The Kokiri are a race of children that never grow up. They are present predominantly in Ocarina of Time, where they live in the Kokiri Forest under the watch of the Great Deku Tree, who is said to be their father.
Each Kokiri has his or her own fairy partner. Saria is one of the most notable member of the Kokiri race. Being, not only Link's best friend, but also the Sage of the Forest. The Kokiri are also under the leadership of Mido; a rude and disrespectful young man who adores Saria. In addition to that, they praise the deity in Kokiri Forest, the Great Deku Tree. The Kokiri also believe that they will die if they leave the forest.
Once Link returns to the Kokiri Forest as an adult in search of the Forest Temple, he finds that although he grew up, all the other Kokiris didn't. Because of this, most Kokiri do not recognize him, calling him mister and asking if he has ever meet a boy named Link. They all seem to have a mean attitude towards Link, as Mido apparently told them Link hurt the Deku Tree.
- Main article: Korok
In The Wind Waker, the Kokiri have changed to the form of Koroks. Only one member of the original Kokiri tribe appears in The Wind Waker, and that is the Sage of Wind, Fado. Fado is merely a spirit, killed by Ganondorf when he broke free of his seal before the flood.
- Although all the Kokiri believe that they will die if they leave the forest, they can be seen celebrating at the Lon Lon Ranch during the ending credits.
- ↑ 1.1 1.2 "Hey, have you seen your old friends? None of them recognized you with your grown-up body, did they? That's because the Kokiri never grow up! Even after seven years, they're still kids!" — Deku Tree Sprout, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ 2.1 2.2 "The children of the forest, the Kokiri, live here with me. Each Kokiri has his or her own guardian fairy." — Great Deku Tree, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Oh, you have a fairy now?! That's great, Link! What? You've been called by the Great Deku Tree? What an honor! He may give you a special gift! Tee hee! That's because the Great Deku Tree is our father, the forest guardian, and he gave life to all of us Kokiri!" — Kokiri, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "You and Saria are close friends, so will you help me cut the grass? I'll let you keep anything that you find while cutting it." — Kokiri, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Thank you... Because of you, I could awaken as a Sage... I am Saria. The Sage of the Forest Temple..." — Saria, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "House of the Great Mido Boss of the Kokiri" — Sign outside Mido's House, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ 7.1 7.2 "We Kokiri will die if we leave the forest! You're not going to try to leave the forest, are you?!" — Kokiri, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ 8.1 8.2 "Have you been travelling around much, mister? Have you ever met a boy named Link? Mido said that the Great Deku Tree withered because that boy did something wrong to it... Only Saria defended Link--until she left." — Kokiri, Ocarina of Time.