Ocarina of Time Biggoron's Sword Trading Sequence
The Ocarina of Time Trading Sequence is an optional trading quest that involves trading twelve items with various people. The reward for completing the sequence is the Biggoron's Sword, a two-handed weapon that deals more damage than the Master Sword. It is very similar to the Giant's Knife, which can be bought at Goron City, but unlike the Giant's Knife, the Biggoron Sword never breaks.
Before you tackle the Trading Sequence, there are a few requires and recommendations.
- Free King Zora from the Red Ice. (Required)
- Acquire Epona. (Optional)
- Plant Magic Beans at Zora's Domain and Death Mountain Trail. (Optional)
While it is certainly possible to complete the trading sequence without Epona, some of the timed quests will be a bit more difficult without her assistance. Also, you will need to reach the other side of the bridge at Gerudo Valley. If you don't have Epona, you will need to acquire the Longshot.
Since you can purchase Blue Fire from the shop in Kakariko Village and you can save Epona right when you become an Adult, you can complete the Biggoron's Sword before tackling any of the Adult dungeons.
The Giant's Knife is not an important item in the trading sequence and is not required, but it does give you a hint about the Biggoron's Sword. The sword is hinted at by Medigoron when you are a child, searching through Goron City. When you arrive at an Adult, Medigoron will sell it to you for 200 Rupees. However, it will break after just a few sword slashes.
After one night passes, a Pocket Cucco hatches from the collected Egg. It needs to be brought to Talon, who sleeps in a house in Kakariko Village. When Link takes out the Pocket Cucco in front of him, he wakes up and returns to Lon Lon Ranch. Link can now go to the Cucco Lady to gather a special Cucco.
After waking up Talon, the Pocket Cucco is happy. The Cucco Lady decides that Link is good enough at taking care of Cuccos that he can handle Cojiro, who used to belong to her brother and is no longer happy now that he has left. Link needs to bring Cojiro to a stranger in the Lost Woods. He gives Link the next item.
The guy in the Lost Woods is asleep when Link first arrives. However, once Link takes out Cojiro, he awakens and asks Link to take the Odd Mushroom to Granny in the potion shop of Kakariko Village. However, it disappears if Link takes longer than three minutes, so he has to move quickly. warp songs don't work.
In order to reach Granny, enter the Potion Shop in Kakariko Village, which is the last building on the right on your way to the Death Mountain Trail. From there, take the back exit to get to the back area of Kakariko Village. Here you can enter the somewhat hidden Granny's Shop. Granny obviously knows the person in the Lost Woods and calls the stranger a "bum". She then demands that Link gives her the Odd Mushroom. She makes the Odd Poultice and tells Link to give it to him. In the Nintendo 64 version of the game, this item is known as the Odd Potion.
When Link returns to the Lost Woods, he finds that a Kokiri named Fado has taken the place of the man. She tells Link that the previous person became a Stalfos and only his saw is left. She asks for the potion and in return gives him the Poacher's Saw.
NOTE: If you are playing the Nintendo 64 version of this game, you will not be able to get the Deku Nut upgrade if you have already acquired the Poacher's Saw, due to a glitch in the game, making this one of the Permanently Missable Items in Ocarina of Time. This glitch was resolved and does not effect the Nintendo 3DS version of the game.
Broken Goron's Sword
Link's next destination is Gerudo Valley. Link will need either Epona or the Longshot to cross the broken bridge. Talk to the Master Craftsman, the leader of the Carpenters, who claims the saw is his. If Link returns it, he offers the Broken Goron's Sword.
The creator of the broken sword is Biggoron, who can be found on top of Death Mountain. Once Link talks to him, he assures Link that his Swords are much better than the Giant's Knives made by his brother. He wants to repair Link's sword for free, but his eyes are irritated by the last eruption, so he cannot fix it. He wants Link to go to Zora's Domain to get some Eye Drops for him. Biggoron gives Link a Prescription.
Once Link arrives at Zora's Domain, he can talk to King Zora. The King tells Link that he only has the ingredients ― the Eyeball Frog. The Lake Scientist can use it to make the World's Finest Eye Drops, but it has to be delivered within three minutes or it will spoil.
World's Finest Eye Drops
The Lake Scientist is surprised to see the Eyeball Frog and thinks that it is for him to eat. However, once Link explains it to him, he quickly makes the Eye Drops. He tells Link that the drops will spoil if they are not delivered to Biggoron within 4 minutes.
Reaching Biggoron is the major challenge of the Trading Sequence. If you have Epona, and you planted the Magic Bean in front of Dodongo's Cavern, you should be able to make it, no problem. Without one or both of these, this method becomes a bit more difficult.
Alternatively, you can travel directly to Kokiri Forest, enter the Lost Woods, and take the passageway to Goron City. From there you can enter Death Mountain Crater and walk outside to find Biggoron. This one is a tad bit faster but perhaps slightly more confusing as you are jumping from location to location.
Biggoron is very relieved when Link presents the eye drops. He uses them right away and immediately feels better. Now able to continue his sword business, he gives Link the Claim Check and tells him to return after a few days.
N64 Game Icons
3DS Game Icons
N64 Get Item models
- ↑ "I bred a new type of miniature Cucco! I call it the Pocket Cucco! I don't get goose bumps from this baby. Cuccos are very good at getting lazy, late-risers out of bed. Haven't you heard of them before? It makes them very happy to crow: CUCCKOOOO! especially when it wakes up a very heavy sleeper! However, my Cucco is not entirely happy right now... You..., You look like you're good at handling Cuccos. Here, take this egg. After the Cucco hatches, bring it back to me after a while, and I'll check out its mood. What do you think? Will you try? Yes No" — Cucco Lady, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "You borrowed a Pocket Egg! A Pocket Cucco will hatch from it overnight. Be sure to give it back when you are done with it." — In-Game Description, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Look! A chicken hatched from the egg you were incubating! It's the miracle of life!" — In-Game Description, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Z Z Z... Malon...doing all right... Mumble...mumble... Sorry to make you worry..." — Talon, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "What in tarnation? Can't a person get a little shut- eye around here? Did you save Malon? Thanks! I'm goin' back to the ranch, then! Yeehah!" — Talon, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Oh, your Cucco looks pretty happy! He must have awakened an extremely lazy guy! You're a good Cucco Keeper! I'll give you a rare, valuable Cucco, if you're interested... Its name is Cojiro, and it used to be my brother's Cucco. Its blue body is quite charming. It's so cute! Since my brother has gone, it's strange, but Cojiro has stopped crowing. Do you want to keep Cojiro? Yes No" — Cucco Lady, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "?? No response. He's sleeping." — Navi, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Cojiro? Why? Normally only a nice guy like me can tame you... Which means... You... You must be a nice guy! Must be! You must be!! Please Mr. Nice Guy! Please! Deliver this stuff to the old hag in the potion shop in Kakariko Village!" — Master Craftsman's Son, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "This will disappear if you take too long, so you gotta hurry! OK I can't" — Master Craftsman's Son, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "That bum! He had to go into the forest... ..... I see. Hey, give it to me now! Yes No" — Granny, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "If you see that fool, give this to him. It is the strongest medicine I have ever produced. However, this potion will not work on a monster..." — Granny, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "That guy isn't here anymore. Anybody who comes into the forest will be lost. Everybody will become a Stalfos. Everybody, Stalfos. So, he's not here anymore. Only his saw is left. Hee hee." — Fado, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Hey, that saw! It's mine! But... I thought I left that saw with my old lady... Oh well..." — Master Craftsman, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "My Biggoron tool broke, so I was going to Goron City to get it repaired. Your coming here is great timing. Will you give me my saw? Yes No" — Master Craftsman, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Good kid! Thanks! I'm sorry that I can't give you something as good in return, but... take this anyway!" — Master Craftsman, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "My Brotherrrr... Opened a new storrrre... It's Medigoron's Blade Storrrrrrrre... Howeverrrrr... I am betterrrrrr at making bladessssss. Hylian carpenterrrrrs praise me forrrrrr my skillssssss. I'm not lyinnnnng..." — Biggoron, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "That broken knife is surely my worrrrrrrrrrk... I really want to repairrrrr it, but... But because of yesterrrrrday's errrrruption, my eyes are irrrrrrrritated... There are fine eyedrops in Zora's Domain... You will find them if you go to see Kinnnnnng Zorrrrrra..." — Biggoron, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Please go get the eyedrrrrrrops... Yes No" — Biggoron, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "You checked in the Broken Goron's Sword and received a Prescription! Go see King Zora!" — In-Game Description, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Ooh... This is... well... hmmm... Hmmm... Eye drops... You might say we have them, you might say we don't... We do have the ingredients. If you take the ingredients to the doctor at the lake laboratory, he can make the drops for you. But you need to deliver them fresh... Can you make it before they spoil? Yes No" — King Zora, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Oh, wow! I haven't seen an Eyeball Frog like this since Zora's Domain froze over! These eyeballs are so delicious! Tonight I will cook fried eyeballs for the first time in a long time! Uhoy hoy hoo houy hoy! Such great stuff! Please say thank you to King Zora! Eh? What?" — Lake Scientist, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "These are for making Biggoron's Eye Drops? Oh, how disappointing! You should have said so in the first place!" — Lake Scientist, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Here it is. This medicine doesn't have any preservatives in it. So it won't last long at this temperature. Run as fast as you can to Death Mountain. You're young-- you can do it!" — Lake Scientist, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Rrrrreally? You brrrrought the eye drops? I'm so rrrrrelieved! I'm going to use them rrrrrright now!" — Biggoron, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Wowwwwwwwwwwwwww!! This is stimulating! It's worrrrrking grrrrreat! Now I can get back to my blade business! My worrrrrk is not verrrry consistent, so I'll give this to you so you won't forrrrrget." — Biggoron, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Afterrrr a few days... Please returrrrrrn... Wait, just wait patiently..." — Biggoron, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "I maaaade thissss... Trrrrade for claimmm checkkk..." — Biggoron, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "That sworrrrd is my finest worrrrk!" — Biggoron, Ocarina of Time.