If Link speaks with Joe at the start of the game, he makes fun of Link for not even being able to do a somersault. He teaches Link how to properly roll by tapping twice in the direction that Link wants to go. After rolling into the tree, a honeycomb drops down, causing a bunch of Bees to get riled up. Joe calls Link a klutz and encourages him to go jump in the water so that he doesn't get hurt by the bees' sting. The boy then runs off to the right, away from the bees. If Link talks to Joe afterwards, he apologizes and says that he was just goofing off. As an apology, he gives Link a common Treasure piece. Talking to him further, Joe just wishes good luck to Link at his graduation ceremony.
Later in the game, Joe asks Link if he knows of a place that he could go and fly like a bird, because he has always dreamed of doing so. If Link says he does, Joe eagerly asks if Link will take him there on his train. Like most passengers, he cannot board the train if Link has someone else on board, and he complains and eventually leaves the train if Link does not follow the signs found alongside the tracks or is attacked by enemies. However, once Link takes him to Beedle's Air Shop, he becomes excited at the thought that it can fly, although he is confused about Beedle and his odd appearance. Although Beedle tries to defend himself, Joe ignores him and thanks Link, awarding him with a Force Gem.
When Link returns to him again, he explains how amazing it was that he flew, although he felt very floaty and cold.
- Joe was not referred to by name anywhere in Spirit Tracks, nor was his name mentioned in the Prima Games Strategy Guide. His official name was revealed in Hyrule Historia.
- ↑ "Hey, [Link]! Today's your graduation ceremony, right? How can someone who can't even do a somersault be a train engineer? If you can be an engineer, I bet anyone can do it. If you want to prove me wrong, go roll into that tree over there! Just tap the screen twice in the direction you want to roll." — Joe, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Bwahaha! You're such a klutz, [Link]! Why are you just standing there? Everyone knows that getting stung by bees hurts! When you see them buzzing, start running or throw yourself in the water STAT!" — Joe, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Hey, don't get all bent out of shape! I was just goofing around! Let me give you something to make up for it! Here, take this! You can find treasures like this all over the world. Try to get a whole bunch of them, 'cause something good happens when you do." — Joe, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Oh, hey, [Link]! Um...good luck at the graduation ceremony!" — Joe, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "I've always dreamed of seeing the world from high up in the sky, like a bird! I bet all the people in the village would look like teeny, tiny ants... Do you know a place where I can fly like a bird? [.]Sure.[.]Nah." — Joe, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "What? Seriously? Then will you take me to it, please? [.]OK.[.]Sorry." — Joe, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "Hey, what's this? You've already got a passenger aboard! Come back and get me once your car is free!" — Joe, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "How'd you ever get to be an engineer driving like that, [Link]? Do you want to try that again? [.]Yes![.]Nah." — Joe, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "What in the world? Where are we, [Link]? Can this thing...fly? Are we going to fly?! This is just amazing, [Link]! And who's the funny- looking guy over there?" — Joe, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "No! No, no! I am not funny, and neither is your joke! What's more, Beedle is actually quite the ladies' man! So there!" — Beedle, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "There's something a little weird about him, don't you think? Oh, well, whatever... Thank you for bringing me here, [Link]!" — Joe, Spirit Tracks.
- ↑ "I flew, [Link]! It was AMAZING! The people below looked like little ants! Ohhh, but it was scary, too. My body felt all floaty and cold up there." — Joe, Spirit Tracks.