Oracle of Ages Trading Sequence
The Oracle of Ages Trading Sequence is a Trading Sequence in Oracle of Ages. It features 12 items, which must be traded with people from across Labrynna, both in the Past and the Present. The reward for this quest is the Noble Sword, which is more powerful than the Wooden Sword. However, in a Linked Game, the reward may be the Master Sword, depending on whether or not Link has used the Clock Shop Secret to obtain the Noble Sword from the Old Man early. This quest is completely optional, as no items acquired during the quest are needed for plot reasons.
The first item in the trading sequence is the Poe Clock. The Poe Clock is given to Link by the Clock Poe, a mysterious talking ghost found in the Yoll Graveyard. When Link is first approached after obtaining the Power Bracelet, the Clock Poe says that a headstone blocks its way to the afterlife, and asks Link to move the headstone so it can pass on. Once Link moves the headstone and enters the grave he finds the Clock Poe there, who exclaims that he can move on to the afterlife now that the headstone has been moved. As thanks, the Clock Poe gives Link the Poe Clock, saying it hopes Link can reach the afterworld too.
The Stationery is the second item in the trading sequence. It is received from the Postman in his Post Office while Link is in the Past. Once approached, the Postman says that he can't deliver the mail because he doesn't know the time. Link can then show him the Poe Clock, which the Postman takes from Link so he can tell the time. As thanks, the Postman gives Link the Stationery.
The third item in the sequence is the Stink Bag. The Stink Bag is acquired from ???, a mysterious hand found in the Toilet in Lynna Village in the Past. ??? says that it needs paper, but doesn't specify why. Link can give ??? the Stationery, at which point ??? makes random, strange noises. After a while, ??? stops and gives Link the Stink Bag.
The Tasty Meat is the fourth item in the trading sequence. It is acquired from the Tokay Chef on Crescent Island in the Present. If Link talks to the Tokay Chef, he learns that the chef's nose is all stuffed, so he can't make food for the other Tokay. However, if Link gives the Tokay Chef the Stink Bag, he opens it up and takes a sniff which clears his nose. As thanks, the Tokay Chef gives Link the Tasty Meat.
The fifth item in the trading sequence is the Doggie Mask. It is acquired from the Happy Mask Salesman in his Mask Shop in the Present. The Happy Mask Salesman is hungry; so hungry, that his stomach hurts. However, Link can offer the salesman the Tasty Meat, which the Happy Mask Salesman takes and eats. Unfortunately, the salesman is very rude about giving Link something in return, calling Link greedy. He finally gives in, giving Link the Doggie Mask.
The Dumbbell is the sixth item in the trading sequence. It is acquired from Mamamu Yan, a dog-lover who lives in a small house in the southwest corner of Lynna City in the Present. Once Link has obtained the Doggie Mask, he can enter Mamamu Yan's house and talk to her. She says she's the top dog breeder in town, and that her dog is the cutest. However, she reveals to Link that her dog is shy, and asks for a way to hide its face. If she sees the Doggie Mask, she exclaims that it's perfect, and asks to have it. If Link agrees, Mamamu Yan rewards Link with the toy her dog just played with: a Dumbbell.
The seventh item in the Oracle of Ages trading sequence is the Cheesy Mustache. It is obtained from Thomas, an abnormally skiny man found in the basement of the Middle House in Symmetry Village in the Past. Because Thomas is so skinny, he has to sway left and right in order to get balanced. In order to no longer be skinny, Thomas says he wants to work out; however, he only has one Dumbbell. At this point, Link can give Thomas the second Dumbbell, allowing him to work out both arms. As a reward, Thomas rips off his mustache and gives it to Link.
The Funny Joke is the eighth item in the trading sequence. It is given to Link by the Comedian, a man found in the middle of Lynna City in the Present. After telling Link a really bad joke about chocolate, the Comedian admits to Link that he needs something that will make people laugh. After Link gives the Comedian the Cheesy Mustache, the Comedian thanks Link by telling him the funniest joke he knows. Oddly enough, the Funny Joke's sprite is of a Ribbon.
The ninth item in the trading sequence is the Touching Book. This book is acquired from Dekadin inside a small home to the west of Lynna Village in the Past. Dekadin is a small boy who lives in a small, darkened house. He's very depressed, and wished he could laugh to forgot it all. After Link tells him the Funny Joke, Dekadin says it was funny, but he is still depressed. However, he still rewards Link, offering him to take any of the books on the bookshelf. Link picks out the Touching Book, a sad story, which goes along with Dekadin's depression.
The tenth item in the trading sequence is the Magic Oar. This oar is acquired from Maple, at any of the trigger points in which Maple appears in. After bumping into Maple in one of these locations, Maple sees the Touching Book fall from Link's grasp, and says that she must have it so she can take it to Syrup. Once Link gives it to her she begins to read it, sobbing every now and then. After finishing, she gives Link the Magic Oar, saying she made it herself.
The Sea Ukulele is the eleventh and penultimate item in the Oracle of Ages trading sequence. It is acquired from Rafton, a man who lives in a small house along the South Shore in the Past. Rafton wants to enter a raft race, but he doesn't have a decent oar to use. However, the Magic Oar is perfect for him, so when Link offers Rafton it he accepts, giving Link the Sea Ukulele in return.
The Broken Sword is the twelfth and final item in the trading sequence. It is obtained from an Old Zora who lives in a cave that is on the Coast of No Return, in the Past. This is odd, seeing as how the Zora Village is on the other side of Labrynna. Regardless, once Link approaches the Old Zora, he tells Link that in his youth he best the best Zora musician. If he could gets his hands on an instrument, he could relive those days. If Link gives him the Sea Ukulele, the Zora is very happy, and promises to reward Link with the Hero's Sword "that a great hero gave my ancestors long ago!" However, he gives Link the Broken Sword, which he seems to not want to talk about.
- Main article: Noble Sword
The reward for completing the Oracle of Ages trading sequence is the Noble Sword, the most powerful sword found in a normal game. Once Link has acquired the Broken Sword from the Old Zora, he can take the Broken Sword to Patch. Patch lives atop Restoration Wall, just south of Symmetry Village in the Past. There, he can play Patch's mini-game. If he successfully completes it, the Broken Sword becomes the Noble Sword.
- ↑ "Someone finally came! This head- stone blocks my path to the afterlife. I'm actually below here, right? I'd appreciate it if you could help me out." — Clock Poe, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "You must have moved my head- stone! That means I can move on to the after- world. My heart lifts at the thought of it! Thanks!" — Clock Poe, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "You came out! Since I'm moving on, I don't need this anymore. Take it! I hope you can reach the afterworld soon, too!" — Clock Poe, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "This isn't good! I want to deliver the mail on time, but I can't do it if I don't know the time!" — Postman, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Hmm? Tick, tock? That tells time! Are you giving me this clock? Don't say a word! Of course you will! What a big help! Here's your reward. Now I'm off to work. I'm a workaholic!" — Postman, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "P-paper! Do you have any paper?" — ???, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Yay! Nooooo! Hmm..." — ???, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Take this." — ???, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "I hab to cook dinner por all da Tokay, but by dose is all stubbed up. Ib I cook, it will taste awbul." — Tokay Chef, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Rrrrrip! ...snifffff! Ewww!!! Peee-yewww! That smell!!! Ohhhhhh!!! Ewwwwwww!!! What was that? My nose stings! That was stinky! ...?!? Stinky?!? That smell! It cleared up my nose! Thanks! That bag did it! I need it! It's unbearable! I'll trade you something really good for it!" — Tokay Chef, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "What was that? My nose stings! That was stinky! ...?!? Stinky?!? That smell! It cleared up my nose! Thanks! That bag did it! I need it! It's unbearable! I'll trade you something really good for it!" — Tokay Chef, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "I'm so hungry my stomach hurts." — Happy Mask Salesman, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "What's this? Hand it over... Food at last... (Chomp, chomp) ................ Why are you staring at me? Oh, you WANT something?" — Happy Mask Salesman, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "How greedy! How mean! You won't leave until you get something?" — Happy Mask Salesman, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Fine. You can have this." — Happy Mask Salesman, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ 16.1 16.2 "I'm Mamamu Yan, the top breeder in town. My dog is much cuter than that dog! Much cuter! But my dog is very shy." — Mamamu Yan, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Do you know of a good way to hide its face?" — Mamamu Yan, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Well!!! That mask!!! It fits my dog perfectly! Let me have that mask! Give her the Doggie Mask? ›Yes ›No" — Mamamu Yan, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Good boy! You deserve the toy that my dog played with!" — Mamamu Yan, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Sway right... Sway left... Move left, sway right... Move right, sway left... I'm so skinny... I wish I could change..." — Thomas, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "I know! I'll work out! Except... I have only one Dumbbell..." — Thomas, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "That's it... What I wanted... Now I can lift, lift, lift... I'll get all the girls now, eh..." — Thomas, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "I'm so skinny... I can't offer you much... Umm...I know.�� Rrrrrip!�� Gotta work out!" — Thomas, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "So what kinda candy's never on time???�� Choco-late! Isn't that a sweet joke!" — Comedian, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "I need something that will make people laugh. I wonder if a fake mustache would work?" — Comedian, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "What a hilarious mustache! It's a riot! OK, buddy, I'm gonna teach you the funniest gag I know! OK... Here goes!" — Comedian, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Who are you..? Well... Welcome... to the darkness of my troubles.�� I'm so depressed... I want to laugh until I forget everything. Then I'd be happy. Hah.............�� ................�� Tell him the Funny Joke? ›Yes ›No" — Dekadin, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ 28.1 28.2 "Huh...�� What's that..?�� Hah.............�� ................�� Oh...�� That's so funny, I forgot to laugh.�� Thanks...�� Thanks to you, I can be as depressed as I want to be... You can take any book you want from that bookshelf..." — Dekadin, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "You got a Touching Book! It's a sad story." — In-Game Description, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Hey! That book!" — Maple, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "That's the Touching Book I need to take to Syrup! Why do you have it? Let me read it!" — Maple, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "What..? Oh, my... ......... Ooo! ........... Uh-wahhh! Ahhh...(sniff) How touching!" — Maple, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Thanks...(sniff) It was good... Take this. It's the first one I made. Syrup never gave me any compliments on it. I'll keep this book. (Sniff!)" — Maple, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Hey! How goes the rafting? I'm thinking of entering a raft race, but I haven't been able to find a decent oar to race with." — Rafton, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Whoa! That Oar! It looks like a toy... But I like it! Thanks! In exchange... I know! How's this? Lazily playing guitar while gazing at the moon is so nice." — Rafton, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "Back in my day, I was the best Zora musician. If I had an instrument, I could relive my youth." — Old Zora, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "That Ukulele has the spirit of the sea in it! That smell! That sound! That's good of you to respect your elders, kids! I see you're on some adventure. Well I give you something old... This is the Hero's Sword that a great hero gave my ancestors long ago!" — Old Zora, Oracle of Ages.
- ↑ "...What's that? It's broken..? ...Ah-Ahem!�� Ahh! Umm... What a great sound!" — Old Zora, Oracle of Ages.