The Dog Food is the third item in the Trading Sequence of Link's Awakening. After giving the Yoshi Doll to Mamasha, Link receives the Ribbon. He can use it to obtain the Dog Food by taking the Ribbon to CiaoCiao in Madam MeowMeow's House, who asks him for it because she is in need of new accessories. Link can then take the Dog Food to Sale in his house to further the Sequence and obtain the fourth item: the Bananas. Sale really likes canned foods, and the Dog Food makes him extremely excited.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, Link finds the Dog Food behind the counter at Stockwell's shop in Hyrule Town. He can sneak back there by going through Mama's Cafe in to his shop as a Minish. Stockwell tells him that the item is not for sale, explaining that it is just food for his dog. He says that if Link feeds his dog, then he can have the Bottle. He then tells him that his dog is at his home and marks its location on Link's map.
- ↑ " Make-up! Jewels! Dresses! I want it all! Sigh... And some new accessories would be nice... Oh! That Ribbon! I need it! Will you trade for my dog food? Yes No!" — CiaoCiao, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "MUNCH MUNCH!! ... ... ... ... That was great! I know it's not a fair trade, but here's some bananas! YUM..." — Sale, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "What's that you have?! It's canned food! For heaven's sake, man, give that to ME!! PLEASE! He's hysterical! What do you do? Give Don't" — Sale, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "I'm sorry, my good lad, but that is not for sale! That bottle contains food for my dear little dog, Borken... What? You just want the bottle? That's highly unusual... Well, fine. If you feed Borken, then I guess you can have the bottle. How does that sound? I'll do it ,No, thanks" — Stockwell, The Minish Cap.
- ↑ "Excellent, excellent. He's at my home right now. Thank you SO much." — Stockwell, The Minish Cap.
- ↑ "Allow me to mark the location of my home here on your map." — Stockwell, The Minish Cap.