The Wind Waker
He is first seen capturing Tetra over Outset Island whilst being pursued by the band of pirates. Link watches a cannonball hit the bird and cause Tetra to fall into the woods on the island. Aryll then tells Link that he must rescue the girl. After he rescues Tetra, Aryll is captured by the Helmaroc King and taken away across the sea. Link decides to leave the island and save his sister. Link ventures along with Tetra and her pirates to track down the bird. They find it at a forbidden place, the Forsaken Fortress. The Helmaroc King is sitting in a nest at the very top. Link is fired out of a cannon to sneak into the Fortress. After exploring around, he then enters the central tower where the bird flies in unexpectedly and takes Link to its master, Ganon. The Helmaroc King then throws Link out to sea.
Link later returns to the Forsaken Fortress to rescue his sister. Link faces off against the bird, killing it atop the Fortress's Tower.
At the beginning of the battle, all he will do is fly around the area. Every once in a while he will land and try to peck at Link in order to damage him. If Link dodges the attack the bird's face will get stuck in the ground. Link can then pound it with the Skull Hammer to hurt him. The Helmaroc King has other varying attacks during the fight with Link. Namely, the Helmaroc King will float in the air and rapidly move its wings, creating a gust of air that will push Link back against the nearby wall. There are spikes lining the wall, so Link will need to move forward as much as possible to resist taking damage. Finally, the bird will also try to dive at Link, but Link can dodge this by side stepping immediately before the attack. The bird will usually then run into one of the surrounding walls, or the giant ship nearby.
After five hits his mask will fall off, leaving his face vulnerable. The bird will use the same attacks as before, and the process to attack him is still the same. When the Helmaroc King attempts to attack, dodge his peck attack and this time use either the Skull Hammer or Master Sword to attack him. After a few cycles, the bird will fly into the air defeated and explode, leaving behind another Heart Container.
Four Swords Adventures
The Helmaroc King also appears as the boss of The Mountain Path stage in the Death Mountain level. The gigantic bird had been terrorizing the Gorons that live on the mountain and had lived on top for quite some time. Kaepora Gaebora asks the Links to defeat the bird while he investigates a disturbance at Hyrule Castle. According to a tablet nearby, the Gorons had created a plan to knock the bird out of the sky using Bombs, but they had no idea what to do after that.
The Helmaroc King will attack by diving at the Links. It will also occasionally cause Boulders to fall from the sky, dealing a half heart of damage each. The Links can use the strategy of throwing bombs at the bird to make it crash. It will land either on the ground on crash into one of the stone caves in the area. The Links can approach it or enter the cave to destroy the bird's mask using the Magic Hammer. After its mask is broken, they can attack the bird directly with their swords.
After defeating the Helmaroc King, the Links will be able to continue on to the Tower of Flames.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
The Helmaroc King appears as a trophy that can randomly be obtained in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The trophy's description reads this:
- A monstrous bird that wears a mask. On orders from Ganondorf, he sets out in search of Zelda, capturing every pointy-eared little girl he can find. His weak point is the area directly under his mask. This fellow has a similar mask to the more-beastly Helmasaur King, who appeared in "A Link to the Past".
- ↑ "[sfx]Hoo hoo hoo! Link, there's a colossal bird wearing a mask living on Death Mountain! The giant beast appeared after Vaati stormed the mountain. The mountain's guardians of old--a tribe of Gorons--are troubled by the bird, too. I implore you, go and help the Gorons! They're counting on you, Link!" — Kaepora Gaebora, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "There's been this weird bird up on top of Death Mountain a lot lately. It flies around the peak day after day. It's huge! And that mask it's wearing! I've never seen anything so scary! If you go ask my dad, I'm sure he'd crack that mask for you." — Goron, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "[sfx]The giant bird is just up ahead. It is quite fast, so keep your eyes open. We bird folk like to fly high and gaze down on the land. This area is especially nice. We'll not let beautiful Hyrule be taken by these dark beings. ...Hm? That's Hyrule Castle... I believe you've driven off its darkness already, but... Something's not right. I shall go and investigate! You keep going! Get rid of that bird and save the maiden from the Tower of Flames! We shall meet again!" — Kaepora Gaebora, Four Swords Adventures.
- ↑ "-Secret Goron Plan for Crushing the Giant Bird- 1. Hit the bird with bombs and knock it out of the sky. 2. Think something up quick! (Because I have no clue what to do next!)" — Tablet, Four Swords Adventures.