Posted on January 06 2018 by Almog Rimmer
After the success of Breath of the Wild, industry insider Marcus Sellars and other video game industry insiders have claimed that a brand new Zelda game is coming to the Nintendo 3DS family of systems this year. Supposedly, this game is a Link’s Awakening-like remake, but it will be more open like Breath of the Wild:
“A new 3DS Zelda Game is coming. An enhanced remake of Link[‘]s Awakening but more opening like Bo[t]W. [It] was suppose[d] to come this year but we delayed for gameplay changes.We will see a reveal soon[.]”
Marcus Sellars has said on Twitter that the team handling this new game is Grezzo, who have worked on titles such as Majora’s Mask 3D and Tri Force Heroes:
Regarding the 3DS inspired a Link's Awakening game coming out this year. The team behind it is Grezzo who have handled many Zelda games for 3DS. A prime example is the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D.
— Marcus Sellars (@Marcus_Sellars) January 3, 2018
A new 3DS Zelda Game is coming.An enhanced remake of Links Awakening but more opening like BoTW.was suppose to come this year but we delayed for gameplay changes.We will see a reveal soon
— Nate (@Nate8696) December 29, 2017
Sellars also gave some clarification regarding the remake of this 1993 Gameboy Classic:
“It’ll come out within the first 6 months of this year. The team behind it is very experienced at handling remasters and Zelda titles. They have worked on Majora’s Mask 3DS, A Link Between Worlds [Editor’s Note: Grezzo did not develop ALBW], and many others.“
If this rumor is true, then the 3DS is, indeed, not dead, as Nintendo has stated in the past. This is extraordinary news for anyone who has any of the 3DS family of systems, since it means Nintendo will continue supporting the 3DS alongside the Switch.
Additionally, on Reddit, Nate869621 posted the following on December 26:
- The game was suppose[d] to come out this year, but due to the focus on Bo[t]W and the DLC[,] it was delayed to next year to change the gameplay to a more ‘open’ approach.
- The game is being developed by Grezzo, the guys behind A Link Between Worlds [Editor’s Note: Grezzo did not develop ALBW] and Tri-force Heroes. (They release a Zelda game every 2nd year)
- It will be inspired heavily by Link’s Awakening, [m]any will consider it a remake but it will also be inspired by Bo[t]W and past games.
- There will be a N2DS bundle.
- Release is around Q2. Possibly early Q3.
- The game will be revealed very soon[.]
If we are to believe this rumor, then it seems Nintendo and Grezzo have another wild card up their sleeve. But as of the time of writing, the news is still a rumor, so it is only natural to take it with a grain of salt, despite of the fact that multiple sources confirm this is happening.