"This small seed was given to you by a Korok. It has a distinct smell. If you gather a bunch of them, you never know what may happen..."
It is not necessary for Link to contact Hestu in order to start collecting seeds, but it's necessary to contact him in order to expand the inventory, completing The Priceless Maracas challenge to do so.
Each Korok will gift Link one seed, which can be exchanged with Hestu to increase his inventory capacity. There are 900 Korok Seeds in total, all hidden across the land. They often require unique puzzles to be solved in order to find the Korok bearing them, such as:
- Solving cube puzzles through Magnesis;
- Rolling a boulder into a hole;
- Lifting rocks from the ground or at the tops of thick trees;
- Throwing rocks into a circle of rocks in water bodies;
- Completing a circle of rocks on the ground;
- Diving/falling into a circle of lily pads in water bodies;
- Shooting moving target balloons after triggering a wind chime;
- Shooting jumping acorns after triggering a wind chime;
- Shooting stationary target balloons under bridges and other tall places;
- Shooting acorns inside hollow tree trunks and logs, and holes on trees;
- Racing to reach a target after triggering a leaf pedestal;
- Placing metal boulders into hollow trunks;
- Climbing to the top of trees, poles, atop houses and buildings, and even the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab;
- Following a trail of sprouting flowers;
- Following an increasing sequence of flowers;
- Making the number of apples on a tree match the other two trees;
- Offering fruit to statues.
Initially, Hestu can be found on the road leading to Kakariko Village. However, after Link upgrades two slots in his inventory, Hestu will note that the time is late and declines to do any more, stating that he needs to get back to Korok Forest.
However, on his way back to Korok Forest, he gets lost and will appear at Riverside Stable, Wetland Stable, and Woodland Stable. Link will need to find Hestu and upgrade five more slots, after which Hestu will finally make his way back to Korok Forest.
Generally, each slot upgrade requires more seeds than the previous. Below is a chart which lists the cost to upgrade each slot all the way. In total, 441 seeds are required to maximize all of the stashes. Completing the stashes will give Link a final total of 20 weapons slots, 13 bow slots and 20 shield slots.
|Slot Nº||Weapon Stash||Bow Stash||Shield Stash|
Beyond the weapon slots provided by the Korok seeds, Link can keep three of each weapon once Link fully upgrades the gear displays in his house at Hateno Village during the Hylian Homeowner quest. However, these weapons are not readily available like the weapon slots in Link's inventory, as Link has to travel to Hateno to retrieve them.