The Mermaid's Scale is one of fourteen Trading Sequence items in Link's Awakening. After Link returns the Fishing Hook, the Fisherman in the Under the Bridge area fishes up the Mermaid's Necklace. Link can take this to the mermaid in the northwest of Martha's Bay. She complains that she has lost her necklace, and promises to give him a scale if he returns it. She keeps her promise and allows him to take only one scale.
Afterward, the Mermaid's Scale can be taken to the Mermaid Statue once Link obtains the Hookshot. A scale can be seen missing from it, as it is not yet complete. He can place the scale on the statue to move it aside, revealing a secret passage. Inside is the Magnifying Lens, the final reward for the Trading Sequence.
- ↑ "Oh! What is that you have in your hand? It's not a fishing hook, is it? You had better let me have it. I'll give you my next catch if you let me have it... Okay No" — Fisherman, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " The became a necklace ! L-l-lucky!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "When I was swim- ming in the bay, the waves took a very important necklace from around my neck! If you find it, I will let you take a scale from my tail!" — Mermaid, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Promise! You'll only take one!" — Mermaid, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You returned the necklace and got a scale of the mermaid's tail. How will you use this?" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "THE MOURNING MERMAID By SCHULE ? ...A scale is missing..." — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " Ya, I am Schule Donavitch! Zee mermaid statue by zee bay iz my masterpiece! ... To tell you zee truth, zis werk iz not complete! Zee art, it'z... difficult for you to grasp, iz it not?" — Schule Donavitch, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " You put the missing scale in the mermaid statue!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.