A Link to the Past
"The Mysterious Moon Pearl
Legends told of a magic Moon Pearl that let people retain their human forms in the Dark World. There were many tales about the location of the pearl, and one of the most persistently retold was that it lay in a chest somewhere in the Tower of Hera. Sahasrahla sent Link a telepathic message urging him to find the famous pearl."
Link will experience the effects of the Dark World when he first enters that realm. The Dark World has the power to turn anyone into what their true heart reflects. Link turns into a pink bunny when he first enters the Dark World. The Moon Pearl must be in Link's possession to neutralize the effect. The Big Chest in the Tower of Hera holds the much-sought-after Moon Pearl."
If Link does enter the Dark World without it, he will have no choice but to warp back to the Light World and grab it in the Tower of Hera.
Four Swords Adventures
The Moon Pearl serves a different purpose in Four Swords Adventures. Instead of preventing the Dark World's effects, it causes a Moon Gate to appear in certain locations, which allows the Links go enter the alternate world.
The first Moon Pearl is obtained in the Village of the Blue Maiden. The old man at the entrance to the village describes the tragedy that befell their village and how they desperately need someone who can sense Moon Gates to help them. Kaepora Gaebora explains that due to the Four Sword, Link can see into the Dark World, and as a result he sees many shadows of people trapped within the alternate dimension. Whenever he reaches a potential Moon Gate, he feels a strange sensation. When he returns to the old man and tells him this, the man gives him a Moon Pearl in hopes that Link can save their village. After, Moon Pearls and Moon Gates appear in several stages and are used many times to enter the Dark World.
- ↑ "You found the Moon Pearl! This protects The Hero from the changing effects of the Golden Power." — In-Game Description, A Link to the Past.
- ↑ "Oh! Travelers! Listen! Calamity has befallen our town! First whirlwinds, and then mages! What are we to do? We need one who can sense the Moon Gates... So if you run across anyone who can do that, well... Be sure to let me know, OK?" — Old Man, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[sfx]Hoot hoo! Link, are you now able to wield the Four Sword? It's a sacred sword able to smite the darkness. And that's not all. It also grants you the power to see the shadowy Dark World. The people of this village... They're being spirited away by some force. It may be that the Dark World is drawing them in. Save the villagers, Link! Bring light to their darkness!" — Kaepora Gaebora, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "This place fills you with a strange sensation." — In-Game Text, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "... Incredible! You can sense the Moon Gates? Then perhaps you can save our village! ...Take a Moon Pearl to the spot where you sensed the Moon Gate. Then, the path you must follow will open." — Old Man, Four Swords Adventures.