Link first comes across the spring in the prologue. After Link saves Malo, he returns to Ordon Village and is tasked with finishing herding the Ordon Goats. Ilia notices a gash on Epona and she claims that Link has been working Epona too hard. Ilia is mad at Link and takes Epona to the Spring to heal her wounds. Link notices that the gate to the Spring is now closed; however, Colin tells Link about a secret passage. This hidden passage way is located to the side off the Spring in a small crawl space. Once Link enters the Spring, a small cutscene takes place. Ilia forgives Link, as Colin told her what happened with Talo. However, shortly after they hear a noise, it is at this moment King Bulblin and his army of Bulblins raid through the Spring and attack Link, Ilia and Colin. Link wakes up from being left unconscious and notices that Colin, Ilia and Epona have been taken. Link then comes upon a Wall of Twilight. A Shadow Beast then drags the young hero into the Twilight Realm.
Once Link has escaped his imprisonment in Hyrule Castle with the help of Midna, he returns to Ordona Province. After Link has collected the Ordon Shield and Sword from Ordon Village, he is lured back to the spring by the voice of Ordona. This is the first time Link in Wolf form faces a Shadow Beast in combat. After Link has defeated the Beast, Ordona reveals his true form. Ordona tells Link about the Shadow Beasts and that he must return the light to the other three provinces across Hyrule. After this section of the game, there is no need to come to this area to advance the plot.
This is also the location where Link learns one of the seven Hidden Skills. After using the Howling Stone on the trail up to Death Mountain, a Golden Wolf appears in Ordon Spring. This is where Link learns the Shield Attack from the Hero's Shade.
If the first 10 floors of the Cave of Ordeals is completed, Fairies appear in Ordon Spring; an easy way to restore health is if the Fairies are stored in Bottles. If Link stands in the water, his health is slowly replenished.
- At Ordon Spring, Link can crawl through a small passage way, which leads him to the Ordon Woods. He is able to obtain a Green Rupee here.
- After passing 10 floors in the Cave of Ordeals, Fairies appear in Ordon Spring.
- The Ordon Spring theme is a remix of the Great Fairy Fountain theme from Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Hey! [Link]! You there? Hey, you mind helpin' me herd the goats?" — Fado, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "Wait... What's this? What's happened? She's injured, isn't she? [Link]! How could you! You were pushing [Epona] too hard again! I bet you hurt her leg jumping fences, didn't you!" — Ilia, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "It'll be all right, [Epona]. I'll take you to the forest spring right now. Once we soothe you in the spirit's spring, you'll feel better in no time!" — Ilia, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "You know how to get in here, right? Go around through the tunnel in the woods while you can. Hurry up, [Link]! I'll talk to her in the meantime..." — Colin, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "I had no idea... I hadn't heard the details about Talo's capture... But, Colin... So you still prefer your master over me, huh, [Epona]? Don't worry about your horse, [Link]. Fortunately, it looks like the injury isn't too serious. You two can go on together." — Ilia, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "Beware... A shadow being... It approaches..." — Ordona, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "O brave youth... I am one of four light spirits that protect Hyrule at the behest of the gods. I am Ordona." — Ordona, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "The black beast you slayed was a shadow being. It had come to seize the power of light I wield. My brethren in Hyrule have already had their light stolen by these fell beasts." — Ordona, Twilight Princess.
- ↑ "The entire kingdom has been reduced to a netherworld ruled by the cursed powers of darkness. The blight will not stop with Hyrule. Before long, the entire world of light will fall into the hands of the king who rules the twilight. To save this land from the king of twilight, the lost light must be recovered. The three light spirits who have lost their light must be revived. There is but one who can revive them and redeem this land... You." — Ordona, Twilight Princess.