|Spoiler Alert! This article describes a subject that is sensitive to plot development.|
Laruto is a Zora who appears in spirit form in The Wind Waker. She was one of the two sages responsible for keeping the Master Sword able to repel evil. Knowing this, Ganon ensured her demise in order to destroy the Master Sword's power, commanding Jalhalla to kill her. Her spirit resided in the Earth Temple, awaiting the arrival of the Wind Waker.
Laruto appears to Link after he conducts the Earth God's Lyric found on a large stone slab blocking the entrance to the Earth Temple. Laruto tells Link that he must search for her descendant and successor, the one who continues her bloodline and carries the same harp she holds, in order to restore power to the sword. She instructs him to play the song for the new sage when he finds them. Her descendant is Medli, a young Rito girl living on Dragon Roost Island who Link had assisted before. Upon conducting the Earth God's Lyric to her, Medli collapses and experiences a vision of Laruto, who awakens her to her destiny.
After Link defeats Jalhalla, he places the Master Sword in the center of the room and conducts the Earth God's Lyric to Medli. Laruto is seen playing the harp next to her and the Master Sword regains some of its lost power. Laruto is not seen again after this event.
Seeing as how Laruto only appears in cutscenes, there is no way to manually take a pictograph of her. Instead, Laruto's Figurine can be acquired from Lenzo, who sells a pictograph of Laruto (who he refers to as the Earth Sage) as one of his Legendary Pictographs. In the original, he sells the pictograph for 50 Rupees; in The Wind Waker HD, he sells it for 150 Rupees. In both games he sells this pictograph while the moon is in its first quarter phase. Also, this pictograph only becomes available after Link has encountered Laruto in a cutscene.
Birthplace: Zora's Domain
- ↑ "My name is Laruto. I am a Zora sage. For an age, I offered my prayers here in the Earth Temple, praying that the power to repel evil would ever remain within the Master Sword." — Laruto, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "And yet...unfortunately, due to Ganondorf's evil designs, the Master Sword you hold has lost this power. After his defeat at the hands of the Hero of Time, Ganondorf was sealed away...but not for all time. He was revived, and he returned to Hyrule in a red wrath. He attacked this temple and stole my soul, knowing that he had to remove the power contained in that enchanted blade. In order to return the power to repel evil to your sword, you must find another to take my stead in this temple and ask the gods for their assistance." — Laruto, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "You must find the one who carries on my bloodline... The one who holds this sacred instrument... Nothing can stop the flow of time or the passing of generations...but the fate carried within my bloodline endures the ravages of all the years. It survives." — Laruto, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "The song you just conducted is one which will open the eyes of the new sage and awaken within that sage the melody that will carry our prayers to the gods." — Laruto, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "The Sage of Earth
This sage played a harp. Medli, a maiden of the Rito tribe who awakens as a sage, is an attendant to the guardian deity Valoo. Her predecessor as Sage of Earth was Laruto of the Zora tribe." — pg. 127, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
- ↑ "Just now, a sage spoke to me. She spoke so gently... There's something...something that I must do. [Link]... Thanks to you, I've been awakened to the knowledge that I'm a sage of the Earth Temple." — Medli, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Today I have prepared a pictograph of the Earth Sage." — Lenzo, The Wind Waker.