Gramps can be found in the west of Kakariko Village. When Link first speaks to him, he promises that he can make passing people on the street more fun. He offers to tell Link about StreetPass battles, and if Link accepts, he explains how other players' characters arrive via StreetPass as Shadow Links and can be fought at no cost to Link. After this, Link can set up his Shadow Link and select what items it uses. Once it is all set up, Gramps informs Link that he places a sign in the field in from of him whenever a Shadow Link appears. Any time he speaks to Gramps, he has the option to view special StreetPass Challenges or listen to a second explanation of the rules.
When Link tags his first Shadow Link on StreetPass, Gramps commemorates the occasion by planting the StreetPass Tree near Link's House. If Link speaks to him again after this, he asks if Link has visited the tree yet, and he can tell if Link is lying if he claims he has even though he has not. Every time Link tags a Shadow Link, Gramps lets him know that the sign is there to provide him with more information.
Once Link completes all fifty of Gramps's StreetPass Challenges, he congratulates Link, but he claims that he is only the second person to do so. If Link asks about the first, he merely asks if Link would like to fight a Shadow Link. When Link says yes, he announces that he's going to give it everything he has, revealing that he was the first person to complete all of the challenges. Gramps has every upgrade available in the game and uses two upgraded weapons at random.
If Link successfully defeats Gramps, he receives 5 Rupees as a reward. Gramps says he is happy to know that there are still heroes like Link in the world. If Link wants to know why the reward for defeating him is so small, he informs the hero that all the Rupee rewards for defeating the Shadow Links came from his own pocket.  He began offering a reward in order to entice people stronger than himself to battle the more difficult Shadow Links. However, he could not decide what the prize for defeating himself would be, so he made it a small amount. After this, he asks if Link would like to battle again. Even if Link declines, he can fight Gramps again at any time he wants by viewing his completed challenges.
- ↑ "He's 80 years old, or so he says." — Rumor Guy, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Ever stop to think how many times we just pass right on by people on the street? You know, all our life? Well, I know a secret that will make passing by people a lot more fun. Because I am in the business of introducing people such as yourself to StreetPass! Hm… It looks like you don't have a sword of your own yet. You need a sword for StreetPass. Sorry. I don't make the rules. Come back once you get your own sword." — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Want me to tell you all about StreetPass battles?" — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "You can battle players you've tagged with StreetPass! Their characters become Shadow Link characters in this world. Once they appear, you can then battle them. The only items you can use are those you have selected before you begin battle with the Shadow Link. Don't worry–your hearts will be fully restored before and after battle. And no matter whether you win or lose the fight, you'll leave with the items you battled with. So in battling Shadow Links, you have nothing to lose…and EVERYTHING to gain. Select Setup to create your own Shadow Link character that will be sent out to others in StreetPass. Oh–there's one more thing to know. The name you chose will be shown to others via StreetPass. Keep that in mind if you choose to send your Shadow Link to others. Any other StreetPass tasks I can help you with?" — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "And with that, your StreetPass is all set up. When you tag someone via StreetPass, I'll put a sign up here in this field. Come take a look from time to time." — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Today is a day for the history books. Why? Because you are making your StreetPass debut! I'd like to commemorate this special occasion with a gift. That gift is…an apple tree! I'll plant it in the garden near your house. Go take a look at it when you get a chance." — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Looks like there's a sign for a new Shadow Link you tagged via StreetPass. It's blinking green. It has information about the Shadow Links you tagged, so you should look at it sometime." — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Well done. It looks like you've finally completed all the challenges. You're only the second person who's ever done that. Want to know who the first person to do it was?" — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "I see... Not a clue, huh? Well then. Want to try your hand at battling a Shadow Link?" — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "I see... Then I'm going to give this everything I've got!" — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "I lost... I'm glad to know there are still heroes as strong as you in this world." — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "By the way, do you want to know why the reward for defeating me is so...modest? Well, you see...the Rupee award you receive for defeating a Shadow Link comes out of my own pocket." — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Yep. I started offering a prize because I wanted to meet someone stronger than myself. I thought if a powerful Shadow Link yielded a hefty reward, worthy challengers would appear." — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "But I had a hard time deciding how many Rupees to give to fighters who defeated me... Ha! I'm not so bold as to put a high price on my head. That's why the reward is so meager." — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "Now, putting that aside... Would you like to battle again?" — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "If you ever feel like fighting, come talk to me again." — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "No ordinary fellow could've completed all of those challenges. Do you want to try battling me again?" — Gramps, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "So, Gramps in Kakariko Village? Near the town square? He's 80 years old, or so he says. I don't think he's just some ordinary old man who's just hangin' around... So this one time, I saw him at the crack of dawn. You'll never guess what he was doing!" — Rumor Guy, A Link Between Worlds
- ↑ "He was doing handstands! Not any ordinary handstands. One-fingered handstands!" — Rumor Guy, A Link Between Worlds