The Old Man is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series, having appeared in The Legend of Zelda, Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages. In each game he appears in, he offers assistance to Link, by way of giving him items, upgrades, Rupees, and hints.
The Legend of Zelda
The Old Man in The Legend of Zelda can be called Link's companion throughout his adventure. He appears almost everywhere; in Overworld caves and in at least one room of every dungeon. He is first met in the cave on the Starting Screen of the game and gives Link his first Sword at this location. He also gives Link many other items all the way, including the White Sword, the Magical Sword, and both Bomb upgrades. Also, if Link can find him in a cave found at the top of a staircase in northeastern Hyrule, the Old Man gives Link the Letter, and tells him to bring it to the Old Woman. When Link later does give it to the Old Woman, she accepts it and allows Link to start buying Potions from her Potion Shop.
There are also certain caves across Hyrule that the Old Man is upset at Link for destroying the door. Inside these rooms, the Old Man asks Link to pay for the door repair. This repair costs 20 Rupees.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons, the Old Man is seen frequently throughout Link's quest. He is first seen within the first dungeon of the game, Gnarled Root Dungeon. His message to Link is very short; he says, "Return light to unlit torches!" This is a hint to Link that he can use his Seed Satchel and Ember Seeds (which he obtains a little later in the dungeon) to light torches in order to solve puzzles.
The Old Man can be constantly found in numerous underground bunkers across Holodrum. These bunkers are hidden by bushes. However, these bushes can be burnt away by Link’s Ember Seeds, revealing the entrance. Inside the Old Man will do one of two things depending on the location; he may give Link a large sum of Rupees, saying not to tell anyone. He may also take Rupees from Link, saying he thanks Link for paying to fix the door.
The Old Man also gives Link the Round Jewel, an item necessary to enter the Ancient Ruins. However, Link must have collected the first five essences; if he has not, the Old Man simply mumbles how he awaits “one who knows many essences”. If Link has collected the five essences, the Old Man is very happy to see Link, and gives him the Round Jewel. This location is found in the southeastern corner of the Holodrum Plain, a location that is northwest from Horon Village and west from North Horon.
Oracle of AgesPresent the cave is found at the Rolling Ridge Base. The Old Man can be found underneath a bush that is one screen to the right and one screen down from Mermaid's Cave. In the Past the cave is found on the exact same screen. During the present, the generous Old Man will give Link 200 rupees. On the flipside, the Old Man in the Past will charge Link 50 rupees for the Door Repair charge.
- In The Legend of Zelda, it is unknown if there is only one Old Man or multiple. However, it has been commonly accepted by fans to be only one Old Man.
- ↑ "SHOW THIS TO THE OLD WOMAN" — Old Man, The Legend of Zelda.
- ↑ "BUY MEDICINE BEFORE YOU GO" — Old Woman, The Legend of Zelda.
- ↑ "PAY ME FOR THE DOOR REPAIR CHARGE" — Old Man, The Legend of Zelda.
- ↑ "Return light to unlit torches!" — Old Man, Oracle of Seasons.
- ↑ "Shh! Don't tell!" — Old Man, Oracle of Seasons.
- ↑ "I thank you for paying to fix my door." — Old Man, Oracle of Seasons.
- ↑ "Soil, time, sun, rain, warmth... I await one who knows many essences..." — Old Man, Oracle of Seasons.
- ↑ "Oh keeper of the essences! I have awaited your arrival! I give you this!" — Old Man, Oracle of Seasons.