First, collect 30 bundles of Wood. Wood can be gathered by cutting down trees. The easiest way to gather Wood in bulk is to find a heavily forested area and use Remote Bomb to blow up trees with bombs. One bomb will knock them down, another turns them into wood. Trees may also be cut down with a Woodcutter's Axe or a Double Axe, both of which are often found near stables. There are various areas in the world with plenty of trees. One good farming location is Rito Stable.
Once giving the Wood to Bolson, the next step is 3,000 rupees. 3,000 rupees may seem like a lot but it will not take much adventuring to get it, as long as you keep an eye out for any ore nodes and blow them up, and then sell what drops from them. This is probably the easiest and laziest way to make money without going out of your way, and can be done while you are doing other things, like collecting Korok Seeds, other side quests, or even the Main Quest. There are of course a ton of other ways to get money as well.
After you turn in the 3,000 rupees, you will be prompted to talk to Hudson, which will start the From the Ground Up side quest. However, this quest is not over yet. To continue this quest, talk to Bolson again.
This now unlocks the ability to upgrade the home. There are 14 possible upgrades, at a cost of 100 rupees each, and they can be done in any order.
- Weapon, bow and shield displays: Put your currently equipped weapon on display. This gets it out of your inventory to free up space without permanently throwing it away, and can be retrieved later.
- Bed: While you can pass time at any fire, passing time in your bed will also heal you, and is free, unlike an Inn.
- Other upgrades are available too, but are purely for cosmetics.
Full List of Upgrades Available
- Gear Displays: Weapon x2, Bow x3, Shield x3 (Total of 8)
- Installations: Bed, Lighting, Door (Total of 3)
- Exterior: Sign with Link's Name, Plant Flowers, Plant Trees (Total of 3)
When all upgrades (totalling 1,400 rupees) have been made, the quest will finally be completed.