Upon Link's entrance to the boss chamber, Ghirahim welcomes him on a high balcony. He starts by acknowledging he does not know Link's name; which he says is irrelevant because he is mad and needs someone to use it one. He then proceeds to tell Link the story of why he is here, which revolves around him learning his minions had captured the spirit maiden, and thus he rushed over, only to learn that Impa had freed her. Finally, Ghirahim says he plans to introduce Link to a friend of his, adding that this friend only requires a few moments to burn Link to a crisp.
When the battle begins, Scaldera fires fireballs in different directions and Link needs to run up the slope while dodging the fireballs. Scaldera eventually chases after Link. Link needs to throw bombs into its mouth, which damages its exo-skeleton. This reveals an eye beneath, which must be attacked with the sword to eventually defeat it.
Target lock: Scaldera
Immediately start running up the slope ― Link cannot do anything to Scaldera while it is on fire. A little ways up the ramp Scaldera should cool down, revealing its rocky carapace. If Link throws a bomb at it, the monster will roll down the slope. Follow it down and prepare another bomb. As it opens its mouth in preparation for a fireball attack, throw in a bomb and the explosion will chip away some of the carapace, revealing an eye. Slash at it with Link's sword until it re-ignites. Repeat this process until it sustains enough damage to change its strategy to the Second Phase.
If Link is not fast enough with the second bomb and it launches its fireball attack, dash back and forth to avoid them. If Link runs all the way to the top, he can hide on the far left or right side of the circular platform where neither the fireballs or Scaldera can reach. Link can also pick up some hearts and bombs here.
Scaldera raises its body high above the ground and rushes up the slope past Link. Once Scaldera reaches the top, it will roll down and try to crush Link. Stand on one side of the slope, then dash to the other side before it hits Link, and it will roll past him down to the bottom. Here, it prepares another fireball attack, so throw a bomb in its mouth and repeat the process from the First Phase. The eye moves around this time, which requires more precise aiming of the sword.
- ↑ "Let me see... No, that's not it. This is so very embarrassing, but I seem to be at a loss for your name. Not that it matters, really. To tell you the truth, I'm feeling a bit frustrated, and right now I just need someone to vent to." — Ghirahim, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "I heard my underlings had finally captured the spirit maiden, so of course I rushed over here. What can I say? I was excited. Flustered, even... But what did I find when I arrived? That agent of the goddess..." — Ghirahim, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "She had once again... You see, what I'm trying to say is..." — Ghirahim, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "That goddess-serving dog escaped with the girl!" — Ghirahim, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "There's someone special I'd like you to meet. Oh, don't be shy! I need to vent all this unhealthy anger, and your agony is such a great stress reliever." — Ghirahim, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "It won't take more than a few moments with my friend before you're charred to a satisfying crisp. And let me tell you, that will put a spring in my step!" — Ghirahim, Skyward Sword.