Link must traverse the maze within the island's cave to find the friend of a meandering soldier. The soldier abandoned his friend while they were searching for a "golden treasure". The soldier tells Link that he can keep the treasure as long as his friend returns safely. The soldier's friend is found to be dead upon Link reading a tablet confirming his demise, in which he apologizes to the soldier for attempting to keep the golden treasure all to himself, and urges the soldier not to worry about him and move on with his life. The reward for navigating the maze is an Alchemy Stone. If Link does not read the stone tablet, the soldier continues searching for his compatriot. If Link reads the tablet and tells the soldier of what he read, the soldier becomes relieved that his friend isn't angry, and awards Link with a small treasure for helping.
The station is arranged as a 3x3 puzzle. Upon entering, go north twice, east once, then north twice again. Once you do, go to the lone tile in the room and play the Song of Discovery. This will unveil the Alchemy Stone (Priceless Stone if playing the pal version.).
- ↑ "See, I came here with my friend to uncover a golden treasure. Oh, uh... I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't spread that to the other soldiers, OK? We got halfway in, but then some big plant monster showed up! I was terrified, so I hightailed it out of there on my own." — Soldier, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Nothing, eh? You must have a pretty low opinion of me if you think I'll be fooled by that. But I guess I deserve it... After all, abandoning a friend is about as low as a person can get." — Soldier, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "What could have happened to my buddy? I guess he's still lost..." — Soldier, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Come on! Don't be like that! I'll tell you what! You can keep whatever treasure you find. I promise. I just want to see my friend return safely." — Soldier, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "To my eternal friend and treasure-hunting partner, I can't seem to find the way out. I believe I am hopelessly lost. I don't think I have much longer left, so I want to apologize to you. I had originally intended to claim the treasure for myself... Even though you always looked out for me. When you ran off, I thought nothing of it and went on to find the treasure. I was a fool. I want you to know that you shouldn't waste any worry on me. Just move on with your life and please, think of me every once in a while. You are, were, and will always be my dearest friend. Farewell." — Soldier's Friend, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "I see... So you have no idea what happened to him... How could I just abandon him? What was I thinking? But the fact that he's not here still gives me hope that he's not...not... Anyway, I'll go take a look myself. Thanks for everything!" — Soldier, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "This cave is basically one big maze. But there's a riddle that tells you the way to the treasure. From a room that knows no south, follow the rocky trail north and north... There in the north lies the treasure, waiting to be discovered. Got all of that? [.]Yep![.]Uh, again?" — Soldier, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Listen, you'd better just take notes. From a room that knows no south, follow the rocky trail north and north... There in the north lies the treasure, waiting to be discovered. Got all of that? [.]Yep.[.]Uh, again?" — Soldier, Spirit Tracks.