Temple of Darkness
Rescue the Red Maiden
Like in many stages of Four Swords Adventures, several items are featured in the Temple of Darkness. The Links can obtain the Bow in the very first room, and they later use the Magic Hammer and Lamp. The Slingshot, Pegasus Boots, and Bomb are optional items that they can find.
Popos are the very first enemies the four Links find in the dungeon, and there are several of them in the second room of the temple. Stalfos are very common; Anti-Fairies, on the other hand, only appear in the Dark World. Rats, Blade Traps, and Wizzrobes are also sparse. Rats and Blade Traps are only located in dark rooms that must be lit with the Lamp, and Wizzrobes appear in one room with many conveyor belts, where they guard one of the dungeons keys.
Ball and Chain Soldier
- Main article: Ball and Chain Soldier
The Ball and Chain Soldier is the first mini-boss encountered in the Temple of Darkness. When the Links first enter the room, it is trapped behind many blocks, but the soldier can easily break them with his ball and chain. Once the blocks are broken, the Links can then get near enough to the enemy to attack it.
- Main article: Dark Stalfos
Two Dark Stalfos serve as another mini-boss. They are invincible while the Links are in the Light World, but as soon as they enter the Dark World, they become susceptible to attack.
- Main article: Phantom Ganon
The Links fight Phantom Ganon for the second time in this dungeon. However, unlike their previous duel at Hyrule Castle, Phantom Ganon splits into four different clones, all of which fire energy orbs at the Links. One orb is colored and can be hit back at the boss until one of the two parties miss. Once Phantom Ganon is hit, he is momentarily paralyzed and the Links can attack him.
When the Links first arrive at the temple, they find six Deku Scrubs waiting outside. One of them explains that they are there to make sure no "shady types" get into the temple. Another says that Ganon told them to search look for groups of four, but he does not believe that the Links are a threat, so he lets them go. Others came to pay their respects to Ganon, whom they worship. The last two warn the Links that they will not be able to survive the temple.
Some Deku Scrubs are found within the temple, too. The Links find one hiding within a room that the Deku claims is the foundation of a statue of Ganon after the explode a hole in the wall with a Bomb Flower. Once they create holes in both the north and south ends of the foundation, they can push it over a pit in the room to get to the other side, and the Deku is furious.
During the Infiltration of Hyrule Castle stage, the four Links rescued the White Maiden, who suggests that they head to the Temple of Darkness in search of the Dark Mirror to keep it safe from evil. However, after defeating Phantom Ganon and heading into the mirror's room, they find that it is missing.
They head into the next room and break the barriers to rescue the Red Maiden. She also expresses concern over the missing mirror. The White Maiden then mentions how she heard the Deku worshipping Ganon. The Red Maiden says that she heard a similar name in the desert, and she suggests that they head there to investigate. After the maiden is freed from her crystal and she assumes the form of a Fairy, the four Links can move on to the next level, The Desert of Doubt.
- ↑ "We're here to make sure no shady types get into the temple! You guys look like a bunch of weaklings, though. If you go in, you'll get stomped. Ah, but it's a free world... You can go get stomped if you want! Ha ha ha hah!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Lord Ganon told us to keep watch for any travelers moving in groups of four. And there are four of you, aren't there? Geh heh heh... But Lord Ganon would never be afraid of kids like you. He must mean someone else." — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Hey! Why have you come to the Temple of Darkness? Are you here to see Lord Ganon?!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Whew... I'm beat! I've come all the way from the Lost Woods to pay my respects." — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "The inside of the temple is a rough place. You'll get torn up in no time! You'd better be prepared!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "You'll learn how strong Lord Ganon is soon enough!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Grrr! What a bunch of thugs! Blowing up our foundation with your stupid little bombs! That's right! This is the foundation for the glorious Lord Ganon's statue! It's not done yet, so don't go manhandling it, punks! Just be careful, because if there are holes to the north and south of it, it'll move!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "Gwaaaaaaa!!! You... You moved our precious foundation! You... You dared to touch it!! What do you think you're doing? You're so mean!! Wahhh!!!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "We're planning a cool stone monument to put up here! The inscription's been finalized and everything! "1. Put four in a vertical line." That's what it'll say! Is that cool or what?!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "We're planning a sweet stone monument to put up here! The inscription's been finalized and everything! "4. Four push together as one." That's super sweet, right?" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "We're planning a stylish stone monument to put up here! The inscription's been finalized and everything! "2. Break oil pots." Now is that or is that not the very height of style?! Seriously, am I right?" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "We're planning a grand stone monument to put here! The inscription's been finalized and everything! "3. On the left wall." One of the best inscriptions ever, am I right?!" — Deku Scrub, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[sfx]Link... Thank you. You carry my hopes with you...as well as all of Hyrule's. Wait... Is that the blue royal jewel you carry? How did you come by it? Is that so? The Knights of Hyrule... So even the jewels are now... Link, all we can do is put our faith in the light and press on, overcoming each obstacle that confronts us. My forest has lost its light. Darkness covers it like a shroud. Link, will you go to the forest? Perhaps you will find some clues there. In the heart of the forest is a temple. The Dark Mirror can be found there. Long ago, a dark tribe invaded Hyrule. They were defeated and imprisoned within the mirror. The tribe's mirror prison was then secreted away and hidden in the forest temple to sever its connection to this world. That Dark Mirror must never fall into the hands of those with evil hearts." — White Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[sfx]Ah! The Dark Mirror... Someone's stolen the Dark Mirror! That mirror reveals the wickedness within a person and brings it to life. It's an item of terrible, dark power. No good can come from this. Shadow Link!! Could he be your evil reflection, cast by the Dark Mirror? If that were the motive of the mirror's thief... This is disastrous! If we don't get the mirror back, Hyrule will be overrun with evil Shadow Links. The mirror... Who took it? And where?" — White Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[sfx]The white maiden? I'm worried about the mirror, too. Who could've stolen it? And what of the other shrine maidens? Has Princess Zelda been rescued?" — Red Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[sfx]However, there is something that disturbs me. When those...things...first entered my woods, they spoke of their dark lord. "Ganon, Ganon," they chanted. It was as though they were...worshipping." — White Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[sfx]Ganon... I've heard that name before. No, wait... It was Ganondorf... But, no... That man was of the Gerudo tribe. I can't imagine these creatures worshipping some desert nomad. There's a Gerudo village in the desert. I doubt there is any connection, but it cannot hurt to check the village. Beyond the village lie ruins and an ancient pyramid. They are so old that no living creature knows very much about them. All I can tell you is that no one who sets foot in the pyramid ever returns. If one of the maidens is there, I fear for her safety. [sfx]Link... Despite all of this, we must go there. Let us be on our way! To the endless desert sands!" — Red Maiden, Four Swords Adventures.