- This article is about the Goron in Ocarina of Time. For the town in The Adventure of Link, see Mountain Town of Darunia.
Darunia is the patriarchal leader of the Goron Tribe located on Death Mountain in Ocarina of Time. He is notable for his large temper and significant size and girth. Like other Gorons, he bears markings resembling the Gorons prized treasure, the Goron's Ruby, also known as the Spiritual Stone of Fire.
Link first meets Darunia within Goron City, an enormous cavern built within Death Mountain. Link plays Zelda's Lullaby to gain access to his room; however, upon seeing Link, Darunia is insulted as he was expecting the messenger of the royal family, not a child. Link manages to lighten Darunia's heart by playing him Saria's Song, which sends him into an amusing dance. Afterwards, Darunia listens to Link's plight and agrees to give him the spiritual stone, but only if he defeats the Dodongos that have infested Dodongo's Cavern. After Link accomplishes his task, Darunia considers him a sworn brother and an honorary member of the tribe.
After Ganondorf gains the Triforce of Power and takes over Hyrule, Link assists Darunia in the Fire Temple located in the Death Mountain Crater. Link is informed of the location of said dungeon from Link the Goron. His father, Darunia, named him after Link because he defeated King Dodongo and saved the Gorons from starvation. He believed that Link would be a good example for his child because of his bravery and heroism. Darunia insists on taking on Volvagia, a dragon revived by Ganondorf to terrorize the Gorons; however, he is not confident as he does not hold the "legendary hammer", a weapon used long ago by Darunia's ancestor to defeat Volvagia. Darunia asks Link to free his brothers which have been imprisoned throughout the Fire Temple. Eventually, Link defeats Volvagia using the Megaton Hammer, and Darunia is then revealed as the Sage of Fire. Darunia does not forget that he considers Link a sworn brother and reminds him of this, before Link leaves the Chamber of the Sages.
In the story proper, Darunia is drawn into the conflict when a Gate of Souls opens in his world. Manipulated by Wizzro in the disguise of Zelda, he abducts Ruto and readies the Gorons for war. However, Impa and Sheik manage to snap Darunia back to his senses by defeating him in battle, after which he frees Ruto and pledges the Gorons' assistance to the Hyrulean Army. After this, he is playable.
- ↑ "What the heck! Who are you?! When I heard the song of the Royal Family, I expected their messenger had arrived, but... you're just a little kid! Has Darunia, the big boss of the Gorons, really lost so much status to be treated like this by his Sworn Brother, the King? Now, I'm REALLY angry! Get out of my face, now! Are you asking why I'm in such a bad mood right now? Ancient creatures have infested the Dodongo's Cavern! We've had a poor harvest of our special crop, Bomb Flowers! Starvation and hunger because of the rock shortage! But..." — Goron, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Heeey!! What a nice tune! Just like that, my depression is all gone! Something just came over me! I suddenly wanted to dance like crazy! I am Darunia! I'm the big boss of the Gorons! Was there something you wanted to ask me about? What? You want the Spiritual Stone of Fire, too? The Spiritual Stone of Fire, also known as the Goron's Ruby, is our race's hidden treasure.... But hold on--I'm not going to give it to you that easily. If you want it so badly... Why don't you go destroy the monsters inside of the Dodongo's Cavern and prove you're a real man? That way, everybody will be happy again! If you do it, I will give you anything you want, even the Spiritual Stone! I have something for you. I'm not really giving you this in return for anything, but take it anyway. If you wear this, even a little fella like you can pick a Bomb Flower using (A)." — Darunia, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Destroy the monsters in the Dodongo's Cavern and become a real man! Then, we can talk about the Spiritual Stone!" — Darunia, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "It's me, Darunia! Well done! Thanks to you, we can once again eat the delicious rocks from the Dodongo's Cavern until our stomachs burst!" — Darunia, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "What? Your name is also Link? Then you must be the legendary Dodongo Buster and Hero, Link! My dad is Darunia... Do you remember him? Dad named me Link after you, because you're so brave! It's a cool name! I really like it! Link, you're a hero to us Gorons! I'm so glad to meet you! Please give me your autograph! Sign it: "To my friend, Link of the Gorons" Oh... I guess it's not a good time to ask you for this... Please help everyone! My dad, Darunia, went to the Fire Temple. A dragon is inside! If we don't hurry up, even my dad will be eaten by the dragon!!" — Link the Goron, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Who's there? Is that you, Link...? Oh, it really is Link! You've grown so big since I last saw you! I want to have a man-to-man talk with you, but now's not the time. Ganondorf is causing trouble on Death Mountain again! He has revived the evil, ancient dragon Volvagia! On top of that, he is going to feed my people to that evil dragon as a warning to other races that might resist him... If that fire-breathing dragon escapes from the mountain, all of Hyrule will become a burning wasteland! I will go on ahead to try to seal up the evil dragon... I'm concerned, though, because I don't have the legendary hammer... But I have no choice. Link...I'm asking you to do this as my Sworn Brother... While I'm trying to deal with the dragon, please save my people! The prisoners' cells are in the opposite direction. I'm counting on you, Link!" — Darunia, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ " By the way, I, the wild Darunia, turned out to be the great Sage of Fire... Isn't that funny, Brother? Well, this must be what they call destiny. Nothing has made me happier than helping you seal the evil here!" — Darunia, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Hey, Brother, take this! This is a Medallion that contains the power of the fire spirits--and my friendship." — Darunia, Ocarina of Time.