Link playing the Spirit Flute
The Spirit Flute (Spirit Pipes in the European/Australian version) is the primary instrument in Spirit Tracks. It is a sacred pan flute that is passed down through the Royal Family of Hyrule and used to solve puzzles in the game.
The Spirit Flute is one of the Lokomos' sacred instruments that are used to bring peace to the land. It originally belonged to Anjean, but she gave it to Tetra, Zelda's ancestor, on the condition that they protect it. Tetra gave it to her descendants, making it a family heirloom, passed down through the generations. The current Princess Zelda's grandmother gave it to her, playing it for her when she was little if she felt sad or upset.
Link's first encounter with the Spirit Flute is after he receives his Engineer Certificate from Princess Zelda. She discreetly gives him a letter requesting that he meet her in her room. When he enters the room, he finds Zelda playing the Spirit Flute. Later, when Zelda's body is taken from her, she asks Link take the Spirit Flute with him, believing that it is meant to protect her.
Once the two reach the Tower of Spirits and retrieve a Rail Map, Anjean explains the Spirit Flute's history to them. She tells them to meet the forest sage, Gage, at his sanctuary. There, the sage accompanies the Spirit Flute on his cello in a Lokomo Song, which restores some of the Spirit Tracks to the land. Link must play several of these Lokomo Songs with the other sages in order to bring back sections of the Spirit Tracks.
The flute has six pipes that all play different notes. It is played by blowing into the microphone of the Nintendo DS and sliding the flute with the stylus to one of the pipes. The note becomes a sharp if Link holds the X button or up on the D Pad, and flat if they hold the B button or down on the D Pad.
The flute is used in duets with the Lokomos to restore the Spirit Tracks to the land. There are also five songs available with unique effects that Link can learn from Sound Stones to play anywhere.
- Main article: Spirit Tracks Songs
- Song of Awakening - Awakens Gossip Stones
- Song of Healing - Calls a Fairy to heal Link
- Song of Birds - Causes birds to come toward Link
- Song of Light - Reveals diamonds that can shoot out light beams
- Song of Discovery - Reveals hidden items, such as Treasure Chests
- ↑ "You got the Spirit Flute! This pan flute will probably come in very handy!" — In-Game Description, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "The ornate pan flute is a prized family heirloom dating back to the origins of Hyrule. Playing the flute allows Link to reveal some of the world's most obscure secrets and treasures." — pg. 13, Prima Games Spirit Tracks Collector's Edition Strategy Guide
- ↑ "Indeed. We are called the Lokomos. We are servants of the spirits. They have entrusted us with protecting the temples and the Spirit Tracks. By playing our sacred instruments... We generate energy that powers the Spirit Tracks." — Anjean, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Sacred instruments?" — Zelda, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Yes, and the Spirit Flute you hold is one of them." — Anjean, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Yes! And it was I who gave it to your ancestors! But only under the condition that they protect the land for all time. Of course, back then, I didn't think things would take such a perilous turn. I'm glad that after all these years it has found its way into your hands." — Anjean, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "It originally belonged to Anjean, who gave it to Tetra, who wanted it in order to build peace in the kingdom." — pg. 135, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
- ↑ "Spirit Flute
A mysterious flute passed down by each successive generation of Hylian princesses." — pg. 135, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
- ↑ "This flute was a gift from my grandmother. I didn't know it had any powers. I'd only heard that it was something precious handed down from my ancestors." — Zelda, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "I had no idea this flute was so important... My grandmother used to play it for me when I was a little girl. If I was sad or upset, the sound of this flute would make me feel better. But even so, I suppose its rightful place is with you, Anjean." — Zelda, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Shh--take this. No! Don't say a word right now. Read this later...and beware of the chancellor!" — Zelda, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "I have a great favor that I must ask of you in person. Follow this secret path at the top of the castle. Tap the map icon to copy the location to your map. Please come to my quarters as soon as you can, and don't let anyone see you. Zelda" — Zelda's Letter, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ ""Link finds Zelda playing a somber tune on an ornate pan flute." — pg. 48, Prima Games Spirit Tracks Collector's Edition Strategy Guide
- ↑ "This Spirit Flute is a prized family heirloom. It's been handed down for generations. It originally belonged to one of my ancestors, the one who founded this kingdom. It is my greatest treasure of all. I can't carry it while I'm in this state, as you can see. But I'm certain it's meant to protect me. I can hardly ask you to do any more for me... But...will you take this? And will you come to the tower with me? You're the only person I can turn to now." — Zelda, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Struggling to put it all together, Zelda finally realizes that she must visit the Tower of Spirits, now more than ever. Before setting off, she asks Link to take her Spirit Flute, certain that the ancient instrument is meant to protect her." — pg. 51, Prima Games Spirit Tracks Collector's Edition Strategy Guide
- ↑ "No, you two will have need of it. Please take it with you! For now... You must go find the other Lokomos and restore the energy of the rail maps. Once you do, the Spirit Tracks will reappear. Go to the forest first, where you must talk to the Lokomo Gage. South of the Forest Temple is a sanctuary where you can find Gage. He will be able to tell you where to go next.[.]" — Anjean, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Gage awaits you in the chamber beyond the door. He greets Zelda and Link and tells them they must play a special song to restore the Spirit Tracks leading to the Forest Temple." — pg. 67, Prima Games Spirit Tracks Collector's Edition Strategy Guide
- ↑ "The flute consists of different colored tubes, each producing a unique note." — pg. 13, Prima Games Spirit Tracks Collector's Edition Strategy Guide
- ↑ "Once you equip the flute, play it by blowing into the Nintendo DS's microphone and dragging the flute horizontally with the stylus. " — pg. 13, Prima Games Spirit Tracks Collector's Edition Strategy Guide
- ↑ "The flute also plays a role in recharging the Spirit Tracks, allowing Link to explore new realms." — pg. 13, Prima Games Spirit Tracks Collector's Edition Strategy Guide
- ↑ "During his journeys, Link is taught new songs to play on the flute, each with its own unique effect." — pg. 13, Prima Games Spirit Tracks Collector's Edition Strategy Guide