Era of Light and Dark
The Era of Light and Dark refers to the events that start with Link's journey to defeat Ganon in A Link to the Past, then his mysterious journeys to the lands of Holodrum in Oracle of Seasons and Labrynna in Oracle of Ages. This era also covers Link's adventure into the dream world of Koholint Island, which takes place in Link's Awakening. The name mainly refers to the events within A Link to the Past, as Link journeys through the Dark World and the Light World.
The Dark World
After the tragic events of the Imprisoning War, the Kingdom of Hyrule knew peace once again. However, a powerful wizard named Agahnim appears and he intends to gain entry to the previously sealed Sacred Realm, now known as the Dark World. Agahnim takes control of Hyrule Castle and steals the power from the King. The dark wizard also manipulates the minds of the Soldiers and orders them to kidnap the Seven Maidens. The Maidens were used as a sacrifice of sorts and were sent to the Dark World. Realizing what Agahnim was up to, Princess Zelda, who was locked up in Hyrule Castle, sent out a message to Link and his uncle. After finding his uncle dead, Link took it upon himself to save the Princess himself.
After leaving Zelda within the safe confines of the Sanctuary, Link sets off to visit Sahasrahla, a Sage. He soon tasked with obtaining the legendary blade known as the Master Sword. However, Link didn't have the adequate power in order to wield the famed sword. The power he needed was in the form of Pendants of Virtue. After obtaining all three pendants, Link heads to the Lost Woods, where he draws the Master Sword from the pedestal. He soon encountes Agahnim in Hyrule Castle, the powerful wizard however, manages to open up the Dark World. Due to the appearance of the Dark World, Link is transformed into a bunny of sorts, as it reflected his true heart. After saving the Maidens, who were trapped in the palaces across the Dark World, Link saves Princess Zelda and gains access to Ganon's Tower. Inside he defeats Agahnim, who turns out to be Ganon's alter ego. The young hero is then transported to the Pyramid of Power, where he battles the Demon King Ganon himself. Following his defeat, Link uses the power of the Triforce to perish the evil within the Dark World, restoring the world to its peaceful state.
After the defeat of the Demon King Ganon, Twinrova, Ganon's surrogate mothers, plan a scheme to revive the Evil King. In order to revive him the twin sorceresses needed three flames: the Flames of Sorrow, Destruction and Despair. To obtain the flames, Twinrova sent Onox to the land of Holodrum and Veran to Labrynna. The young hero, Link, who had previously saved Hyrule, is guided to the location of the Triforce in Hyrule Castle. However, upon arrival he is transported to the foreign land of Holodrum.
The Adventure in Holodrum
- Main article: Oracle of Seasons
Soon after Link is transported, he finds himself in the mysterious land of Holodrum. The young hero meets the Oracle of Seasons Din. Moments after their brief encounter, darkness clouds the land and the general of darkness Onox appears and kidnaps Din. In a consequence to this, the land of Holodrum turns into a land of the four seasons. Link soon obtains the Rod of Seasons, with the power of the rod, Link is able to manipulate the seasons and search for the Essences of Nature. Link retrieves the eight essences from their respective dungeons. After blessing the Maku Tree with the final Essence, the magical tree manages to produce a Huge Maku Seed. With the seed, Link infiltrates Onox's Castle and confronts the general. After defeating him, Link saves Din and the seasons return to normal.
Adventure in Labrynna
- Main article: Oracle of Ages
After the events in Holodrum, Link was once again transported. This time to the land of Labrynna. Link soon saves Impa, and proceeds to meet Nayru. However, the evil sorcerer Veran possesses Impa and proceeds to take control of the Nayru. Veran uses Nayru's powers to travel back in time so that she could alter the events in the present. Link obtains the Harp of Ages, which allows him to travel through time. Link utilzes this powerful Harp to obtain the eight Essences of Time. Link now has the adequate power to access the Black Tower. Within the grounds of the tower, he encounters Veran. Link defeats the evil sorceress and in the process, saves Nayru.
Demon King's Revival
Upon the defeat of both Onox and Veran, the Flame of Destruction and the Flame of Sorrow were lit. Now only one flame remained, in which the completion of, would revive Ganon. Twinrova kidnaps Princess Zelda and prepares her for a sacrifice of sorts to complete the revival of the Demon King. The young hero, Link, soon appears in an attempt to stop the twin sorceresses. Equipped with the power of Nayru, the Oracle of Ages, and Din, the Oracle of Seasons, he defeats both Koume and Kotake. After their defeat, the surrogate mothers of Ganon sacrificed themselves. However, since the ritual wasn't fully complete, Ganon appeared, but was without intellect. The hero defeats the mindless Demon King and saves Zelda while returning peace to both lands of Holodrum and Labrynna.
A Mysterious Dream
- Main article: Link's Awakening
Following the defeat of the Demon King, Link says his goodbyes to the lands of Holodrum and Labrynna. The young hero now sets off on a new journey by boat, in an attempt to return to Hyrule Kingdom. After exploring the vast seas, Link gets caught up in an intense storm. Link soon finds himself shipwrecked on the mysterious Island of Koholint. A local of the island's town, Mabe Village, takes the washed up hero to her home. She reveals her name to be Marin.
Link soon recovers his sword and proceeds to leave the island. However the villagers convince the hero that there is nothing beyond the sea, inciting him to stay. Link meets with a mysterious Owl, who tells him that in order to depart the island he must awake the Wind Fish. The Wind Fish is currently lying dormant on top of the island in his Egg. In order to wake the fish, he tells Link that he must obtain the Eight Instruments of the Sirens.
The young hero obtains all of the instruments and heads to Tal Tal Mountain Range towards Mt. Tamaranch and the Wind Fish's Egg. The hero plays the Ballad of the Wind Fish, which was previously taught to him by Marin. This magical song causes the Egg to break and it opens up to a maze-like structure.Link then battles his way through the maze and encountes a mysterious figure in the form of Shadow Nightmares. This dark figure was the reason why the Wind Fish entered a deep slumber, as it was his intention to control the island. Link defeats the many forms of the Nightmare, which subsequently awakens the Wind Fish. Now fully awakened, it is revealed that Koholint Island was a creation within his dreams. Koholint Island now disappears and Link finds himself awake in the middle of the ocean. Link once again sets sail to an unknown destination.
- ↑ "Despite losing the power of the Triforce and the bloodline of Hylia thinning, the Kingdom of Hyrule remained in peace." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 94
- ↑ "But then, the wizard Agahnim, who could use powerful magic, appeared and planned to break the seal of the Sacred Realm, which had become the Dark World." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 94
- ↑ "Agahnim seized the power from the king" — Hyrule Historia, pg. 94
- ↑ "and manipulated the soldiers to capture the maidens that were descendants from the seven sages." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 94
- ↑ "The maidens were offered as a sacrifice and sent to the Dark World." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 94
- ↑ "Princess Zelda, who was locked up in a prison, sent a telepathic message asking for help. The ones who listened to her voice were the young boy Link and his uncle, who lived near the castle." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 94
- ↑ "Link’s uncle went to the castle to save Princess Zelda, but he was defeated by the soldiers and when Link arrived later, he entrusted his sword and shield to Link." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 94
- ↑ "Link rescued Princess Zelda from the prison and they escaped through a secret passage to a church, where they sought sanctuary." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 95
- ↑ "Link paid a visit to the sage Sahasrahla and obtained the Pendant of Courage." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 95
- ↑ "In order to be entitled to obtain the Master Sword, the hero needed to obtain two other pendants." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 95
- ↑ "He then pulls the Master Sword from the pedestal in the forest." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 96
- ↑ "Link fights Agahnim and manages to corner him, but is pulled into the Dark World. Finally, the seal on the Sacred Realm has been broken, and a passage between Hyrule Castle and the Dark World is opened." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 96
- ↑ "Link, who had the makings of a hero, didn’t become a monster, but he his body turned into an animal (a bunny)." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 95
- ↑ "Finally, Link rescued Princess Zelda. The power of Princess Zelda and the Sages broke the barrier protecting Ganon’s Tower." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 97
- ↑ "Link defeated Agahnim who stood in his way" — Hyrule Historia, pg. 97
- ↑ "A dark wizard who threw Hyrule into chaos. His true identity is Ganon’s alter ego." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 94
- ↑ "was transported to the Pyramid where Ganon resided." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 97
- ↑ "Link touched the Triforce and wished for the world to return to its original, peaceful state." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 97
- ↑ "The twin witches, Twinrova, were scheming to perform a ceremony to revive the Demon King Ganon." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 98
- ↑ "For the revival ceremony, Twinrova needed three flames to burn – the “Flame of Destruction”, the “Flame of Sorrow” and the “Flame of Despair”" — Hyrule Historia, pg. 98
- ↑ "In order to obtain the Flame of Destruction and the Flame of Sorrow, the General of Darkness, Onox, was sent to the land of Holodrum and the Sorceress of Darkness, Veran, was sent to the land of Labrynna." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 98
- ↑ "The young boy named Link who saved the land of Hyrule was guided to the Triforce in Hyrule Castle and was transported to an unfamiliar land of Holodrum." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 98
- ↑ "After arriving to Holodrum, he lost his strength and collapsed, but found an itinerant on the road that was courteously looking after a dancing child, Din." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 98
- ↑ "However, suddenly everything was covered in darkness and a tornado arose with the General of Darkness called Onox. Onox’s objective was the “Oracle of Seasons”, Din, who guarded the four seasons. Even though Link challenged Onox with determination, Din was kidnapped." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 98
- ↑ "The Oracle of Seasons, Din, was sealed away, so the land of Holodrum became a world of a blend of the four seasons." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 98
- ↑ "Link used the “Rod of the Four Seasons” and set off to look for the 8 “Essences of Nature”." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 98
- ↑ "Using the Essences of Nature and Time respectively, they both have the power to create a “Huge Maku Seed” with the power to dispel evil." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 98
- ↑ "When Link saved the guardian Maku Tree from the darkness, he went to invade Onox’s castle in the north." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 98
- ↑ "Link defeated Onox who turned into a dark dragon and saved Din and restored the power of the four seasons to Holodrum." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 99
- ↑ "Next, Link was sent to the unfamiliar land of Labrynna." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 99
- ↑ "He saved Impa, who was surrounded by monsters" — Hyrule Historia, pg. 99
- ↑ "they proceeded forth and there was a group of animals surrounding Nayru, who was singing." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 99
- ↑ "Everything became dark and a shadow of the Sorceress of Darkness named Veran appeared from Impa and jumped into and took over the body of Nayru." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 100
- ↑ "Veran used Nayru’s ability to control time and returned to Labrynna’s past" — Hyrule Historia, pg. 100
- ↑ "An instrument that can manipulate time." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 100
- ↑ "Link was requested by the guardian Maku Tree to go out and search for the 8 lost “Essences of Time” with the “Harp of Ages.”" — Hyrule Historia, pg. 100
- ↑ "Link defeated Veran in her true form and rescued Nayru and returned the flow of time of Labrynna to normal." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 101
- ↑ "Twinrova, who was pulling the strings behind the two events lit the Flame of Destruction and Flame of Sorrow." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 101
- ↑ "Finally, they were going to use Princess Zelda as the holy sacrifice to revive the Demon King Ganon." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 101
- ↑ "Having borrowed the power of Din, the Oracle of Seasons, and Nayru, the Oracle of Ages, Link marched into the altar of the ceremony." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 101
- ↑ "Even though Link cornered and defeated Twinrova, they sacrificed themselves to revive Ganon." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 101
- ↑ "However, since the ceremony was incomplete, a Ganon without intellect appeared." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 101
- ↑ "Link defeated the rampaging Ganon and saved Princess Zelda and returned peace to Holodrum and Labrynna." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 101
- ↑ "Link departed from the people he met during his trials and left by boat to his next land for training." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 101
- ↑ "Link, having completed his training, is about to return to Hyrule Kingdom by boat.Hyrule Historia", pg. 102
- ↑ "In the midst of his voyage, he is swallowed up by a storm and his ship is sunk." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 102
- ↑ "Upon regaining consciousness, he finds he has washed ashore on an island known as Koholint." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 102
- ↑ "Link, aided by a girl named Marin who lives on the island" — Hyrule Historia, pg. 102
- ↑ "Link attempts to leave the island, only to be met with the inhabitants’ insistence that there is nothing beyond the sea." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 102
- ↑ "The mysterious owl that appears before Link informs him that the only way to escape the island is to awaken the Wind Fish." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 103
- ↑ "Link gathers the Instruments of the Sirens. Standing before the egg where the Windfish sleeps" — Hyrule Historia, pg. 103
- ↑ "This world exists within the dreams of the Wind Fish" — Hyrule Historia, pg. 103
- ↑ "Link the Hero, saviour of Hyrule Kingdom, has alone extinguished the world of dream. He sails forth once more. His further whereabouts are unknown." — Hyrule Historia, pg. 103