaining that the next instrument is in the swamp. However, when Link heads back to Mabe Village, two children frantically tell him that something happened at Madam MeowMeow's house. She reveals that her pet Chain Chomp, BowWow, was kidnapped by the King Moblin. Link heads to the Moblin Cave and defeats the King Moblin, rescuing BowWow. Madam MeowMeow asks him then to take BowWow for a walk. BowWow can eat the flowers in the Goponga Swamp, which allows Link to finally traverse the dangerous landscape and open a path into the second dungeon, Bottle Grotto.
Points of Interest
- Main article: Bottle Grotto
The main attraction of Goponga Swamp is the second dungeon of the game: Bottle Grotto. Situated in the northeast, Bottle Grotto is surrounded by flowers that must be consumed by BowWow before Link can enter.
Mr. Write's House
- Main article: Mr. Write's House
Mr. Write lives in a house in the southwest of the Goponga Swamp region. It is here that he writes to a pen pal named Christine. Later, he gives Link the Broom in exchange for the Letter as a part of the Link's Awakening Trading Sequence.
One of Koholint's Telephone Booths is found in the south of Goponga Swamp, to the west of Mr. Write's dwelling.
A large cavern is found in the north of Goponga Swamp. It has two entrances and two Treasure Chests inside. The first can be reached with Roc's Feather and it contains 20 Rupees. The second contains 50 Rupees, but it requires the Power Bracelet to lift the skull blocking it.
Another chest is found in the center of the water-filled area of the swamp, in the eastern half. It also holds 50 Rupees, but BowWow must eat the flower blocking the way in order to reach the treasure.
- ↑ "...SWAMP... A path opens... in the blooms..." — Voice, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " Hoooot! That is an 'Instrument of the Sirens!' I have to admit, at first I did not believe you were real... That Instrument, along with the seven others in the set, has the power to wake the Wind Fish! You must collect them all! I was instructed to give you direc- tions... Your next goal is north, in Goponga Swamp!! Hoot, indeed!" — Owl, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hey buddy! It's serious! Yeah, really serious!! Yeah, it is! The Moblins came to the village! Yeah, that's right! A whole gang of Moblins! Then... It's for real! They all went to the house... Yeah, that house, and then they did something at Bow Wow's house!! It was a really bad scene, with the M-m-moblins! So, I mean, ahh! ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... It might be faster to find out for yourself what happened!" — Children, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "AIEEEEEEEE! It's terrrrbile! My BowWow was dognapped by... Mo-mo-MOBLINS!! OHHH! AHHHH! Please! Somebody help my poor BowWow!!" — Madam MeowMeow, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Oh thank you! I'm so happy you brought my baby back! Now, would you be a dear and take him for a walk? It would really help me out a lot! You will?! Thanks!" — Madam MeowMeow, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hello! I'm writing back to Christine now!" — Mr. Write, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Mmm... She's so beautiful... I must give you something for your trouble... Hmm... Well, it looks like all I have is this broom... how'll that be? Fine No..." — Mr. Write, Link's Awakening.