Base Shield Guard
"Rito warriors cherish this shield. Its unique shape is designed with mid-battle flight in mind to facilitate aerial combat."
The Kite Shield is a shield found in Breath of the Wild.
Breath of the Wild
The Kite Shield has a base Shield Guard of 14, and has an unusual design for a shield, however it does function as well as other shields of the same defense rating. In appearance, it is in the rough shape of a kite, sporting many different colors and Rito feathers attached to the base of the shield.
It's one of the rarest shields in the game. Only four Kite Shields exist within Hyrule (three in the base game, one in Master Mode), and once broken do not reappear, rendering them irrecoverable. Neither Rito nor monsters are shown wielding them.
They can be found:
- Northwest of the Hebra Plunge on the shore before the waterfall;
- In the northernmost skull Monster Camp at the North Tabantha Snowfield;
- From getting a time between 2:15 and 2:29 on Selmie's Shield-Surfing's Advanced Course (can only be obtained once);
- DLC: inside the water in the first waterfall of the Hebra Falls.
For the Hyrule Compendium one can be photographed on the wall of Selmie's Spot but cannot be taken.
Contrary to popular belief, the Kite Shield has only average-to-low shield surfing statistics overall in spite of its reputation otherwise. It amounts to 0.25 durability points/sec, which at 16 points of durability amounts to just 64 seconds of sledding.
- Ironically, the Kite Shield is not shaped like a real-life kite shield, which is a teardrop-shaped shield which is round at the top and tapers at the bottom. The real-life kite shield is named after its kite-like shape, while the Kite Shield in the game is mostly named as a reference to its aerial motif, as well as to the kite birds.
Breath of the Wild Hyrule Compendium picture of a Kite Shield.