Ocarina of Time
Deku Sticks are long, wooden poles. While the Kokiri Shopkeeper claims they are "gathered from the Great Deku Tree", more often they come from Deku Babas or Big Deku Babas, who stand upright when stunned and can be cut while this lasts to turn them into Deku Sticks. Withered Deku Babas are always upright and are thus more easily turned into sticks.
Adult Link cannot use Deku Sticks, only Young Link. They are mostly used for lighting torches and burning spiderwebs, as they catch fire when put up against a lit torch. They burn out and disappear after a short time, so Link must light whatever he needs before that happens. They can be saved by putting them away before they burn out. The Deku Stick's second use is the same as the swords; they can kill enemies. They are more powerful than the Kokiri Sword, but unlike that item, they break. Usually after one hit, or if hit against a wall they will break instantly. They may be found in shops, pots, or after killing a Deku Baba.
Link can carry 10 Deku Sticks at the beginning of the game. He can increase this in two ways, both of which allow him to carry ten more sticks, to a potential maximum of 30:
- In the Lost Woods, in the area below the bridge connecting Kokiri Forest to Hyrule Field, there is a Business Scrub. Bounce back the nuts they launch and, once stunned, they will sell Link a Deku Nut capacity upgrade for 40 Rupees.
- Deep in the Lost Woods is the Forest Stage. If Link goes inside wearing the Skull Mask, the young Deku Scrubs will react. Then go and speak to the Forest Stage Leader, who will tell Link that all of the Deku Scrubs agree that he looks like their totem, so they will reward him with a Deku Stick upgrade.
Deku Sticks work in Majora's Mask largely as they did in Ocarina of Time. Each standard Secret Grotto contains two Withered Deku Babas, which can be easily converted into Deku Sticks. Link can only ever carry 10 Deku Sticks - there are no capacity upgrades.
- ↑ " Deku Stick (1 piece) 10 Rupees A long branch gathered from the Great Deku Tree. You can use it as a weapon, but it will break." — Kokiri Shop, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "Deku Baba Hit it when it lunges at you, and it will stand upright. Cut it quickly to get a Deku Stick! Big Deku Baba Hit it when it lunges at you, and it will stand upright. Cut it quickly to get a Deku Stick!", Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "You got a Deku Stick! On the Select Item Subscreen, you can set it to (<), (v) or (>). Set it to (C) and swing it with (C)! When you want to put it away, stand still and press (A). You can carry up to 10 sticks, but don't waste them." — In-Game Description, Ocarina of Time.
- ↑ "A long stick taken from the Deku Tree. It can be swung, or lit and used as a torch." — Item Screen Description, Ocarina of Time 3D
- ↑ "Isn't that a Deku Baba? But it looks a little withered... Just cut it. You should at least get a Deku Stick out of it." — Tatl, Majora's Mask.