- This article is about the Rito leader from The Wind Waker. For the Rito leader from Breath of the Wild, see Kaneli.
The Rito Chieftain is the father of Prince Komali, and worries deeply about his son after he shut himself away when his grandmother died. When Link arrives on Dragon Roost Island, he meets the Rito Chieftain. The Chieftain has already heard about Link from Quill and the situation with Aryll. The Chieftain agrees to offer any assistance his people can give.
However, their guardian spirit, Valoo, has been acting up with anger, so he cannot help Link immediately. The Chieftain explain to Link that when a Rito becomes of age, they journey to the top of Dragon Roost to meet Valoo and get a scale. This scale eventually allows the Rito to grow wings and fly. However, since Valoo has grown violent and unpredictable, the Rito have been unable to approach him. If this continues, young Rito will never gain their wings and their way of life will be threatened.
At Quill's suggestion, the Chieftain asks Link to speak with his son, Komali, who has not been able to earn his wings due to Valoo's outbursts. When Link agrees, he tells Link to visit Medli, who then gives Link a letter from the Chieftain to deliver to Komali. The Chieftain hopes that Link's courage will help Komali. Komali, however, does not appreciate the gesture, and claims his father does not understand his fear.
Later, after Link clears Dragon Roost Cavern and calms down Valoo, Komali is able to get his wings and learns to look up to Link. The Rito Chieftain appears back in the Rito Aerie, where Medli was previously at. The Rito Chieftain thanks Link in person for helping his son and his people. He then offers his help, if the Rito can help him with anything at all. He tells Link to keep an eye out for any Postbox, as the Rito will deliver any mail to the nearest postbox.
When Link returns to the Rito Aerie, the Chieftain asks Link if he has been checking the mailboxes. He mentions that the island has been beset by a plague of monsters. However the monsters only appear at nighttime and are gone by the time the sun rises. He tells Link that the Aerie is safe and he encourages Link to stay and rest.
|The Rito Chieftain|
Birthplace: Dragon Roost Island
- ↑ 1.1 1.2 "The Rito Chieftain Birthplace: Dragon Roost Island Head of the Rito tribe The Chieftain is a very gifted leader who is adored by his people. Due to his position, he must be strict with his relations, but as with any father, he worries about his son." — Rito Chieftain Figurine Description, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "A letter from a father addressed to his son. Take it to Komali, the Rito prince. The Rito chieftain has asked you to do so." — Father's Letter Description, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Ah. So, you are [Link], are you? Quill has told me all about you. A troubling tale, indeed... I insist that you let us know if there is anything we can do to help you. We shall do everything in our power to assist you." — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Well? Have you discovered the cause of the great Valoo's anger?" — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "However, in the meantime, we have a problem of our own to deal with... When you arrived on the island, did you notice the raging dragon perched atop the mountain?" — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "As chieftain of the Rito, my first responsibility is to solve this problem. My apologies, but I must ask you to wait for our assistance until this is done. Will you do so?" — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "As you can see, we of the Rito tribe are profoundly connected to the sky. We make our livings on the airways. We do so by the graces of the sky spirit, Valoo. When a Rito reaches adulthood, he or she journeys to the top of Dragon Roost to receive a scale from the great dragon. It is this scale that enables the Rito to grow his or her wings." — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Recently, however, the once-gentle Valoo has grown violent and unpredictable. Sadly, we can no longer approach him. If this continues, the fledglings who are of age will never be able to receive scales from Valoo on Dragon Roost. They will remain wingless, and in time, our very way of life will be threatened." — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "As chieftain of the Rito, my first responsibility is to solve this problem. My apologies, but I must ask you to wait for our assistance until this is done. Will you do so?" — Quill, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Let me be direct. My son, Komali, is of the age to earn his wings... Yet...he is weak, in some ways...and in light of the current situation, he may just give up on ever getting them... What say you? Will you share some of your courage with my son? Will you meet with my son?" — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "I have something I wish for you to give to my son. A young girl named Medli is holding it for me. Would you find her and take it? I am counting on you!" — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Oh, me? I'm an attendant to the great sky spirit, Valoo. My name is Medli. Well, to tell the truth... I'm not an attendant quite yet. I'm actually still studying to be one. Oh, what am I thinking? Here! This is from the chieftain. [Link], he wants you to give this directly to Prince Komali." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "A letter? From my father? Oh, sure, telling me to be brave is easy enough for him... It's not like he's the one who went through that horrible experience... It's not like HE still has to go get a scale from Valoo." — Prince Komali, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Ah, [Link]! I hoped I would get the chance to thank you in person. Medli told me everything. I am extremely grateful for all that you have done. It seems you have helped my son, Komali, find his courage, as well. You have done so much for us! I thank you." — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Tell us if there is anything the Rito can do for you. Anything at all." — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "I believe your journey is far from over, but no matter where you may go, we can still reach you. As you travel from island to island, be sure to check the local postbox. We shall be sure to deliver any letters or packages addressed to you to the postbox nearest to you. Keep your eyes peeled for the moving postboxes, for they have mail within them. I trust that is clear." — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "We will deliver any letters or packages addressed to you to the postbox nearest you. Without fail, I promise you. You may continue your journey knowing this to be true." — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Ah, [Link]! So you have returned safely. May I assume that you have been checking our postboxes? Since you left, our island has been beset by a plague of monsters, which appear after the setting of the sun. Luckily, they have never come during daylight hours, so you may rest safely. As you can see, when the sun goes down, monsters appear outside... Do not worry: the aerie's borders are well protected, and they cannot get in here. Please go and rest yourself." — Rito Chieftain, The Wind Waker.