Dragon Roost Cavern
The Dragon Roost Cavern is the first major Dungeon in The Wind Waker. It is located inside the large mountain on Dragon Roost Island.
The Sky Spirit, Valoo, resides atop the large mountain on Dragon Roost Island. Link journeys inside of Dragon Roost Cavern in hopes to scaling the peak of the mountain and calming down Valoo.
When Link arrives inside the cavern, he'll find that it is infested with many Moblins, Bokoblins and other monsters. Link initially traverses the mountain to follow Medli, a member of the Rito tribe. Medlie was captured by Bokoblins and is being held prisoner outdoors, just below where Valoo is found. She is being guarded by a pair of Green Bokoblin, as well as an enemy Moblin that is dropped in. After defeating the enemies and rescuing Medli, Link receives the Grappling Hook.
Dragon Roost Cavern is filled with lava and fire-based enemies and obstacles. Link will encounter Fire Keese flying around, as well as enemy Magtails, which crawl around in the lava. Throughout the dungeon, there are numerous Fire Geysers, that shoot out lava from walls or from down below. Link will have to avoid these geysers, but at times, uses them to his advantage by dropping Water on top of them. When water is dropped on the lava, it solidifies, creating platforms that allow Link to navigate across.
After clearing the dungeon, Link returns to the base of the mountain after calming Valoo to receive Din's Pearl from Komali, who apologizes to Link.
- Main article: Gohma (The Wind Waker)
Gohma serves as the boss of Dragon Roost Cavern. Gohma can be found in the chamber just below where Valoo is located and it revealed that Gohma is the reason why Valoo is in distress. Gohma has been pulling on Valoo's tail from inside, causing Valoo to become enraged, which has caused destruction around Dragon Roost Island and has prevented the young Rito from scaling the mountain to acquire a Scale.
In the first phase of the battle, Link can use the Grappling Hook on Valoo's tail, causing a the large boulder attached to it to drop, landing on top of Gohma and destroying some of its armor. After repeating this process three times, Gohma's armor will be completely destroyed. At this point, Link can then use the Grappling Hook on the eye of Gohma to pull him closer. After numerous strikes with the Hero's Sword, Gohma will be defeated, leaving behind a Heart Container.
- Dragon Tingle Statue - Available initially in the Nintendo GameCube version of the game, Link is able to obtain one of the Tingle Statues. In the Nintendo Wii U version, Link will need to return to the dungeon, after acquiring Bombs. The statue can be found along the northern corridor of the First Floor, along the path that leads to the Boss Key. When at the north end of the main central chamber of the dungeon, Link can use the Grappling Hook to grab the hook, opening the northern door. In this room, Link will see a seemingly useless ledge right in front of him. Link can use the Tingle Tuner to play a Tingle Bomb here, or a standard Bomb in 'HD' version of the game. This will cause a Treasure Chest to appear containing the Dragon Tingle Statue.
- Treasure Chart 39 - Located on the 2nd Floor of the Dungeon, just moments before Link acquires the Grappling Hook. In the natural progress of the dungeon, Link will reach a room that has a Blue Bokoblin, along with two other Bokoblin who are hiding within pots on the side of room. Link will need to defeat these Bokoblin to advance in the dungeon. This room has two torches, with one of them unlit. Link can light the second torch to get the Treasure Chart.
- Treasure Chart 11 - Found near the entrance of the dungeon. Link can travel through the first door to make it to the main chamber of the dungeon. From there, he can take the door on the left, and then turn to the right. Here there is a gap that Link can swing across, using the Grappling Hook. After breaking the wooden planks, he'll reach the treasure chest with the Treasure Chart.
Prima Games Map of 1F
Prima Games Map of 2F
Prima Games Map of 3F
Prima Games Map of 4F
- ↑ "What? Are you trying to say that YOU can calm Valoo down? Psssssh! That's just a big, fat lie! It's easy to SAY you can do anything! Bragging doesn't cost a thing! I'll tell you what: If you can find me someone who can get past all the obstacles on Dragon Roost to get to Valoo... THEN I'll listen to anything you say!" — Prince Komali, The Wind Waker.