Lost Woods (Theme) (Ocarina of Time)
The Lost Woods are a staple location of The Legend of Zelda series, having appeared in seven games. It first appeared in The Legend of Zelda, and last appeared in Breath of the Wild. It usually takes on the form of a maze, with only one real path. The same screen repeats until Link takes the right direction a number of times. If a wrong turn is taken, the maze resets, and Link must start again.
The Legend of Zelda
The Lost Woods in The Legend of Zelda appears in southwest Hyrule, and guards access into the Graveyard. Link can learn the secret to getting past the woods by paying the Old Woman in the waterfall, who gives Link information. After paying her a decent amount, she tells Link the secret to getting past the Lost Woods, which is to get north, west, south, and west. Link can then use this information to traverse through the Lost Woods, allowing him to reach the Graveyard, and subsequently, the hidden Magical Sword and Level 6: The Dragon. Alternatively, if Link collects the Stepladder from Level 4: The Snake, he can cross the river on Death Mountain and access the rest of the overworld without passing through the Lost Woods. However, since the Stepladder is found in Level 6 in the Graveyard during the Second Quest, Link must pass through the Lost Woods to access that area.
A Link to the Past
- Main article: Lost Woods (A Link to the Past)
In A Link to the Past, the Lost Woods are located at the northwest portion of Hyrule within the Light World. After acquiring the three Pendants of Virtue, Link travels here to acquire the legendary Master Sword.
Ocarina of Time
Its inhabitants include Skull Kids, Deku Scrubs, and occasionally a Kokiri. Link first goes searching through the Lost Woods in search of Saria. Link eventually finds her in the Sacred Forest Meadow, directly under the entrance to the Forest Temple. It is here where Saria teaches Link Saria's Song, thus allowing them to communicate even when they are far away from each other. Link again visits the Lost Woods as an adult in search of the Forest Temple. The Kokiri believe that if a child gets lost, they turn into a Skull Kid. If an adult gets lost, they supposedly transform into a Stalfos.
Oracle of Seasons
The Lost Woods in Oracle of Seasons are found west from the Tarm Ruins and are located at the northwest corner of Holodrum. Its only inhabitants are a Deku Scrub. Link first goes to the Lost Woods to make it to the sixth dungeon, Ancient Ruins. The secret to getting past the Lost Woods is told to Link by a Deku Scrub, who says: "travel west, south, east, then north, taking each step in a warmer season than the last." If Link follows these directions, he can make it past the Lost Woods.
Later in the game, Link returns here during the trading sequence. After acquiring the Phonograph from Guru-Guru, Link can enter a small cave southwest of the Lost Woods. Inside, Link finds a Deku Scrub who is singing. If Link plays along with his Phonograph, the Deku Scrub loves it, and teaches Link the way to his "Secret Spot": "If temperatures rise as you go far to the west, you'll find it!" By following these exact directions, Link is lead to the resting place of the Noble Sword. This completes the trading sequence.
Four Swords Adventures
- Main article: Lost Woods (Four Swords Adventures)
The Lost Woods is the first stage of The Dark World, the fifth level of Four Swords Adventures. It was once known as the Forest of Light, but it was invaded by monsters and became a place of darkness. It is primarily inhabited by Deku Scrubs, who hid all Shovels in the area so that no one could find their underground road.
In Spirit Tracks, the Lost Woods can be found in the wooded area to the immediate west of Whittleton. If Link attempts to traverse the Lost Woods without first learning information from the villagers of Whittleton, he will surely get lost and have to start over. By listening to the villagers of Whittleton, he can learn that the trees tell Link where to go, except for the fourth tree, which has no sense of direction. Link can use this advice to get to the end of the Lost Woods and find the Forest Sanctuary.
A Link Between Worlds
Breath of the Wild
- Main article: Lost Woods (Breath of the Wild)
The Lost Woods are a location in Breath of the Wild.
- Main article: The Lost Woods (Battle Quest)
- ↑ "PAY ME AND I'LL TALK" — Old Woman, The Legend of Zelda.
- ↑ "GO NORTH,WEST,SOUTH, WEST TO THE FOREST OF MAZE" — Old Woman, The Legend of Zelda.
- ↑ "Oww! Sorry! Will you forgive me if I teach you something? If you are lost in the woods, travel west, south, east, then north, taking each step in a warmer season than the last." — Deku Scrub, Oracle of Seasons.
- ↑ "Doo, dee, dee Dee?" — Deku Scrub, Oracle of Seasons.
- ↑ "[sfx]Link, this is the Forest of Light. Or rather, it once was. Now, the darkness grows deep, and the air stagnant. I wonder if some clue might reveal itself here. It seems that many foul beasts are gathering here. Perhaps you might be able to learn something from them." — White Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Make sure that all who enter the forest remain here! Lord Ganon's orders! But we're trying to build an underground road that will let us go anywhere... Anyway, we've hidden every single shovel we could find! If there are no holes, no one will ever find our road. We're absolutely brilliant!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "You're going to the Lost Woods? Then here's a little advice for you. To avoid getting all turned around, listen to the trees, 'cause they talk a lot. Just don't listen to that fourth tree. It has no sense of direction." — Whittleton Villager, Spirit Tracks.