"The center piece of the carnival is the clock tower, and on the eve of all festivals the doors to its roof are opened. From atop the tower roof, a ceremony to call the gods is held, and an ancient song is sung."
The Clock Tower is a featured location in Majora's Mask. It is built in the very center of Clock Town. This place is Link's first impression of Termina. At night, there is a beam of light that is shot out of the Clock Tower, making it not only a clock for the whole town, but also a form of a lighthouse. The Clock Tower is also the spot from where the Four Giants parted to the four regions of Termina.
During the beginning of the game, Link meets the Happy Mask Salesman inside the tower, who agrees to turn him from back from a Deku Scrub to a Hylian, but only if he retrieves Majora's Mask. The Happy Mask Salesman claims to Link that he is very busy and therefore must leave within three days, conveniently this also the time when the Moon is due to fall. Link must stop the moon from falling, all within 72 hours. If Link fails to save Termina within the 72 hour period the moon finally crashes down on the land, destroying everything below it.
Link must wait until the clock strikes midnight on the Final Day to traverse up to the top of the Tower. It is here where he meets the Skull Kid wearing the powerful Majora's Mask. Deku Link must fire bubbles at the Skull Kid to make him drop the Ocarina of Time, Link can then play the Song of Time, as Princess Zelda's request, to reset time and return back to the First Day. Link once again meets the Happy Mask Salesman who sees that Link now has the Ocarina and thus teaches him the Song of Healing. This magical song has the ability to free Link from his Deku form and houses it within the Deku Mask. However, due to Link not returning Majora's Mask, as was the Salesman's request, he becomes angry at the young hero and vows he returns the ancient Mask, claiming it houses an incredibly dark power.
The Clock Tower serves as somewhat of a 'starting point' in the game. When Link plays the Song of Time and returns to the dawn of the First Day, he exits from the bottom of the tower. The Clock Tower is also where the Happy Mask Salesman awaits for Link's return with his precious item, the Majora's Mask.
Carnival of Time
- Main article: Carnival of Time
The Clock Tower is where the Carnival of Time is held only on an annual basis in Termina. This Carnival is said to pay homage to the Four Giants who once protected the land, in celebration, it is become accustom to wear masks on the day of the carnival. On the eve of the fourth day, the countdown starts ticking down to midnight, which is when the Carnival begins. When the clock strikes midnight the tower falls sideways and fireworks burst out from within the Tower.
- ↑ "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you? I own the Happy Mask Shop. I travel far and wide in search of masks..." — Happy Mask Salesman, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "...For I know of a way to return you to your former self. If you can get back the precious item that was stolen from you, I will return you to normal. In exchange... All I ask is that you also get back my precious mask that the imp stole from me." — Happy Mask Salesman, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "The one thing is... I'm a very busy fellow... And I must leave this place in three days. How grateful I would be if you could bring it back to me before my time here is up..." — Happy Mask Salesman, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "If something should happen to you, remember this song... The Goddess of Time is protecting you. If you play the Song of Time, she will aid you..." — Princess Zelda, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "Waahhhhh! This isn't good! Let's go back! Let's go back! Hurry! The Song of Time! The Song of Time!!!" — Tatl, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "Then listen to me. Please play this song that I am about to perform, and remember it well..." — Happy Mask Salesman, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "This is a melody that heals evil magic and troubled spirits, turning them into masks. Ah, yes. I give you this mask in commemoration of this day. Fear not, for the magic has been sealed inside the mask." — Happy Mask Salesman, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "My mask... You did... The mask that was stolen from me... It is called Majora's Mask. What have you done to me!!!" — Happy Mask Salesman, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "It is an accursed item from legend that is said to have been used by an ancient tribe in its hexing rituals. It is said that an evil and wicked power is bestowed upon the one who wears that mask." — Happy Mask Salesman, Majora's Mask.
- ↑ "The carnival is almost here, so it's good for you to learn its meaning. It's a little long, but I'll read it with some enthusiasm. Ahem... "The Carnival of Time." Each year, the season of harmony begins when the sun and moon are in alignment. Paying homage to the way that both nature and time are tirelessly in the process of progressing... the Carnival of Time is when the peoples of the four worlds celebrate that harmony and request fruitfulness for the year. For ages, people have worn masks resembling the giants who are the gods of the four worlds." — Anju's Grandmother, Majora's Mask.