Link's Awakening Trading Sequence
The Link's Awakening Trading Sequence is a trading quest in Link's Awakening. It involves 14 items that must be given to various characters around Koholint Island. All items up to the Stick are required to get into Kanalet Castle and complete the main storyline, but after that it is entirely optional. The Magnifying Lens is a required item in order to read the book in the library that gives the correct path through the Wind Fish's Egg. Technically, you can get through the Wind Fish's egg without the Magnifying Lens by guessing the path or if you know one of the seven set paths already. However, this Magnifying Lens also allows you to get one of the most powerful weapons in the game, the Boomerang.
The Yoshi Doll is the first item in the Trading Sequence. It can be found in Mabe Village in the Trendy Game Shop. Unlike the other items in the game, it does not move, making it very simple to collect. It can be collected as soon as Link has collected enough Rupees to play the game, which is 10 Rupees.
The second item in the Trading Sequence is the Ribbon. It can also be found in Mabe Village, once again allowing for it to be found very early on in the game. It can be traded for the Yoshi Doll with Papahl's Wife. She will tell Link that her baby is crying and she needs something to calm it down, claiming that she tried to win he Yoshi Doll from the Trendy Game Shop with no success. When she notices the doll, she asks for it, and in return she offers the Ribbon.
The next item is called the Dog Food, and yet again it can be found in Mabe Village. In the right room of Madam MeowMeow's House, YipYip will ask to trade for the Ribbon because she is in need of accessories. In return, she gives Link the Dog Food.
The fourth item in the Trading Sequence, the Bananas, can be acquired by trading with Sale, a crocodile that lives in a small house on the Toronbo Shores. He collects canned food, and therefore he is very happy to see the Dog Food. He gives Link some Bananas in exchange.
The Stick is the only Trading Sequence item that is actually required for the main quest. On Link's way to Kanalet Castle, he is stopped by a broken bridge. However, a Monkey by the name of Kiki is standing nearby, complaining about being hungry. If Link offers him the Bananas, he is very excited and calls his Monkey friends to help build a bridge. After they are done, Link can collect the Stick that they left on the ground.
The sixth item in the Trading Sequence can be collected after Link has completed the Key Cavern. In the Ukuku Prairie, Tarin can be seen standing beside a tree. He asks to borrow the Stick Link has and uses it to whack away at a beehive that is attached to the tree. The bees will chase Tarin off the screen, and leave behind the Honeycomb.
The next item in the Trading Sequence can be found in the Animal Village, in the house to the very southeast. Inside, Chef Bear declares that he has run out of ingredients. When Link allows him to use the Honeycomb in his food, he gives Link a Pineapple in exchange.
The eighth item in the Trading Sequence can be found in the Tal Tal Mountain Range area. Papahl, a man from Mabe Village, asks Link for food because he is so hungry. Link can give him the Pineapple, and in exchange Paphal gives Link a Hibiscus.
The Hibiscus can traded for the Letter with Christine, a goat woman who can be found in the Animal Village. She says that she loves flowers and Hibiscus are her favorite. In return for the Hibiscus, she asks him to deliver a letter for her to Mr. Write.
The Broom is given to Link by Mr. Write once he receives Christine's letter. A photograph is included, but it is not of Christine. Mr. Write appears to be oblivious and gives Link the only item he has – the broom – as thanks.
Grandma Ulrira, who has been in need of a new broom, is so excited when Link brings her one that she gives him the Fishing Hook. She states that she found the Fishing Hook when she was sweeping by the river bank.
Link can find the Fisherman under a bridge in Martha's Bay who is in need of the Fishing Hook. He promises to give his next catch if Link gives it to him. He ends up catching the Mermaid's Necklace from the water.
The reward for the Link's Awakening Trading Sequence is the Magnifying Lens. Link can place the Mermaid's Scale in the Mermaid Statue made by Schule Donavich in Martha's Bay in order to reveal a secret passage. The first room appears to be empty at first, but after obtaining the Lens, many enemies appear. The Lens allows Link to see things he couldn't before, such as the Secret Zora in Animal Village or the Secret Goriya at Toronbo Shores.
Once Link has the Magnifying Lens, he can use it to see the Goriya in a cave on Toronbo Shores. The Goriya trades Link the Boomerang for almost any item Link has assigned to the B button. He can also come back at any time to trade back or trade with a different item.
- ↑ "TRENDY GAME! One Play 10 Rs. Play No" — Trendy Game Shop Owner, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Because they all look alike, even I am sometimes confused. . . By the way, my baby wants a Yoshi Doll. I saw one at the Trendy Game, but I couldn't get it." — Papahl's Wife, Link's Awakening DX.
- ↑ "Oh! Will you give that doll to my baby?! Yes No" — Papahl's Wife, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Oh thank you! You are indeed a generous person! Ah! I will give you this in return!" — Papahl's Wife, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You traded your for ! Maybe you can trade the ribbon for something else!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " Make-up! Jewels! Dresses! I want it all! Sigh... And some new accessories would be nice... Oh! That Ribbon! I need it! Will you trade for my dog food? Yes No!" — YipYip, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You exchanged for ! It's full of juicy beef!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Welcome to Sale's House O' Bananas! I'm Sale, this is my house! Actually, my hobby is col- lecting rare and unusual canned food. My brother is an artist, so I guess strange hobbies run in the family! What's that you have?! It's canned food! For heaven's sake, man, give that to ME!! PLEASE! He's hysterical! What do you do? Give Don't" — Sale, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "MUNCH MUNCH!! ... ... ... ... That was great! I know it's not a fair trade, but here's some bananas! YUM..." — Sale, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Chi-kiita! Chi- kiita! Kiki the monkey! Hungry! Kiki the monkey!" — Kiki, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " ! ! Oooh! Ooh! Kiki! Monkees! Come! Repay him! Kiki!" — Kiki, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You found a stick a monkey left behind... You take it!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Oh?! Link , I see ya have a nice stick... Can I borrow it for a second? Can Can't" — Tarin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " became the honeycomb ! You're not sure how it happened, but take it!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " Rik'm rak'm! I ran out of ingredients! If I had honey, I could make this fit for a king!" — Chef Bear, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hi ho! Hey you! Is that possibly a you have? I just ran out! Will you swap it for a pineapple? Yes No" — Chef Bear, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Yep, Papahl got lost, just like he said! Now, I am so famished I can't move! Can you give me some vittles? Yes Nope" — Papahl, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "AH! This isn't meant to be a reward... Here, take this ! It's a hibiscus!" — Papahl, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You traded for a goat's letter ! ...Great!?" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You don't know the proper etiquette when dealing with a lady, do you? You should have brought flowers or something, then I might be more inclined to talk with you... Oh yes, in my case, hibiscus are best..." — Christine, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Oh, you brought me a hibiscus! How sweet! Well, since you are such a gentleman I have a request to make of you. Will you listen? Yes No" — Christine, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "I would like you to take this letter to a Mr. Write who lives on the border of the Mysterious Forest, please!" — Christine, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "What's this?! A letter for me?! I'm so happy! ...And look! The letter came with a photograph!" — Mr. Write, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Mmm... She's so beautiful... I must give you something for your trouble... Hmm... Well, it looks like all I have is this broom... how'll that be? Fine No..." — Mr. Write, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You got a Broom as your reward from Mr. Write! But that photo was not of..." — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "YAHOO! YAHOO! A new broom?! For me? It is, isn't it?! Yes No" — Grandma Ulrira, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Okay! In return you can have this fishing hook I found when I swept by the river bank!" — Grandma Ulrira, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Oh! What is that you have in your hand? It's not a fishing hook, is it? You had better let me have it. I'll give you my next catch if you let me have it... Okay No" — Fisherman, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "When I was swim- ming in the bay, the waves took a very important necklace from around my neck! If you find it, I will let you take a scale from my tail!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You returned the necklace and got a scale of the mermaid's tail. How will you use this?" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "When I was swim- ming in the bay, the waves took a very important necklace from around my neck! If you find it, I will let you take a scale from my tail!" — Martha, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " You put the missing scale in the mermaid statue!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " You've got the Magnifying Lens! This will reveal many things you couldn't see before!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "I found a good item washed up on the beach... I'll trade it to you for what you have in your B Button... Okay No" — Secret Goriya, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You got the Boomerang in exchange for the item you had." — Secret Goriya, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Okay, let's do it! When you don't want the Boomerang any more, come back!" — Secret Goriya, Link's Awakening.