Calip is a character found in Breath of the Wild
Calip lives in a small cabin just east of Fort Hateno. He is a researcher who spends his nights patrolling back and forth in his home, analyzing ancient texts. He insists that Link refer to him as Doctor Calip, instead of Mr. Calip, as he spent a good deal of his life studying to earn the degree. He often refers to himself in the third person, and thinks of himself as a bit more important than he really is.
Calip spends day and night working, so much so that he never gets time to see his family. He is obsessed with his work that he hasn't even told his family about it. Calip will stay in his house overnight, waiting until 6am in the morning before heading out to do field research.
During the daytime, Calip will travel east along the pathway and then up north to a small valley with a bunch of stone statues. He only works during the daytime as there are hordes of monsters that roam during the night. Even so, if any enemies pop up, Calip will run away, screaming for help, even after Link has defeated the enemies in the area. Link is able to accompany Calip during the daytime, but he tells Link to try to not get in the way. Calip will occasionally go off on a tangent when talking about his work, even referencing a voodoo doll, before then backtracking, as he believes he is delving into matters too terrifying for the average person.
The Cursed Statue
- Main article: The Cursed Statue
After talking to Calip, when Link acknowledges that Calip is a Doctor, it certainly changes Calip's demeanor and this will begin The Cursed Statue quest. He will tell Link of a riddle that he is trying to solve, "When a dark light resides in the cursed statue's eyes, pierce its gaze to purge the seal from the shrine.".
Calip hints that he thinks that the dark light could just very well be the night light. However, at 5pm each evening, Calip will head back to his house, so he never gets to see the statues during the evening hours.
After completing the quest, Calip is even more confuses as to how the Shrine has suddenly appear, chalking it up to it being a stroke of luck. With the shrine now visible, Calip is continuing his research.
- ↑ And since you asked, I'll inform you that I'm engaged in analyzing ancient texts. I haven't time for idle chitchat. - Calip
- ↑ HA! Let me guess... You caught wind of the great Dr. Calip's groundbreaking research and just HAD to meet him for yourself. Heh... No? Don't tell me you've never even HEARD of me! After I've dedicated my life to researching the ancient shrines?! *sigh* Well, you'd better remember my name, for it's not the last you'll hear of it! And while I'm at it, it's "DOCTOR Calip," if you please. I didn't study my rear end off to be called "Mr. Calip." Everyone forgets I'm a doctor for some reason... - Calip
- ↑ Soon, my long years of research will be revealed...and all the world will hail it as the discovery of the century! To prevent any undue attention, I haven't even told my family about my work. You understand, I'm sure. - Calip
- ↑ It's close... It HAS to be... Hmm, dawn is starting to break. Time for another day of field research. - Calip
- ↑ Today's research trip is on hold. My glasses are unfortunately metallic... In this weather, my life could be at risk! - Calip
- ↑ I don't mind a little rain, but the lightning in Hyrule is alarmingly attracted to anything metallic. No, on days like this, it's best to shut oneself in and wait for the rain to clear. If you must go on gallivanting across the countryside, take care you don't get struck, at least. - Calip
- ↑ I only do fieldwork at shrines and ruins during the day. Why, you ask? Hmmm, could it have something to do with the hordes of monsters roaming at night? What an ignoramus... - Calip
- ↑ Help me! Heeeeelp meeeee! ...Oh, you're not a monster. You're just you. I thought you were one of these impertinent monsters for a moment... - Calip
- ↑ You again? What not? You want to tag along on my fieldwork? Well, I suppose it might do you some good to see an expert at work. Just try to stay out of my way. - Calip
- ↑ Don't go spreading this around, but I've made an interesting discovery in this ancient text. After cross-checking with a few other manuscripts, I've realized something about this cursed statue... It can only refer to a dreadful variety of doll with the ability to influence one's behavior! Ah, but my apologies. I'm delving into matters too terrifying for laymen. - Calip
- ↑ Doctor... Did I...just hear you call me doctor? As in, not merely Calip, but DOCTOR Calip? It rolled off your tongue so naturally. It was downright salivary! - Calip
- ↑ Hrm... This changes things... Very well then! I'm feeling charitable, so I'll let a few things spill. This is just between us, understand. "When a dark light resides in the cursed statue's eyes, pierce its gaze to purge the seal from the shrine." I'm still in the process of deciphering that one, so I don't suppose there's any harm in sharing it with you. That's my life in a nutshell. Days filled with researching shrines and nights spent studying ancient texts. That leaves no time to converse with passing strangers, so farewell. - Calip
- ↑ "When a dark light resides in the cursed statue's eyes, pierce its gaze to purge the seal from the shrine." I'm not wrong, am I? It must be around there... - Calip
- ↑ I've been pondering the dark light mentioned here for some time, and I must admit I'm stumped. Light can't be dark, obviously. Unless... Whoops! Can't go divulging my research before I publish, now, can I? - Calip
- ↑ I try not to set foot outside my hut when night falls and monsters begin to roam this area. Just because I'm a trained archaeologist doesn't mean I have any skill with a blade. Quite the opposite, in fact. - Calip
- ↑ A shrine? Here? But I hadn't completed my inquiry into the mystery of the ancient texts. Hrm... This must be what we in the archaeology profession refer to as "a stroke of luck." Er, not that I believe in any such thing... - Calip
- ↑ Huh. The mystery deepens... My only response can be to redouble my efforts-now that the shrine is visible-to solve the mystery at last! - Calip