|Spoiler Alert! This article describes a subject that is sensitive to plot development.|
Link first meets Oren when he visits Zora's Domain on his quest to find the Pendants of Virtue. Upon entering a room behind a waterfall, he finds a bloated, large Queen Oren and the Zora Underlings frantic over her state. Link quickly learns that the Shady Guy he bumped into earlier has stolen her Smooth Gem. With her gem gone, Oren is incapable of containing her power and begins increasing in size. The Zora Underlings ask Link to recover the queen's Smooth Gem. Journeying to Kakariko Village, Link finds out that the Shady Guy has sold the Smooth Gem to the Street Merchant. Link is able to purchase the gem off of him for 200 Rupees. When Link returns to Zora's Domain, the Zora Underlings beg Link to throw the gem in the water. Once Link does so, the queen immediately returns to normal. Oren, back in her true form, thanks Link. She introduces herself as the Queen of the Zoras and explains that she relies on that Smooth Gem, so she is grateful to have it back. As a reward, Oren gives Link the Zora's Flippers. She warns him that although they allow him to swim, some of the Zoras may still attack, as they consider the waters their domain. She also apologizes for the previous uproar.
After Link acquires the Master Sword, he hears from the Zora Underlings that Oren has gone out for a swim and not returned. It is revealed that Oren is actually one of the Seven Sages and Yuga has turned her into a painting in order to resurrect Ganon. Link saves Oren from Arrghus in the depths of Swamp Palace. Oren thanks Link and apologizes that she does not have a reward for him. If freed early on, she explains to Link that he must rescue all the Sages from the dungeons of Lorule so that they can aid him in his quest. Although she does not mind being in Link's debt as long as the evil is defeated, she wants to return home soon so that the Zoras can stop worrying about her. Back at her domain, the Zora Underlings are relieved to hear that she is all right, although they are concerned that they never realized she was kidnapped.
However, if Oren is saved after all the other Sages have been rescued, she tells Link that his courage inspires them and, whether rescued last or early on, she helps her fellow Sages summon the Triforce of Courage as a reward. As he climbs up the steps to reach it, she informs him that he is one of the best of his people and he must complete the final stages of his quest so that she can go home.
- ↑ "The queen is in a sea of trouble! We've got to do something!" — Zora Underling, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "But what? That guy doesn't even KNOW all the trouble he caused!" — Zora Underling, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "It's getting worse by the second!" — Zora Underling, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "I can't believe that guy came in and stole the smooth gem right out from under our gills!" — Zora Underling, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "That finless jerk probably thought it was just some sparkly thing! But the queen needs it to contain her power! Without that smooth gem, our queen will keep—! She'll keep bloating up!" — Zora Underling, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "You must have seen that guy run out with the queen's smooth gem, right? We've GOT to get it back! Stranger, if you see a big, gleaming, golden gemstone, being it back here. I'm sure you'd get a nice reward!" — Zora Underling, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Zora Underling", Please, stranger! Can you get the queen's smooth gem back? We've got to get it back in her pool before all is lost!
- ↑ "I-I'm sorry. I already sold it. To that guy over there. I already spent all the money I got from selling that darn stone." — Shady Guy, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Ah, yes! A gemstone of remarkable quality. Smooth as silk! And for you? Only 200 Rupees! Interested, my friend?" — Street Merchant, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Wait, stranger! Do you have the queen's smooth gem?!" — Zora Underling, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Throw it in the pool—hurry!" — Zora Underling, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Th-the queen! The bloating has stopped!" — Zora Underling, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Are you the one who helped me? Thanks to you, I'm free of my pool. That was all rather undignified." — Oren, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Oren, Queen of the Zoras. I don't know how I came to rely on that troublesome smooth gem. But I do need it, so I thank you deeply." — Oren, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "I am filled with gratitude. Please take these, won't you?" — Oren, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "They will allow you to swim and dive, so you may travel the rivers and roam the lakes. But my Zoras do consider that their territory, and while I tell them to get along with people... I have to admit, they just don't listen. So be careful out there." — Oren, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "I'm sorry you had to see us in such an uproar." — Oren, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "The queen’s been gone a long time. She should have come back from her swim by now. They’re late. Too late. Just follow the river down to the lake. Swim around for a bit, see what’s what, and then come back. I shudder to think that something awful’s happened to the queen..." — Zora Underling, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Once more you have come to my rescue, Link. How I wish I could again reward you with a gift—something that would calm the troubled waters of your journey. I can offer you only my deepest gratitude...and yet another task, I'm afraid." — Oren, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "You must rescue every one of the Seven Sages. Only together can we help you defeat this great evil." — Oren, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "I will be glad to be eternally in your debt, if only we all survive this flood of evil. Please now, rescue every one of the Seven Sages, my young hero! I hope that this evil will be defeated so I can return to my people. They must be frantic without their queen." — Oren, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Y-y-you met with our queen? But she was kidnapped? And you saw her after all that? I simply thought she was late! Uh, I guess I should worry about her more!" — Zora Underling, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Thank you, my young hero. You have saved all seven of the Sages. You have displayed great heroism in crossing the worlds to rescue us. So this is your just reward. The Triforce of Courage is yours. It will be essential in your battle with Yuga, though always remember, your courage is what inspires us all..." — Oren, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "You have my undying gratitude, young hero. You are truly among the very best of your people. Now there is more for you to do, if I am to get back home to MY people. The Zoras are surely worried." — Oren, A Link Between Worlds