Concept art for King Dorephan in Breath of the Wild
King of the Zora
Ruler of the Zora
Dan Riordan (English)
King Dorephan is a character in Breath of the Wild. He is the King of the Zora and reigns over Zora's Domain. He is the father of Mipha and Sidon.
Breath of the Wild
King Dorephan can be found in the Throne Room of Zora's Domain. Given his large size and stature, he never leaves the throne room.
Reach Zora's Domain
- Main article: Reach Zora's Domain
As part of the Reach Zora's Domain quest, Sidon will guide Link to Zora's Domain. Once Link arrives at the Throne Room to speak with King Dorephan, the main quest will be completed. Once Link arrives, the King quickly sees the Sheikah Slate that is around his waist and recognizes him as Link, the Hylian Champion from 100 years ago. The King is delighted to see Link, although he had previously through that Link had fallen in battle. He is happy to see that he actually survived. After hearing that Link was asleep at the Shrine of Resurrection, he asks Link if he remembers his daughter, Mipha. He is saddened that Link has no recollection of her.
Divine Beast Vah Ruta
- Main article: Divine Beast Vah Ruta (Main Quest)
The King will then ask Link for some help as Zora's Domain is in great danger due to the Divine Beast Vah Ruta. Although even asking Link for help causes the King's assistant, Muzu to voice his immediate displeasure.  King Dorephan explains that the threat presented by Vah Ruta not only threatens the Zora, but also all of Hyrule. The groups need to put aside their past differences in order to deal with this particular crises. Muzu still rejects the King's peace offering, as he blames Hylians for 100 years ago, when they had abused their power, messing with the ancient civilization and turning the Divine Beasts against them.
King Dorephan explains that Vah Ruta has a unique power of producing an endless supply of water. The result has caused an endless plague of heavy rain, as well as the Eastern Reservoir filling to capacity. The reservoir will not hold much longer and once it bursts, water will engulf all of Zora's Domain. However, due to the research done by Princess Zelda, King Dorephan knows that the orbs on Ruta's shoulders are mechanisms that can control the water that it generates. However, they need a shock of electricity in order to work and keep the water under control. Siden mentions that one of their fellow Zora, Seggin, had his it with a Shock Arrow, and it temporarily slowed down the water production. However, as the Zora are water creatures, they are naturally vulnerable to electricity and were not able to hit the Divine Beast with enough juice. After asking Link to help stop Ruta's destruction, Link explains that he was instructed by Princess Zelda to board the Divine Beast and appease it from within.
The King is shocked to heard that Princess Zelda is still alive. He knows that if they can in fact appease the divine beast, it can be used to help seal Calamity Ganon. After Link agrees to help out, the King will offer Link the Zora Armor. When wearing this tunic, Link will have the ability to ascend up waterfalls, just like a Zora. This gift is met with strong resistance from Muzu, who says that the garment was made by Mipha, and it was only meant as a gift for whomever she was to marry. After Muzu storms off, the King downplays the situation, as he knows that just the mention of Mipha has caused stress on Muzu. The King mentions that Muzu was instructed to find the shock arrows needed to appear Vah Ruta. After Sidon offers to help, the King points Link to the square down below to speak with Muzu.
After Link defeats Waterblight Ganon, freeing Vah Ruta and Mipha's spirit within, she wishes she could speak to her father one last time; and sends Link back to Zora's Domain to meet with him. Dorephan thanks him, noting that the threat to Zora's Domain is gone, and what he had done for them was more than they could have expected from him. He offers Link a treasure chest containing Mipha's trademark weapon, the Lightscale Trident, as a token of their friendship. Depending on whether Link has already recovered the Master Sword from Korok Forest, he will either note its absence; or observe that, with it, perhaps he doesn't need the Lightscale Trident. He then thanks Link once more for his "heroic and selfless work!", then thanks his son for the part he played in getting Link to Vah Ruta, and says Sidon will be a worthy heir "when the time comes".
If Link speaks to Dorephan again afterward, he observes that Mipha did not return with Link. Link tells him he met her "spirit". Realising that means Mipha is truly dead, he asks if she said anything to Link. After Link gives more details, he regrets there was nothing he could do to save her, but notes that she "fulfilled her heroic duty as Champion", and calls it his "duty as her father to watch over her, even now." He then tells Link she really loved him, and must be overjoyed to help him, whatever the circumstances - and that he must promise to always remember her. After Link promises, he tells him that Link is always welcome in Zora's Domain, and thanks him once more.
Age of Calamity
|This section is a stub. You can help the Zelda Dungeon Wiki by expanding it.|
- The scar on King Dorephan's head came about after a fight with a Guardian Stalker that made its way towards Zora's Domain.
- As shown in Age of Calamity, and true to the Zora's longevity, King Dorephan has changed remarkably little in a hundred years.
- ↑ Ah. You must be the Hylian that Sidon brought here, correct? You did well to come all the way here! I am King Dorephan, ruler of the Zora. Hm? That object upon your waist... is that not a Sheikah Slate?! HMMM?! Now that I have gotten a good look at you, it is all too clear who you are... - King Dorephan
- ↑ You are the Hylian Champion, Link! Do not tell me you have forgotten me... - King Dorephan
- ↑ The Hylian Champion, Link, has appeared before us... We have met numerous times, I'll have you know. Ah... So many memories! My mind is overflowing with nostalgia, my friend. I had heard a terrible rumor that you had fallen in combat, but it appears you managed to survive. Extraordinary! - King Dorephan
- ↑ Come again? Sleeping, you say... Hm. Is that why you do not seem to remember me? But surely you must remember my precious daughter, Mipha, yes? You do, do you not? - King Dorephan
- ↑ I cannot believe it... Have you truly forgotten my dear Mipha as well? You and Mipha were so close... Yet you do not remember her? Young hero... Please look upon the beauty of Zora's Domain. Do you see that statue? Does gazing upon Mipha's immortalized form still not jog your memory? Well, perhaps your memory will return in time. I dearly hope so. - King Dorephan
- ↑ Oh? Yes, of course. But first, it is worth noting how remarkable it is that Sidon brought a Champion here without realizing it! That is quite a feat, my boy! Wah ha ha! That is a good one! Link, I doubt not that you have endured a great many trials. Still, I must ask you to hear my plea. - King Dorephan
- ↑ Now then. Hero...I must inform you that Zora's Domain is in danger of vanishing because of Divine Beast Vah Ruta. I shall do you the courtesy of speaking bluntly. We alone cannot stop this beast. Will you lend us your strength? - King Dorephan
- ↑ What?! King Dorephan! My liege! Please do not speak so! To ask a Hylian for help... Why, the very thought of it curls my fins! - Muzu
- ↑ Muzu, I expected more of you. How can you still protest? - King Dorephan
- ↑ Indeed! Link is a Champion, through and through. As things now stand, Zora's Domain... Nay! Perhaps all of Hyrule... is doomed to be swallowed by the sea. This is bigger than all of us, my friend. Zora and Hylians alike must put aside our differences and band together. - King Dorephan
- ↑ Have you forgotten already, my king?! We cannot trust these lowly Hylians! A hundred years ago, they abused the power of an ancient civilization and turned Hyrule into what it is today! And that is not the least of it! It is their fault that Lady Mipha was lost to us... - Muzu
- ↑ ... Link... Divine Beast Vah Ruta has great power. It has the unique ability to create an endless supply of water. Of late it has been mercilessly spouting water into the air. As a result, this area has been plagued by heavy rains. For us Zora, water and air are as one, so you would not think this would be quite so critical of a problem. Sadly, the rain have filled the eastern reservoir nearly to the point of flooding. If the reservoir bursts, as it soon will, I fear immense damage will befall not only Zora's Domain... but also the area downstream from us. There, Hylian lives are in very grave danger. - King Dorephan
- ↑ Hmm... Divine Beast Vah Ruta is crying out once again... - King Dorephan
- ↑ The Divine Beast Vah Ruta... Your princess, Zelda, often studied the Divine Beasts. That is, in the time before the Great Calamity. According to her research, the orbs located on Ruta's shoulders... are mechanisms that can control the water it generates. However, they require electricity to work. These orbs are clearly out of control now because there is no electricity coursing through to stop them. - King Dorephan
- ↑ Seggin, who is quite shock resistant for a Zora, hit one with a shock arrow. Sure enough, it slowed the water a bit. Unfortunately, as an aquatic race, we Zora are terribly vulnerable to the power of electricity. Perhaps because we could not safely strike it with enough electricity at once, the water soon returned to its full force. That is why I went in search of a Hylian who could help us! Link, I am certain you have already figured this out, but... We need you to use shock arrows to get those orbs workig properly again! I will aid you in any way I can, of course. Please, hero... I beg of you. Help me stop Ruta's rampage of destruction! - Sidon
- ↑ Whaaat?! Princess Zelda herself instructed you to board the Divine Beast and appease it from within? So then...Princess Zelda is still alive? - King Dorephan
- ↑ I do not believe it... She was alive this whole time, just as you were! The events of 100 years ago cannot be altered, it is true. But if we can regain control of the Divine Beasts...they may yet prove useful in sealing Calamity Ganon once and for all! - King Dorephan
- ↑ Thank you, Link. Truly. We are in your debt. Our goal is the same. That means our meeting was nothing short of destiny. Now then, allow me to offer you this gift as a show of faith. - King Dorephan
- ↑ So long as you wear this, you can ascend waterfalls just like a Zora. Please, take good care of it. - King Dorephan
- ↑ King Dorephan!! Surely you do not really intend to give this outsider the Zora armor! Countless generations of Zora princesses have gifted that armor to the one they have sworn to marry! Princess Mipha made that one there with her own hands! It is far too important to entrust to a shady Hylian! He may be a Champion, but Mipha had no such relationship with him. So why should HE receive such an honor? This is just too much, my liege! I do not understand it one bit! - Muzu
- ↑ Hmph. That Muzu is not easily swayed once his mind is set. You must understand... He was in charge of educating my dear daughter, Mipha. Naturally, she means a lot to him... just as she means the world to us. Ever since we lost her to the Calamity, he has grown to despise Hylians. I hope you can forgive his rudeness. - King Dorephan
- ↑ Hmm, but what shall we do now? I tasked Muzu with finding the shock arrows we will need to appease Vah Ruta. But now he has rushed off in a huff... - King Dorephan
- ↑ Sidon... I suppose that means you are going to tell him... Link... Muzu is most likely at the square down below. Would you mind going down there? I would like you to try to speak with him. - King Dorephan