Mako is one of Tetra's Pirates in The Wind Waker. He appears many times throughout the game, and also makes a short appearance in Phantom Hourglass.
Mako is the brains of the ship and is the smartest member of Tetra's Pirates. He can be seen wearing glasses and is always carrying around a book.
When Link joins the pirates on the journey, Mako refers to Link as being the new swabbie. That distinction was previously given to Niko, but is now given to Link, as he's the newest member of the group, and thus the bottom rung of the pirate ladder. Mako implies that because Link has replaced Niko at the bottom of the totem pole, Link has to obey Niko's orders. He mentions that Niko can be found belowdecks, and that Link should head down and talk to him.
During the Endless Night, Tetra's Pirates head over to Windfall Island to get some Bombs from the Bomb Shop. Mako can be seen talking with Bomb-Master Cannon, as he is being tied up. Mako mentions that they are only tying him up, because of the monoply that Cannon was running, asking pirates to pay an outrageous amount of money for some Bombs. He mentions that it was Gonzo who smooth talked one of the Postman to get the information regarding the bombs. When Mako and Gonzo met the Postman, Mako just pretended like he was actually worried about Link, and this is what caused the Postman to spill the beans.
Mako does seem a bit surprised by Gonzo's uncharacterist wit that he showed. When he compliments Gonzo for smooth-talking the Postman, he mentions that this might have been the first time he actually showed such wit. Mako makes a passing comment that with Gonzo's wits and Miss Tetra's smarts, if they ever got married and had a kid, that kid could be the greatest pirate to ever sail the seas. This comment seems to embarrass Gonzo, who scratches his head and calls Mako an idiot and stupid.
Make seems to sense that Tetra actually cares about the wellbeing of Outset Island, making the safety of the island just as much of a priority as finding the treasure. Although Tetra quickly shuts this idea down. After Tetra sees Link spying on them from the corner of her eye, she agrees to allow them to spend the night and they'll take off first thing in the morning. As the pirates are leaving the Bomb Shop, Mako asks Gonzo what the password is. Gonzo chastizes Mako for forgetting already, but then tells the password, which Link can overhear.
Mako on the Pirate Ship
- ↑ "Hmmm! That Niko didn't make out half-bad. ...With you being the new swabbie and all." — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "New swabbies always get stuck doing the hardest work. It's a real raw deal, but hey. I'll tell you... It sure sounds like Niko is happy to finally not be the bottom rung on the pirate ladder! You bet he is!" — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "...Hey, but don't sweat it. I'm sure you'll do just fine, so long as you don't disobey him." — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "You should know... There's always a test when a new pirate swabbie joins up." — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "I guess you could say it's our way of welcoming new swabbies. Yup. That it is." — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "One way or the other, you'll figure out what it is you gotta do once you get below decks. Then be sure to do it. Yup. Do it." — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Look, don't be mad at us! It's not our fault that we absolutely gotta have bombs to get the treasure we're after! How about you just think of it as payback for the nasty little monopoly you've been running here, yeah? So I bet you're thinking it was foolhardy to ask pirates to pay such an outrageous price, huh? Yup. I bet you are." — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "...You know, Gonzo, I still can't get over that bit of fast-talking you pulled to get that information out of the postman!" — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "I tell you, the minute I set my eyes on that [Link], I just knew he was hiding something back at Outset, yeah? So when I saw that postman, I just pretended like I was all worried about the kid and stuff... And presto! He spills the beans!" — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Good work, Gonzo! Really! Just top notch! It's funny, though... I'm thinking this is maybe the first time you've shown such wit... Such cunning..." — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "...You know, with your cunning and Miss Tetra's smarts... If you two got married and had a kid... ...That kid would be the greatest pirate to ever sail the seas! Yup! The greatest!" — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "You idiot! Keep your mouth shut, yeah? Don't be so stupid!" — Gonzo, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Huh? Not to be disrespectful, but by the sound of things, you're worried more about that island than the treasure, Miss..." — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Say there, brother, what was today's password, again?" — Mako, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Mako! Are you serious? You forgot already? You're so useless. Today's password is [var. Password], yeah? Remember?" — Gonzo, The Wind Waker.