Lost Woods (Four Swords Adventures)
Access to Kakariko Village
When the Links first arrive, the White Maiden explains that this was once the Forest of Light, but monsters have invaded. The Deku Scrubs that live in the forest have taken to worshipping Ganon. In order to reach Kakariko Village, the Links must find the Dekus' underground road that they are building to reach any location. However, in order to prevent people from leaving the forest as Ganon ordered, they hid every Shovel that they could find. Fortunately, the Links obtain a Power Bracelet by helping Dekki and use it to access a Treasure Chest containing a key that opens the Shovel's hiding place. They find the secret road and exit to Kakariko.
The layout of the Lost Woods is understandably maze-like. Most areas are very similar: vaguely rectangular in shape with four different pathways leading in each direction. A Deku Scrub taunts them for how easy it is to get lost, and another claims that those who lose their way become scrubs as well.
Another notable feature of the woods is that there are many skull-shaped caves that the Links can descend into, which house things such as items or water jars. The Shovel is hidden in one of these.
The Keese Swarm is the first enemy encountered. It appears out of a bush in the area that the Links enter from. Anti-Fairies, Buzz Blobs, and Floormasters are the most common enemies, often appearing together. Floormasters grab the Links and take them into the Dark World, where Anti-Fairies await. A group of three Wizzrobes guard one of the stage's Small Keys. Once the Links stand on a switch in the Box formation, they appear.
Four swarms of seven bees also appear out of trees in certain locations. Two smaller Gohma serve as preparation for the larger one that is the stage's mini-boss.
Only one Keese appears in the whole level, in the Deku Scrubs' underground road.
There are six Shadow Links found in the stage:
- Two are found together near the beginning of the stage, where they charge at the Links and then crash into a wall and become dizzy. They award 100 Force Gems each.
- One is in a room where the Links must stand on a switch in the Box formation to obtain the Key.
- One is in an area accessible only with Roc's Feather with four switches that create two chests when activated.
- One is near the Great Fairy's fountain, where several Buzz Blobs are. There is also a Deku Scrub who complains about him.
- One is at the very end of the level, just before the Eye Barriers. He incessantly throws Big Bombs while the Links are in the area. They must find a secret hole in the ground with the Shovel in order to escape.
The main items used in the Lost Woods are the Lamp and the Shovel. Roc's Feather and the Bow are also required, but only used once. In addition, the Pegasus Boots and Bombs are available, but not necessary.
The Lamp is used many times to burn through tree trunks to open up new passages in the woods. The Shovel is an important part of the level, and the Deku Scrubs refer to it often, usually talking about how they use it for their own purposes. They dug an underground road with it, but in order to prevent intruders from finding it, they hid all of the shovels and stored away the key. Once the Links get the key after defeating Gohma, they can finally obtain the Shovel and find the road.
The Power Bracelet is received from Dekki, a Scrub who gives the Links work. He asks them to bring three items in a particular order. After they do so, Dekki gives them the Power Bracelet as thanks. The item is used to move trees blocking the path that ultimately leads to the Shovel's key. It can also lift a tree that hides a Force Fairy for the Links to capture.
Only one Heart Container is found throughout the stage in a room with a Deku Scrub. There are also many flammable objects and some water jars and oil pots in a nearby skull cave. In order to make the Heart Container's treasure chest appear, they must stand on four switches in box formation.
There is one Moon Pearl in the Lost Woods. After crossing a pit with Roc's Feather, the Links encounter a room with Shadow Link and four switches. Once they hit the switches, two chests appear. One of them contains 150 Force Gems, and the other has the Moon Pearl.
There are only two Small Keys in the Lost Woods level. The first one is obtained by stepping on switch in Box formation and fighting three Wizzrobes. The key is used on a cave in the same area, where the Pegasus Boots and Roc's Feather are located.
The second is the main key to the Shovel's hiding place. According to the Deku's Bulletin Board, they hid the key in the same place they got it from after locking the Shovel's location. It is found in a treasure chest after defeating a powerful Gohma, near a heavy log that must be lifted to jump over the gap back into the main part of the woods.
- Main article: Gohma
Gohma is the mini-boss of the Lost Woods. After defeating two much smaller Gohmas, the Links are faced with the mini-boss, which is much more powerful. As a result, it can both shoot fireballs and close its eye temporarily to avoid being hit. After it is killed, the Links can access a treasure chest with a key to the Shovel's resting place.
The denizens of the Lost Woods are almost exclusively Deku Scrubs. They all feel very comfortable in the darkness of the forest. Most of them are seen guarding the Shovel's resting place, but a few are scattered in other places throughout the woods. They all worship Ganon because he awakened them from their "slumber". As a result, many of the Deku Scrubs in the circle watching the Shovel speak about him and mention how he plans to spread the darkness of the woods to the rest of Hyrule. One of them also complains about how a Deku Scrub named Decci has disappeared.
Dekki and Deppi
There are two important Deku Scrubs, named Dekki and Deppi, who unintentionally help the Links through the level. They are found in the same area, although Deppi is in the normal world while Dekki prefers the Dark World because he likes dark places. When they first speak with Dekki, he asks if they are there to help. If they say yes, he tells them to bring Deppi three different items. The Links can fail the job and get fired if they bring him the items in the wrong order, however. Once they have completed their task, Deppi tells them to head down to Dekki in the Dark World. Dekki is impressed with their work, so he gives them the Power Bracelet.
A Great Fairy lives in the Lost Woods as well. However, the Deku Scrubs hid her away so that no one could upgrade the Shovels and find their secret road. She can be found within a cave blocked by an unmovable skull. In order to meet her, the Links need to defeat the five Buzz Blobs in the area outside her cave. The skull vanishes, and she will upgrade the Links' items.
- ↑ "[sfx]Link, this is the Forest of Light. Or rather, it once was. Now, the darkness grows deep, and the air stagnant. I wonder if some clue might reveal itself here. It seems that many foul beasts are gathering here. Perhaps you might be able to learn something from them." — White Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Everything's going swell lately! And we have Ganon, King of Darkness, to thank! Huh? Vaati? What's that? No, Vaati's old news. Ganon's the King of Darkness! Forget Vaati!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "I'm off to the Temple of Darkness to worship Lord Ganon! Oopipi!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ 4.1 4.2 "Make sure that all who enter the forest remain here! Lord Ganon's orders! But we're trying to build an underground road that will let us go anywhere... Anyway, we've hidden every single shovel we could find! If there are no holes, no one will ever find our road. We're absolutely brilliant!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ 5.1 5.2 5.3 "Nice work! You're not as worthless as you look, you know that? That's it! Job's done! You did well, so I'm gonna give you a special reward! A Power Bracelet! Put this on, and you can move even the heaviest things! You equipped a Power Bracelet! You feel like you can lift anything!" — Dekki, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Oopipi! Are you lost? Oopipipipipi! Yeah! Yeah! You'll be lost forever!!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "The Lost Woods is our birthplace! If you wander lost here for too long, you too can become a Deku Scrub!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "- Tingle Times - :Volume 5 Ooh, everywhere I go, woods, woods, and more woods! Lost Woods everywhere! Here's a solitary road sign just for you! :[^] Woods [<] [>] Woods :[v] Woods Perfect! :Tingle" — Tingle Times Vol. 5, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "I adore Lord Ganon, but that shady guy who looks like you ain't so great. He's not one of us, but he still pushes us around like he's some kinda big shot!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Digging holes in woods this big is tough work when your shovel's been taken away. We move four times as fast in Deku Scrub formation though, so it'll be a breeze. You know, I doubt anyone else could come up with such a cunning plan!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Uh-oh! I forgot about the hole I dug as a joke the other day... I'll need to sneak away later, grab a shovel, and look for it..." — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Gwee hee! I locked up the shovel and hid the key to keep strangers from finding it! And let's not forget my impeccable work guarding it personally! There's no way anyone will ever get their hands on the shovel!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ 13.1 13.2 "You ready? I'm gonna name three items, and I want you to remember each of 'em! I ain't repeating myself!! Then you go into the woods, nab 'em, and bring 'em back. And in order, you hear!?" — Dekki, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "-Deku Scrub Bulletin Board- If you're not a Deku Scrub, stop reading! Now!!! When you're done with the key used to lock the place where we hid the shovels, be sure to put it back where you got it from!" — Deku Scrub Bulletin Board, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Ah... I love darkness. It's so soothing, so relaxing." — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Thanks to Ganon, we were awakened from our slumber!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Soon, Lord Ganon's power will change all of Hyrule's forests into Lost Woods! Once that happens, we'll be able to travel freely!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Where the heck did Decci go!? That slacker should try helping out once in a while!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "If you want to help, you've got to ask Dekki! Dekki's around somewhere. He likes dark places, so go find him yourself!" — Deppi, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Hm. You're not a Deku Scrub, so why are you even here? Do you wanna help us? Yes No" — Dekki, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "So go take all those things I told you about and get 'em to Deppi in that order! You make any mistakes, and you're fired! Now, get movin'! Time's a-wastin'!" — Dekki, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Tell your pals to get the items IN THAT ORDER over to Deppi in the other world. You make any mistakes, and you're fired! Now, get movin'! Time's a-wastin'!" — Dekki, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Grrrrrr! That's not what you were supposed to bring! You're useless! You're fired!!" — Deppi, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "There's nothing left for you to give me! Get going and report to Dekki!" — Deppi, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "I captured the Great Fairy so that if someone steals my shovel... he won't be able to power it up!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.