|This article has been nominated to be Featured. Please see the related discussion and cast your vote.|
|Spoiler Alert! This article describes a subject that is sensitive to plot development.|
Marin is an important character who appears in the game Link's Awakening. She is the daughter of Tarin and lives in Mabe Village on Koholint Island. When Link washes up on the beach, Marin discovers him and brings him back to her house, taking care of him until he wakes up. She is a girl with a mischievous side who likes to sing the Ballad of the Wind Fish and enjoys staring at the ocean. Unlike the other inhabitants of Koholint, she dreams of seeing the world beyond their island. In addition, the animals at Animal Village are very fond of her. They call her "Little Marin" and become very excited when she arrives, greeting her eagerly. Any animal who hears her sing is instantly captivated by the song. She also bears a striking resemblance to both Malon and Princess Zelda.
- 1 Story
- 2 Non-Canon Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Gallery
- 5 References
When Link first arrives on Koholint, Marin finds him unconscious at Toronbo Shores and takes him back to Mabe Village. At first, Link mistakes Marin for Zelda. Link heads back to the beach to retrieve his sword. When he returns, Marin is standing by the weathercock at the Flying Rooster's resting place. She explains that her father has gone into the Mysterious Woods to look for mushrooms, but she stayed behind to sing.
The Ballad of the Wind Fish
Soon after obtaining the Pegasus Boots, Link can complete the Dream Shrine and receive the Ocarina. If he speaks with Marin while he has the ocarina, she asks him to accompany her as she sings. Link then learns the Ballad of the Wind Fish, which is required to finish the game.
Once Link has completed Catfish's Maw, he tries to go to Yarna Desert to obtain the Angler Key. However, the path is blocked by a large sleeping Walrus. The people of Animal Village suggest that Link get Marin to sing for him, because the Walrus loves her music.
Link finds Marin sitting on Toronbo Shores, one of her favorite places to visit, staring at the ocean. She asks if he will sit next to her and talk. If he agrees, she talks about how her father believes there is nothing beyond Koholint and how excited she was when she discovered Link. She admits her secret wish to become a seagull so that she could fly away. Afterward, she agrees to go to Animal Village to awaken the Walrus, talking a lot along their travels.
When they arrive at Animal Village, they head through it to the path with the Walrus in East of the Bay and Marin sings for him. The Walrus awakens with a start. After that, one of the Rabbits from the village calls to Marin. She decides to stay in Animal Village for a while. The animals always enjoy hearing her sing, and she goes to the village often.
Traveling with Marin
While Link is traveling with Marin, there are a few events or pieces of dialogue that are permanently missable if not activated during this time.
- If Link and Marin go to the Trendy Game Shop, she asks to play. If he accepts, she uses the crane to pick up the Trendy Game Shop Owner. He declares that she must be a pro and that pros are not allowed.
- Many of the Island Quadruplets comment on the fact that they are traveling together.
- When Link takes out the Ocarina and plays a song, Marin says that it's not very good and then quickly tries to pretend she didn't say anything.
- At first, when Link attacks a Cucco, Marin expresses concern for the animal. She continues to say the same line for a while until finally she says, "Do it! Do it moooore!"
- She makes comments when Link digs with the Shovel, looks through people's drawers, or breaks pots.
- Marin refuses to enter a dungeon with Link. When he returns, she asks if he is hurt. If his hearts are low, she is horrified and declares that he is reckless.
PhotographsDX version of the game, the Photographer takes three different pictures of Link and Marin together. These photographs cannot be obtained after Link awakens the Walrus and Marin leaves him.
- At Toronbo Shores, Link and Marin stand on a cliff together, looking out at the ocean. Marin comments on how this is their first walk together. She says that this can be their secret place. The photographer captures the moment and adds it to the Photo Album.
- When Link falls down the well near the entrance to the Mysterious Woods, Marin tumbles after him and crushes him. She quickly apologizes. The Photographer happens to be there, so he takes a photo and calls it "Heads Up!"
- If Link and Marin pose in front of the weathercock, Tarin arrives and says that everyone should be in the picture, including him. The Photographer tells everyone to "Say mushroom!"
Encounter in the Tal Tal Mountain Range
On his way to Turtle Rock after finishing Eagle's Tower, Link finds Marin trapped on a bridge in the Tal Tal Mountain Range, pleading for help and bemoaning her fear of heights. She claims that monsters put her there. Link can save her by using the Hookshot on the platform behind her. Afterward, she is slightly surprised but she thanks him and begins to tell him something, but then Tarin shows up and calls for her. The Owl then reveals that Marin had sung the ballad for the Wind Fish.
Upon returning to Mabe Village, Link will find Marin near the weathercock again. After thanking him for everything he has done, she admits that she made a wish to the Wind Fish, but she refuses to tell him what it was. She also says that she knows that he will leave someday, and she asks him to never forget her.
Once Link awakens the Wind Fish, Koholint Island and everyone in it, including Marin, turn out to be a dream. However, if the game is completed without a single death, in the end cutscene, Marin makes a special appearance. In the original game, she is seen flying across the screen with a pair of wings. In the DX version, her face briefly appears in the sky, before fading away into the outline of a seagull. This likely refers to the conversation that Link had with Marin on the beach, where she wished she could become a seagull to fly away from Koholint.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Marin is depicted as a trophy. It can be obtained by unlocking the Sound Test. The trophy's description reads this:
Marin is a young girl who cares for Link after a shipwreck washes him up on the shores of Koholint Island. She's a talented harpist, well liked for her kind and gentle nature. She holds fast to the ideals of truth and honor; if Link happens to steal something during his adventure, she greets him with a shout of "THIEF!"
Marin is a character in Hyrule Warriors. She is unlocked by purchasing the Link's Awakening DLC pack in Hyrule Warriors and Hyrule Warriors Legends, or can be unlocked by completing square E-3 of the Koholint Island Map in Adventure Mode in Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition. She uses the water-element Bell as a weapon, which allows her to use music and waves of water to attack her enemies. In some of her combos and special attacks, she summons the Wind Fish, and she can be heard singing the Ballad of the Wind Fish when she leaves Focus Spirit early.
Likely due to being a later DLC character, Marin has no additional costumes. When defeated, Marin drops the same materials as Zelda. The silver drop is Zelda's Brooch and the gold drop is Zelda's Tiara.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Marin appears as a support spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. She is obtainable by fighting a spirit battle in the World of Light game mode. During the battle, the player must defeat Link and Zelda on the Tortimer Island stage. If the player touches the bottom floor, they will fall asleep. Once unlocked, Marin provides the "Irreversible Controls" ability, which makes the player immune to left-and-right control reversal.
- Marin is extremely similar to Malon in both name and appearance. They both possess red hair, love to sing, and have a strong affinity for animals. Their fathers, Tarin and Talon, also have similar names. Hyrule Historia suggests that Marin and Tarin may be the product of Link's memories of Talon and Malon.
- Interestingly, much of Marin's artwork depicts her with a lyre, although she is never seen using one in game.
- If Link's Awakening is completed without a single death, Marin appears during the ending, with her wish to become a seagull and fly away seemingly fulfilled. In the Game Boy version, she is seen with wings and flies across the screen. In the DX version, her image appears momentarily and then fades into the silhouette of a seagull flying.
- Malin Bay from Breath of the Wild is likely named after Marin, due to "Malin" being a possible romanization of her Japanese name.
Artwork of Marin from the German strategy guide
Marin singing to Link at the weathercock in the 2019 remake
- ↑ "Link was rescued by a girl named Marin who lived on the island. He woke up in a house belonging to Tarin, where the two made their home." — pg. 102, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
- ↑ "Marin? She likes to go stare at the ocean all by herself... Why? Hey, I'm just a kid, don't ask me!" — Island Quadruplet, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Marin. A girl who loves to sing and nurses Link back to health after he is washed ashore. She has a mischievous side and longs for what might lie beyond the sea surrounding Koholint." — pg. 232, The Legend of Zelda: Encyclopedia
- ↑ "The more Link came to know Marin, the more she seemed different from the other island inhabitants who believed that there was nothing beyond the sea." — pg. 231, The Legend of Zelda: Encyclopedia
- ↑ "HI HO! Little Marin! Welcome! ... ... ... ... Oh, shucks! You are here too... Sorry..." — Chef Bear, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " Ahhh! It's her! Little Marin!!" — Rabbits, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "... ... ... ... It seems to be totally absorbed in Marin's song!" — In-Game Description, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Marin bears an uncanny resemblance to Princess Zelda." — pg. 28, Link's Awakening Manual
- ↑ 9.1 9.2 "Similar characters also appear in Holodrum, and in Hyrule during the Era of the Hero of Time. Tarin and Marin may be the product of Link's memories of Malon and her father Talon, of Lon Lon Ranch." — pg. 102, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
- ↑ "What a relief! I thought you'd never wake up! You were tossing and turning... What? Zelda? No, my name's Marin! You must still be feeling a little woozy. You are on Koholint Island!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hi! Tarin went to the forest to look for toad- stools, but I'd rather sing. Listen to this, it's called the 'Ballad of the Wind Fish.'" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hey! That's a nice Ocarina you have there! Will you accompany me as I sing?" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hi ho! Yeah, I know, that tub of goo is asleep right in the way to Yarna Desert! Once he's asleep he won't budge for a loooooonng time. But hey! Take Little Marin and wake him up with her song! That slob would wake up with a jump if he heard her sing, for sure! Heh heh heh!" — Chef Bear, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You might check near the seashore, one of her favorite places, then lead her back to the walrus." — Link's Awakening Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 47
- ↑ "Oh, Link , I'm glad you found this place. Will you stay and talk to me for a while? Yes! No..." — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "I wonder where these coconut trees come from? ...Tarin says there is nothing beyond the sea, but I believe there must be something over there... When I discovered you, Link , my heart skipped a beat! I thought, this person has come to give us a message..." — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... If I was a sea gull, I would fly as far as I could! I would fly to far away places and sing for many people! ...If I wish to the Wind Fish, I wonder if my dream will come true... ... ..." — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hunh? The walrus wants me to go to him? It doesn't matter, I will go with you to him..." — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "When she tags along, she talks a lot." — Link's Awakening Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 106
- ↑ "Aha ha ha! Wow! He certainly woke with a start!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hunh? Oh, he's calling me... It's the same as always... Ha ha!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " Link , I'm going to the Animal Village! Please drop by, okay?" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Oh, Link . I often come to this village to sing, too! It seems that just about everyone loves my 'Ballad of the Wind Fish!' Link , what is your favorite song?" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " Wow! Link , can I try this?! What do you say? Okay No Way" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "You're good! You're a pro, aren't you? ... ... ... ... Well, beat it! Pros aren't allowed in here!" — Trendy Game Shop Owner, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hey... Where're you two going together? Hunh? Uh, I didn't mean anything... I'm just a kid!" — Island Quadruplets, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Not very good... Eh? What? Did I say something? No, you're hear- ing things..." — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "No! No! Poor hen! Stop that!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Ha ha ha! Do it! Do it! Do it moooore! ... ... Hunh? No, it's nothing... I didn't mean it." — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Great! Dig it! Dig it! Dig to the center of the earth!!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Link , do you always look in other people's drawers?" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " Ahhh! Ahhh, you are a bad boy, Link !" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Eh? You want me to go in there? No, I think I'll wait out here... Take care of yourself, Link !" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Link ! You're back! Are you hurt?" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " ...EEEK! You're hurt! Arrrgh! Don't be so reckless!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "This is my first walk with you, Link ." — Marin, Link's Awakening DX.
- ↑ "This cliff will be our secret place." — Marin, Link's Awakening DX.
- ↑ "Oh how I love pictures! Why don't you take a picture when no one is around? You can call it . . ." — Marin, Link's Awakening DX.
- ↑ "I'll go develop this. Come see it later, OK?" — Photographer, Link's Awakening DX.
- ↑ "Ohh! I'm sorry! Are you okay?! Link ?" — Marin, Link's Awakening DX.
- ↑ "Hi! I'm the photographer! What a great photo moment! I'll call this 'Heads Up!'" — Photographer, Link's Awakening DX.
- ↑ "Hey, Marin and Link ! Are you taking pictures? You should take pictures of everyone, including me." — Tarin, Link's Awakening DX.
- ↑ "I use this to take pictures. Are you ready? Say 'mushroom!'" — Photographer, Link's Awakening DX.
- ↑ "Somebody, HELP!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "There you'll find Marin caught on a dilapidated bridge." — Link's Awakening Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 76
- ↑ "Hey! Link ! Some monsters put me up here! What should I do?! I'm afraid of heights!!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "The rogues have abandoned her there." — Link's Awakening Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 76
- ↑ "Marin will hold on as you use the Hook Shot to cross the remaining span." — Link's Awakening Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 76
- ↑ "Yow! That was a surprise! Link , thank you! ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Say... Link ... Uhh... I don't know how to say this... but... Hunh?! Tarin??! ... ... ... ... Uh... Nevermind, I... I gotta go!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Hoot! That girl sang her song in front of the Egg! Her 'Ballad of the Wind Fish' is a song of awakening! Did she actually intend to wake the Wind Fish?! The next Sirens' Instrument is in the west. Play your melodies so the unliving stones might hear! Show your courage! The Wind Fish waits for you! Hoot!" — Owl, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Thank you for everything! Link , you are the kindest boy I know. One day I made a wish to the Wind Fish... What was the wish? It was... No, it's secret!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " Link , some day you will leave this island... I just know it in my heart... ...Don't ever forget me... If you do, I'll never forgive you!" — Marin, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ " ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I AM THE WIND FISH... LONG HAS BEEN MY SLUMBER... IN MY DREAMS... AN EGG APPEARED AND WAS SURROUNDED BY AN ISLAND, WITH PEOPLE, ANIMALS, AN ENTIRE WORLD! ... ... ... ... BUT, VERILY, IT BE THE NATURE OF DREAMS TO END! WHEN I DOST AWAKEN, KOHOLINT WILL BE GONE... ONLY THE MEMORY OF THIS DREAM LAND WILL EXIST IN THE WAKING WORLD... SOMEDAY, THOU MAY RECALL THIS ISLAND... THAT MEMORY MUST BE THE REAL DREAM WORLD... ... ... ... ... COME, Link ... LET US AWAKEN... TOGETHER!!" — Wind Fish, Link's Awakening.
- ↑ "Just announced! Marin from Link’s Awakening will be available in the 2nd #HyruleWarriorsLegends DLC for #3DS + #WiiU" — Nintendo of America on Twitter, https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/713902200120979460