|Spoiler Alert! This article describes a subject that is sensitive to plot development.|
Medli is a character in The Wind Waker. She aids Link on his quest to calm Valoo in Dragon Roost Cavern. She carries a golden harp which has been passed down over many generations. Her clothes are decorated with a symbol resembling the Zora's Sapphire as seen in Ocarina of Time.
Medli is studying to become the attendant of Valoo, the deity of the Rito Tribe and guardian of Dragon Roost Island. She is described as being serious and sincere, as well as a hard-worker. She also has a talent in playing the harp. Due to her attendant studies, she has some understanding of the ancient Hylian Language, allowing her to understand some of the words spoken by Valoo, who only speaks in ancient Hylian. Her mentor was the grandmother of Prince Komali, a Rito who she developed a strong bond with. Medli explains that one day, Komali's grandmother saw her carrying her harp, and realized that Medli had a great fate in store for her, so she took her in as a student. However, after her teacher died, the prince went into isolation, and Medli blames herself for not being as great of a woman as his grandmother.
Dragon Roost Cavern
Link is first directed to Medli by the Rito Chieftain, who tells Link that Medli is carrying an item that he wants delivered to his son, Komali. Link finds Medli in one of the island's upper rooms. She comments on his clothes (either describing them as "green" or "blue", depending on whether Link is playing through the game for the first or second time on his file) and, after introducing herself, hands Link the Father's Letter. Before Link leaves, she asks if he will meet her later on outside of Dragon Roost Cavern because she has a favor to ask.
Upon meeting Link after he has delivered the letter, Medli informs him of her intentions to calm Valoo, who has been raging at the top of the island, by visiting the shrine at the peak of Dragon Roost. She isn't very confident in her flying, but she needs to reach the higher ledge that leads to the cavern. Link can aid her by picking her up and throwing her to the ledge while the wind is blowing in the right direction. Medli thanks Link and rewards him with an Empty Bottle. She asks that Link keeps her expedition up the mountain a secret.
On her way to Valoo, Medli is eventually imprisoned by Moblins. Link later enters the cavern and rescues her. She urgently tells him that she learned that Valoo is acting angry because a monster is inhabiting the room that his tail falls into. She promises to hurry back and explain to the other Ritos what is happening. Medli then gives Link the Grappling Hook for saving her, an item the Ritos used before they evolved wings. After showing him how to use it, she tells him not to worry about her as he goes up ahead.
Link next sees Medli after defeating the monster beneath Valoo. She appears with Komali and urges him to apologize for his earlier behavior. Valoo then thanks Link in Hylian, and Medli translates his message as telling Link to use the wind god's wind at the Wind Shrine. Valoo also declares Link a true hero, which Medli eagerly agrees with. Finally, Medli and Komali run off, with Medli giving Link one last thank you.
Later in the game, the Master Sword is revealed to have lost its power to repel evil. In search of a resolution, Link visits Headstone Island and meets the Earth Sage, Laruto, who once prayed to keep this power intact, but was killed by Ganondorf. She tells Link that in order to restore the Master Sword's abilities, he must find her descendant and successor, identifiable by their possession of the harp she once used, and bring them to the temple to become the new sage. She claims that the Earth God's Lyric will awaken them to their true destiny.
Medli's harp is identical to Laruto's, and she is busy practicing on Dragon Roost Island. When Link conducts the Earth God's Lyric for Medli on the Wind Waker, she comments that the song feels familiar before passing out. When she awakens again, she is armed with the knowledge that she is the Earth Sage. She tells Link to take her to the Earth Temple on Headstone Island. Though Komali passes overhead, she tells Link she wants to leave quickly, so that Komali only remembers her as an attendant.
Medli is an integral part to navigating the Earth Temple. The King of Red Lions tells her before they enter the Earth Temple that she should come when Link calls her. Additionally, he instructs Medli to fly and carry Link through the air if necessary. Medli can also be controlled by Link if he conducts the Command Melody using the Wind Waker. She tells Link within the temple that she is not very confident, but she will do her best to fly to inaccessible places if Link needs it. Medli can also use her harp to reflect light, which can be combined with Link's Mirror Shield to complete some puzzles.
Upon defeating Jalhalla, Medli assists in restoring the Master Sword to its true state by playing the Earth God's Lyric on her harp. She remains in the temple to continue praying, telling Link to hurry and locate the Wind Sage to restore the rest of the sword's power.
- The symbol on the front of Medli's robe strongly resembles the symbol of Nayru, which is commonly associated with the Zora tribe in objects such as the Zora's Sapphire. This is evidence of the fact that the Rito tribe that Medli is a part of evolved from the Zoras.
- ↑ "Oh, me? I'm an attendant to the great sky spirit, Valoo. My name is Medli. Well, to tell the truth... I'm not an attendant quite yet. I'm actually still studying to be one." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Medli Birthplace: Dragon Roost Island Personality: Serious and sincere Medli is Valoo's attendant, and as such puts incredible effort into everything she does. Even so, there are times when she seems to be spinning her wheels. Her greatest treasure is the harp that she carries on her back." — Medli's Figurine Description, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "The top of that cliff is Medli's special spot. That girl really is a hard worker. She's beginning to fill the shoes of her teacher." — Kogoli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "You can hear that song coming from up on the cliff, can't you? Mmmm... Such beautiful tone. Medli's really gotten good." — Kogoli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Don't worry, I'll be fine! I may be just an apprentice attendant, but I can understand some of the great Valoo's language." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "This instrument is called one of fate's tools. Prince Komali's grandmother saw me carrying it one day and called out to me to stop. She'd seen my fate in the curves of the instrument, you see. She eventually became my teacher, and that's how I became the attendant you see before you today." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "I may be partially to blame for the bad turn that Prince Komali's taken... See, Prince Komali's grandmother was the great Valoo's former attendant. She was an amazing woman. I was honored to have her as my teacher... She was kind and brave, and unsurpassed in her dealings with the great Valoo. I'm not yet worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as her. If only I'd possessed some of her strength, I'm sure Prince Komali would have felt more secure." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "I have something I wish for you to give to my son. A young girl named Medli is holding it for me. Would you find her and take it?" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "You should find Medli in one of the upper rooms. Leave the great Valoo to us. In the meanwhile, do your best to aid Prince Komali!" — Quill, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Wow! You really DO have green clothes and a strange-shaped hat... You're [Link], aren't you?" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Wow! You really DO have blue clothes... with a picture of a crawfish on them! You're [Link], right?" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Oh, me? I'm an attendant to the great sky spirit, Valoo. My name is Medli. Well, to tell the truth... I'm not an attendant quite yet. I'm actually still studying to be one. Oh, what am I thinking? Here! This is from the chieftain. [Link], he wants you to give this directly to Prince Komali. The room way in the back on the first floor is Prince Komali's room. You have to go down a couple steps to get there." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "By the way, ummmm... Listen, [Link]... I have a small favor I'd like to ask of you... Could you please come to the entrance of Dragon Roost Cavern later? ...I'll explain everything then." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "[Link], I'm sorry to ask this... but I need your help! I want to go to the small shrine that's near the peak of Dragon Roost, but that ledge over there is so high... If I could get some wind under my wings, I'm sure I could get up there." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Oh, please? I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important! It's just that...I'm not that good at flying yet..." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Whew... Thank you so much! OK, pick me up. Then face that ledge and toss me! The atmospheric currents are really messed up, so pay close attention to the direction of the wind." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "I think now I'll be able to climb Dragon Roost and meet with the great Valoo! Don't worry, I'll be fine! I may be just an apprentice attendant, but I can understand some of the great Valoo's language." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "This is all I have to give you. I know it's not much, but please take it!" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Oh, and please don't tell anyone that I'm climbing Dragon Roost! It'll be our secret, OK? Well, good luck! ...To both of us." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "[Link]! You came to rescue me! Oh, thank you!" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "I have to tell you what I found out! This is terrible! ...Some creature is doing awful things to the great Valoo's tail! That's why he's so angry! The great Valoo's tail hangs down into the room right below here. There's got to be something in there... I wonder if those mean monsters who captured me have something to do with it..." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "We've got to do something! Now! Before it's too late! I'll go and tell everyone what's happening!" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Here, [Link]! Use this to get out of here! It's what I used to get this far. It's a device we Rito used before we evolved wings." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Grab this branch with the Grappling Hook and you can swing over there to get out of this area! When you aim at a branch that you can latch onto, [Target lock mark] will appear. Remember that! Don't you worry about me, [Link]. Get going!" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "[Link]! Well, Prince Komali? Don't you have something you want to say?" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "O Hero! Thank you! O Hero! Use the wind god's wind!" — Valoo, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Use the wind god's...wind? That's what he said, but I don't understand. I wonder what it means? The wind god's wind... I wonder if what he's talking about has anything to do with the Wind Shrine that's through that tunnel..." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Oh, I almost forgot! The great Valoo also names you, [Link], a true hero. I agree with him. As far as we're concerned, [Link], you really ARE a hero!" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Thanks so much, [Link]. See you again someday!" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "O great hero, chosen by the Master Sword! My name is Laruto. I am a Zora sage. For an age, I offered my prayers here in the Earth Temple, praying that the power to repel evil would ever remain within the Master Sword. And yet...unfortunately, due to Ganondorf's evil designs, the Master Sword you hold has lost this power. After his defeat at the hands of the Hero of Time, Ganondorf was sealed away...but not for all time. He was revived, and he returned to Hyrule in a red wrath. He attacked this temple and stole my soul, knowing that he had to remove the power contained in that enchanted blade. In order to return the power to repel evil to your sword, you must find another to take my stead in this temple and ask the gods for their assistance." — Laruto, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "You must find the one who carries on my bloodline... The one who holds this sacred instrument... Nothing can stop the flow of time or the passing of generations...but the fate carried within my bloodline endures the ravages of all the years. It survives." — Laruto, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "The song you just conducted is one which will open the eyes of the new sage and awaken within that sage the melody that will carry our prayers to the gods." — Laruto, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Hey, is that the Wind Waker?! Wow! [Link], will you conduct me? I wonder how I'll do..." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Hmm... What a mysterious song... It sounds so...familiar. It's almost as if something I've forgotten is trying to be remembered... Oh... I feel..." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Just now, a sage spoke to me. She spoke so gently... There's something...something that I must do. [Link]... Thanks to you, I've been awakened to the knowledge that I'm a sage of the Earth Temple. There's actually something that I can do to help this world. It's incredible... I bet my teacher knew all about this..." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "[Link], please... You must take me to the Earth Temple. We must hurry and wake the power to repel evil that sleeps within the Master Sword." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Let's go now, quickly and quietly. Oh, Komali... I just want him to remember me as a simple attendant..." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Medli, listen carefully to what I am about to tell you. The temple ahead is the nest of an evil creature...the same creature that stole the life of your predecessor, the sage. It is a dark and frightening place. That is why, if you do nothing else, then at least do this... If [Link] comes near you and presses [R] to call you, then be silent, and follow closely behind him." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "And if [Link] presses [A], allow him to lift you, and if need be, fly and carry him through the air." — King of Red Lions, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "And [Link]... If Medli gets stuck and cannot continue in the temple, use the Wind Waker to conduct the song you learned in the Tower of the Gods. Do you understand?" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Well, [Link]... I'm not very confident, but I think I should try to fly... I'll fly where you tell me to... Just tap [A] to keep me airborne! OK, whenever you're ready... Just use the Wind Waker to guide me." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Medli's harp is twinkling in the light! Use it to turn Dark ChuChus to stone!" — Tingle Tuner, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Medli, the Sage of Earth, and Makar, the Sage of Wind, offered up their prayers and restored the power to repel magic to the Master Sword." — pg. 127, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
- ↑ "[Link], the power to repel evil is not yet fully awakened. To complete the awakening of the Master Sword, you must go to the Wind Temple for one more prayer. Now, [Link]... Step into the light behind you and return to the surface. Your next duty is to find the sage of the Wind Temple. I will remain here and continue to pray. You must hurry!" — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "The Zora tribe, who now bear birdlike beaks, have transformed into the Rito." — pg. 128, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia