History and Characteristics
The Yook are big, hairy creatures that carry around clubs as weapons. Their thick fur repels the cold, and as a result, they do not mind being in the freezing weather.
Years before the events of Phantom Hourglass, the Yook and the Anouki hated each other. They finally got together for a peace agreement, in which the Anouki received the western half of the island, which was considerably nicer, and the Yook got the Great Ice Field in the east. However, the Yook stole the Azurine from the Anouki and tossed it into the Temple of Ice, which created even more disagreement.
When Link first arrives on the Isle of Frost in search of the Azurine, the Island Chief tells him the story of their history with the Yooks. However, one of the Yook broke the agreement and sneaked into Anouki Estates, and he is currently impersonating one of the Anouki living there.
Link discovers that the Yook is disguised as Aroo. The Yook manages to escape, so the Chief allows Link into the Ice Fields to get revenge. In the Ice Fields, the Yook try to attack Link, but they can be defeated by throwing bombs into their mouths when they are open.
- ↑ "We love the cold. It's one of the few advantages of being this hairy..." — A Yook, Phantom Hourglass.
- ↑ "We Anouki have got one enemy on this island. They're the Yook. There was a lot of bad blood between our ancestors. So 100 years ago, we made an agreement. The Anouki live in the west... And those hairy Yook live over in the east on the Great Ice Field. That was the deal, but now some tricky Yook has snuck over here." — Island Chief, Phantom Hourglass.
- ↑ "So I guess that Azurine pure metal thing was ours once. But then we got in a big spat with the Yook in the east and it got nabbed. That was, like, ages and ages ago. Grandpa used to RANT all about it when we sat around the stew pot." — An Anouki, Phantom Hourglass.
- ↑ "Those Yook tossed that Azurine somewhere in the Temple of Ice. When we made that treaty 100 years ago... We got the better, western half of the island, which was nice. But then the Azurine was stolen from our ancestor!" — Island Chief, Phantom Hourglass.
- ↑ "Yeah? All right. Go to the Anouki Estates up north, [Link]. When you get there, ya gotta figure out which guy is actually the Yook! Yook are liars. Every one of them. This one'll lie to ya, so don't be gullible! Maybe if ya find him, I might tell ya where the Azurine is. Just saying..." — Island Chief, Phantom Hourglass.
- ↑ "...Hey! How'd you figure it out? And I thought I had an amazing costume." — Imposter Yook, Phantom Hourglass.
- ↑ "You're a Yook? You looked so innocent. You looked just like Aroo! [sfx]Don't do anything stupid and try to fight. Turn yourself in!" — Ciela, Phantom Hourglass.
- ↑ "I'm gonna open up the cave to the Great Ice Field to the east. The Yook are over there. Go get yourself all the revenge you can! That Azurine you're looking for should be in the Temple of Ice." — Island Chief, Phantom Hourglass.
- ↑ "DO NOT ERASE! The Yook's weakness is really simple. The Yook breathe deeply. Inhale...mouth... ...a......throw... (Most of the message has been wiped off. It's impossible to read.)" — Sign, Phantom Hourglass.
- ↑ "OoooooOof... My head hurts. It's like my brain was being controlled by some evil force.. Now that I'm back to normal, I feel pretty guilty. This is sort of awkward... but, uh...sorry if I tried to eat you." — A Yook, Phantom Hourglass.
- ↑ "Now that we're back to normal and not having our brains controlled... We feel really bad about pummeling you like that. SORRY!" — A Yook, Phantom Hourglass.