Bird Statues can be found all throughout Skyward Sword. Their main purpose is to serve as save points.
Each Bird Statue "contains significant sacred power", which in turn -- only when offered prayers -- allows someone to record their progress. All statues allow Link to save his progress; however, some Bird Statues differ from the others. Said statues also allow him to return to the Sky from the Surface, or vice versa due to Fi's significant memorization skills. All Link must do is interact with the statue and its location will be recorded.
- ↑ "This bird statue contains significant sacred power. If you offer prayers through it, you can make a record of your quest progress." — Fi, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "Mornin', [Link]. How's life? Did you manage to get even a wink of sleep last night? Figured you might've been tossin' and turnin' all night thinkin' about the big ceremony today. What am I doin'? Oh, just fixin' this gate here... It's been squeaky lately, and we can't have that on the day of the ceremony! Hey, you haven't already forgotten to send your prayers to the goddess this morning, have you? Just face the bird statue over there, and say a short prayer to save your progress. As you know, those bird statues are all over Skyloft. It's about time you get in the habit of stoppin' at a statue every time you run by one. A prayer in time saves nine, if you know what I'm sayin'!" — Jakamar, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "Listen. As an upperclassman, I've got some advice for you. There's something you should always do before you go somewhere dangerous. You should find a bird statue and send your prayers to the goddess to save your progress. Make it part of your routine! The bird statues you can pray to are marked on your map. It should be easy to find one." — Pipit, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "In addition to saving your progress, bird statues located on the surface offer you a way to return to the sky. However, it seems that statues housed inside buildings do not possess the ability to send you back to the sky." — Fi, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "Let's return to the sky once more before continuing our search. The bird statue outside can take us back up." — Fi, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "A report, Master. It is possible to descend to a specific bird statue on the surface after you have already visited it and I have memorized its location. To do this, point to the area you want to descend to with [cursor] and press [A] to confirm your destination." — Fi, Skyward Sword.
- ↑ "When you find a bird statue, you should always examine it more closely, even if you have no intention of using it to save your progress. Examining the bird statue will record it on your map, allowing you to check its position later with [+]." — Fi, Skyward Sword.