Candy (The Wind Waker)
- This article is about the character in The Wind Waker. For the character in The Minish Cap, see Candy (The Minish Cap).
Candy is a character in The Wind Waker.
He is a sailor who stands near the dock on Windfall Island. Though he appears older, he's actually only seventeen years old..
When Link first arrives at the island, he is looking for a Sail and can speak with Candy. Candy ridicules Link, questioning why he would ever give his sail away to Link when it is necessary for him to survive when at sea.
After Link acquires the sail, Candy remains on the shore and when spoken too, he will comment on the direction of the wind, informing Link of what is in each of the directions. The islands in the eight directions of the wind are as follows, along with Candy's commentary about the locations.
- North: Gale Isle - The island to the north is known for mits might gusts of wind.
- Northeast: Crescent Moon Island - Not a reference to the island, but Candy will talk about star consolations and how Link can look up and see the Big Dipper.
- Northwest: Northern Fairy Island - There are rumors that Fairies live out near the island.[[
- East: Fire Mountain - Not directly east of Windfall, but Candy talks about a rare item hidden on Fire Mountain, the Power Bracelets.
- Southeast: Private Oasis - Not directly southeast, but Candy is referring to Mrs. Marie, who owns the Private Oasis.
- South: Ice Ring Isle - Not directly south, but Candy talks about a rare treasure on Ice Ring Isle, the Iron Boots
- Southwest: Stone Watcher Island or Headstone Island - A large headstone can be found with a secret underneath. Candy could be referring to two islands that are both to the southwest.
- West: Spectacle Island - The Barrel Shoot mini-game, run by Salvatore, can be found on island just to the west.
In the evening, Candy can be found at the Cafe Bar, enjoying a late night drink. Link can talk to him and he'll ramble on about Big Octo's. He talks about giant whirlwinds that form and out comes a massive squid with beady, gnarly, glowing eyes. Candy seems to give Link indirect advice, but suggesting that the way to defeat a Big Octo is to hit him right in the eyes. If Link tells Candy that he's been eaten up by a Big Octo, he won't believe him, as most sailors would be toast if that happen. Not Candy though, as he is as rough and tumble as they come.
While there is no direct connection, two sailors can be found right on the dock at Windfall Island, named Candy and Kane.
Candy in the Cafe Bar
- ↑ "You say you want a sail for a boat? Tell me you're kidding with me! ...Listen up, laddie! Try using your head a little more! What makes you think a bloke like me_a guy who makes his living off the sea_would give away the very sailing gear he needs to survive?! Look elsewhere, laddie!" — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Y'know, laddie, if I had to give myself a title, it'd be a Know-It-All Sailor. I'm wise. Learned. Experienced. G'head, ask me anything you want to know about the sea. I know it sounds kind of odd for me to say this about myself, but you should know that my mood changes with the wind. I'm a whirlwind of emotion, laddie! Aye! ...But don't let that stop you from asking me anything you want to know! Ask away!" — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Right now the wind is blowing to the north. Say, that reminds me... There's an island to the north that blasts out mighty gusts of wind. Aye, a mysterious place..." — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "So the wind is blowing to the northeast? A nor'easter, is it, laddie? Y'know, when you're out at sea at night, and you take a look at the sky, the stars are just amazing. In fact, when the weather is fair, you can see the Big Dipper up there. I don't know why that just sprung to mind, to tell you the truth. You can see the Big Dipper anywhere, not just northeast of here." — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "So the wind is blowing to the northwest now, is it? Interesting, laddie! Aye, now that I think about it... There's a strangely magical island northwest of here. It's the kind of place that feels like it came straight out of a fairy tale. Why, I've even got mates who claim to have seen fairies on that island...but who knows whether they're telling the truth or not. The boys are prone to...boasting a wee bit." — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "So, the wind blows east, does it, laddie? Have you seen the mountain far to the east of this island? The volcanic isle that spews molten lava?! Oh, not a nice place! Legend tells of a powerful treasure that lies waiting for one who can brave the very bowels of the earth and lay claim to it! Aye, that tale's famous amongst us sailors! That treasure... If the rumors are true, it can turn you into a titan! Aye! It bestows so much strength upon you, you could lift stones the size of small islands, laddie!" — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "So the wind blows to the southeast, does she? Southeast... Now that I think about it, I recall seeing the strangest of houses on a lonely little isle to the south. It seemed downright out of place to me, laddie... I don't know what kind of fool goes building a cabana in these treacherous seas... But whoever did it has got some nerve, I tell you! Oh, aye!" — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Not many know of it, but there's an island of ice far to the south. Aye, it's said to be wrapped in a biting blizzard so nasty, it can freeze visitors solid in their tracks! But there's said to be a great treasure hidden there, amongst the savage snows. Or so the sailors tell..." — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Why, I've heard just getting your hands on that treasure makes you sturdy enough to stand in the face of the fiercest winds!" — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Y'know, laddie, I've seen some odd things, but nothing so odd as this one island. It was far, far to the south of this town, and it was home to this humongous head! I've got to say, laddie, it looked to me like that head was on watch...like there was something that it was guarding... Maybe something below it... But I never confirmed my suspicions. That stone head was so heavy, I almost threw my back out trying to move it! Aye, you'd need unnatural strength to lift that thing!" — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "The wind is blowing west today, laddie! Ah, west... There's a mighty interesting island due west of here. Aye, so there is. There's a gigantic cannon on it, and it's manned by a suspicious-looking bloke. Rumor has it, he's got something mighty peculiar that he's showing off there. I sure wouldn't mind taking a gander at whatever it is myself, laddie!" — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Squid. ...You ever been all ate up by one o' them squid out on the Great Sea? Oh yeah Nope" — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "This one time, our ship got caught in this giant whirlpool, you get me? And what's there waitin' for us in the middle of it? ...The giantest squid you ever seen!" — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "...Now that I'm thinkin' on it, those were the squirreliest eyes I ever seen! If I ever come across that beastie again, I'll whale him in the eyes. THAT'S what I'll do!" — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Don't you go lyin', now! Why, stick any other sailor out there in my position and he'd be belly-up. He'd have been finished. FINISHED, I'm tellin' you! It's a darn good thing I'm about as rough-and-tumble a sailor as you'll ever meet! Oh, you better believe it!" — Candy, The Wind Waker.
- ↑ "Now let's say_just for a moment_that pirates actually did come ashore... What would they want with a peaceful village like this?! Tell me that, laddie!" — Candy, The Wind Waker.