Posted on January 24 2018 by Calamity Siothrún
Resetera user Ishaan has been keeping an eye on Breath of the Wild sales in Japan and notes that the most recent Zelda title has become the highest selling Zelda game in Japan in 19 years. It is only outsold by Ocarina of Time, meaning that Breath of the Wild has sold more than every other Zelda title released in the past 18 years.
Ishaan shares some facts regarding Breath of the Wild:
- As of last week, the game has sold 957,752 units in Japan at retail
- This figure only accounts for retail sales, so the number is even higher when accounting for digital sales
- This figure also does not represent the latest sales figures for the Wii U version
- Ocarina of Time has sold approximately 1.25 million units in Japan
- The previous second-highest-selling Zelda was Phantom Hourglass (2007) at 907,821 units sold
Ishaan also notes they have been tracking the development of how each Zelda game has sold over the years and promotes an article that he wrote for Game Design Gazette. That article mentions Breath of the Wild‘s success has to do with the platform that it is available on, as well as its audience and the way Nintendo has promoted of the game.
He has also included this graph for those wanting to see how Breath of the Wild compares to other Zelda titles sold:
What do you guys think about this achievement? Are you surprised? Let us know down in the comments!