- Chapter 1 – Tail Cave
- Chapter 2 – Bottle Grotto
- Chapter 3 – Key Cavern
- Chapter 4 – Angler’s Tunnel
- Chapter 5 – Catfish’s Maw
- Chapter 6 – Face Shrine
- Chapter 7 – Eagle’s Tower
- Chapter 8 – Turtle Rock
- Chapter 9 – The Awakening
7.1 The Legendary Rooster
– Our next stop is back at Mabe Village on the west side of Koholint Island. Before heading there, just walk down a screen from outside of Face Shrine and you’ll bump into the owl. This time around he talks more about the Wind Fish, but then finishes off by saying that you must go to the Mountain Tower. He even gives a hint of saying you must, “Fly like a bird!” Pull out the ocarina and play Manbo’s Mambo to warp to the west side of Koholint Island. Walk down 5 screens and left 2 screens to get back to Mabe Village.
– Back in Mabe Village, walk over to the center of town where Marin was earlier in the game. Now that we have the level 2 power bracelet, we can now move the giant bird statue in the center of town. Push it up and then head down the steps that were underneath the statue. Walk up a screen to find a pile of bones on the ground. Pull out the Ocarina and play the Frog’s Song of Soul to bring the rooster back from the dead. The blue rooster will now follow you around, much like Bow-Wow and Marin earlier in the game. Exit the cave.
– There are a few things that the rooster can do for you. For one, if you pick it up with the power bracelet, the rooster will fly up, allowing you to fly as well. This will allow you cross over even large gaps that you couldn’t jump over before. A cool trick is that if you have the boomerang and the power bracelet equipped at the same time, you can toss the boomerang and then quickly grab the rooster. The boomerang will continue to spin underneath you, hitting any enemies that are in the way.
– There are a few things we could do with the Flying Rooster and one of them is reaching a cave that we couldn’t reach before located right near Kanalet Castle. Make your way all the way to the screen with the draw bridge right in front of Kanalet Castle. From the draw bridge, walk to the left a screen and you’ll see a staircase across the large gap. Lift up the flying rooster and fly on over to reach the cave. Inside you will find a treasure chest containing secret seashell #23. If you have already gotten the level 2 sword, you’ll just find 20 rupees inside this treasure chest.
– Our next stop is all the way at the north part of Koholint Island on Mount Tamaranch. Play Manbo’s Mambo to warp near the mountain. From here head left a screen, up two screens, right three screens, and up a screen to reach the mountain. You’ll find the owl here once again and he tells you to head east. Lift the rocks on this screen and enter the cave.
– We have been through this cave earlier in the quest, so make your way through the first two screens and head down the steps. Continue right a screen and walk up the steps here. You’ll see that piece of heart once again, and we will be getting it soon, but not quite yet. Walk to the right a screen and you can use the rooster or the hook shot to get over to the treasure chest found here. Open it up to get 50 rupees. Hook shot back over, use the Pegasus boots to head right a screen, and then exit the cave.
– Walk to the right three screens and then climb the large ladder found here. Walk to the left two screens and enter the cave found here. Walk left a screen and you’ll find yourself in a room with a number of holes. If you fall down one of these holes, you’ll fall out of the cave down a waterfall, so be careful. Use the power bracelet to pick up the flying rooster and then fly over the holes, making your way to the top of the screen. Go up and use the flying rooster once again to get across this massive gap before heading left. Walk on over and get the Bird’s Key that is on the ground here! Now use the rooster to backtrack through the cave and ext the way you came in.
– Back outside, climb the steps and make your way right two screens across the bridges. There are three rocks found here and the one at the top-right corner will have secret seashell #24 underneath it! However, if you’ve already gotten the level 2 sword, nothing will be underneath this stone.
– Backtrack to the left two screens to reach a house with a green rooftop. Inside you’ll find a man who loves cuccos and adores your flying rooster. He also happens to resemble Luigi from the Super Mario Bros. series. From his house, use the flying rooster or the hook shot and make your way left three screens. There is a bush here and if you cut it down, you’ll find a staircase hidden underneath. Walk down the steps to enter the cave.
– Defeat the enemies in this first room and then use your sword to tap against the wall at the bottom of the screen. You’ll hear that secret sound, signifying that you can blast through this wall. Place a bomb and then head down a screen. Avoid the enemies and head right a screen to finally collect that piece of heart we saw earlier. This is Piece of Heart #11 and there is only one more left to go! Backtrack left a screen, up a screen, and exit the cave. Continue backtracking right three screens to get back to the cucco mans house.
– From the cucco house, go down the steps, right two screens, and down a screen. Swim across the water, head right a screen, and enter the cave found here. Inside this cave, you’ll find it’s filled with water except for one soft piece of land at the top of the screen. Place a bomb on this piece of land to blast open a hole in the wall. Walk up a screen and climb the steps found here.
– Walk down a screen and you’ll find five treasure chests, each of them containing 20 rupees. However, if you open one treasure chest and leave the cave, all the treasure will disappear the next time you come back. Thus you want to open as many of them as you can. If you do enter the room from the top screen, you can only open four of the five treasure chests. So what you want to do is push the block that is next to the top-left treasure chest to the left, but don’t open the actual treasure chest. Walk straight down, pushing the next block down, allowing you to reach the south exit. Don’t open any of the treasure chests yet and instead, just leave the cave.
– Back outside, walk down a screen and you’ll find a treasure chest. Open it up get secret seashell #25! As usual, if you have the level 2 sword, this chest will just contain 20 rupees. Walk back up a screen and enter the cave.
– From the south entrance of the room, you can get all five treasure chests. The treasure chest in the middle can be opened immediately. The one on the left can be reached after pushing the adjacent block to the left. The treasure chest at the bottom-right can be opened by pushing the adjacent block to the right. Stand right in between the two opened treasure chests and walk straight up, pushing the block up one. Then push the block directly to the left over, allowing you to reach the top part of the room. You can now push the adjacent blocks of the two remaining treasure chests to get the rest of the rupees. Walk up a screen and go down the steps. Go down a screen, right a screen, and exit the cave.
– Walk right a screen and talk to the owl statue. The statue states, “You are near the Eagle’s Tower. Beware of the bird!” This is actually one of the few owl statues that isn’t as cryptic as the rest of them, since Eagle’s Tower is bound to have a bird in it. Climb the steps and enter the cave found here.
– Make your way right two screens through this straight forward cave and exit on the other side. Walk left a screen to re-enter the same cave from another location. Walk right a screen and head down the steps. Jump over the gap, climb the steps, and head right a screen. Continue down a screen and then use the hook shot to get across the gap. Jump off the ledge and exit the cave.
– There is a cracked wall that you can see at the bottom of the screen. You can place a bomb if you’d like, as inside you will find a fairy fountain. Afterwards, enter the cave on the right side of the screen. Make your way through this very linear cave and exit on the other end to get back outside.
– Walk left a screen to find yourself at the entrance of Eagle’s Tower. Lift the rock on the left side and place the Bird’s Key into the lock. Eagle’s Tower will spin around, revealing the entrance. Climb the steps to enter the 7th dungeon, Eagle’s Tower.
7.2 Eagle’s Tower
– Eagle’s Tower is one of the toughest dungeons in the game, much for the reason that it has so many rooms. If you play through without using a walkthrough, you’ll find yourself backtracking quite often throughout the level. The basic idea is that the second floor of the dungeon has four massive pillars that are holding up the floors above. You will need to use the large ball that we’ll find to knock down these four pillars and access the upper portions of the dungeon.
– From the dungeon entrance, walk to the right a screen. Use the roc’s feather to carefully avoid being hit and then head right another screen. Defeat the two Like-Like’s in this room and a small key will drop from the ceiling. Use the key we just got and head through the locked door. Walk up the steps here to reach the second floor.
– You’ll find a treasure chest on the left side of the room here, but unfortunately the blocks are in your way. If you do have the boomerang, you can toss it diagonally to hit the crystal switch, lowering the blocks and allowing you to reach the treasure chest. This will save you some time, but it is not a necessity to get through the dungeon. Ignore the treasure chest for now and had up a screen.
– You’ll find yourself in a room with an owl statue, a large ball, and a lever along the right side of the room. If you are quick enough you can just run to the door on the left before the blocks close. If not, just ignore the ball for now and just use the power bracelet to pull the lever on the right side of the room. The two blocks will spread apart, so quickly run on over and head left a screen. In this next room just walk over to one of the holes and fall down to get back to the floor below.
– Back on the first floor, defeat all the enemies in the room and then follow the pathway left two screens. Walk down a screen and open the treasure to get the stone beak. Backtrack up a screen and then head to the right three screens.
– Ignore the switch for now and head up a screen to find a new enemy known as an anti-kirby. It basically is just Kirby from the Kirby franchise. Either two bombs or four hits with the boomerang will defeat the Kirby enemy. Talk to the owl statue here and it states, “Jump off the floor above to reach the chest on the table.” We’ll surely be using that advice in just a few moments.
– Walk back down a screen and you’ll find a crystal switch that is surrounded by a bunch of spikes. Hit the crystal switch with your sword or a projectile weapon to change which blocks are lowered. With the blocks flipped, head left a screen, down a screen, then right, down, and up along the right side of the room. Climb up the steps here once again to reach the second floor.
– With the blocks now lowered we can now open the treasure chest to get the dungeon item, the Mirror Shield. This will allow you to deflect fireballs and other stronger attacks from certain enemies. With the dungeon item in hand, let’s fall down the small hole on the right side of the room, just as the owl statue stated.
– You will now be on the higher ledge of the first floor along the right side. Just walk up two screens and open the treasure chest found here to get a small key. Jump off the ledge, head left a screen, and then climb the steps here.
– Toss the two horse heads in this room until they both land on their base, causing a treasure chest to appear. Open it up to get the dungeon map. With the map in hand, let’s head down a screen and right a screen to get back to the room with the large bowling ball.
– You can read the owl statue and it states, “The riddle is solved when the pillars fall!” This is in reference to the four pillars that are found on this current floor. You need to take the large ball that is in this room, use the power bracelet to toss it at each of the pillars, causing them to crumble to the ground. So, grab the ball, toss it by the two blocks on the left side of the room. Then quickly pull the lever in the room, run and grab the ball, and then head left to the next room.
– In this room you will find the first of the four pillars. Get rid of the pesky zols that are in this room and then pick up the large bowling ball. Toss it so that it hits the pillar on the right side, causing it to crumble to the floor. Be sure to hit it from the right side so the ball doesn’t fall down into a hole. If it does, the ball will reset in the previous room. With the first pillar knocked down, grab the ball and head down a screen.
– You’ll find the second pillar right here in this room. Use the ball once again and hit this pillar from the bottom part of the screen. Grab the ball and head back up a screen. Push the block that is on the left and then walk left a screen. Get across the spikes and continue up a screen while holding the ball.
– In this room you’ll find Three-of-a-Kind enemies. Like we did earlier in the game, hit the enemies so that the same suite is shown. If you’ve successfully hit all three so they land with the same suite, a treasure chest will appear. Open it up to get the dungeon’s compass. Carry the bowling ball down a screen through the passage on the left. You’ll find the third pillar, but you cannot reach it from here. Instead, just toss the ball over the barrier and let it rest in this room for awhile. Walk back up a screen and head down the steps.
– Walk left a screen along the top part of the room and you’ll bump into an anti-kirby. Get rid of it and then head down two screens. With the blocks by the staircase lowered, let’s head down the steps. Once you reach the second floor again, head through the one-way door at the top of the screen. Just stand at the bottom-right corner, holding your shield out to block the floor tiles that fly towards you. Defeat the anti-fairy as well, and once the floor tiles are gone, head right through the door that opens up.
– You should now be back in the room where you tossed the bowling ball. Pick it up and toss it at the third pillar in the center of the room. After the pillar crumbles to the ground, push the block at the bottom of the screen into the whole. Pick up the bowling ball and toss it over the gap to the right. Jump over the gap, grab the ball, and head right a screen. Continue down two screens to reach a room with a crystal switch. Toss the ball over the barrier at the bottom of the room.
– After tossing the bowling ball in the crystal switch room, backtrack up two screens, left a screen, up a screen, and down the steps. Back on this floor, we have to head down the same path we did before. Walk left a screen, down two screens, and back up the stairs.
– This time, let’s head down a screen and you’ll find yourself up against a red hinox. It is a bit stronger than the first hinox we fought, and it will now toss bombs towards you. However, this time around we have the boomerang. Hit Hinox four times with the boomerang to defeat him and a small key will drop from the ceiling. Grab the small key and then fall down any of the holes on the far left side of the room.
– You’ll land on the higher ledge on the far left side of the room. From here, walk up three screens and you’ll find a treasure chest. Open it up to get the 26th and final secret seashell! If you’ve already gotten the level two sword, this treasure chest will just contain some rupees. Afterwards, walk back down two screens, jump off the ledge, and head up the staircase.
– Back on this floor, head down a screen to the room where we fought Hinox. Continue right a screen and you’ll find another set of Three-of-a-Kind enemies. Hit all three of them so that they land on the same suit. Successfully doing so will cause a treasure chest to appear in this room. We’ll be utilizing this treasure chest in just a bit. For now, just walk to the right a screen and you’ll find the bowling ball that we tossed earlier. Grab it and head left a screen.
– Back in the room with the Three-of-a-Kind enemies, you’ll find a gap at the top of the room. You cannot just across due to the barriers, but you can toss the bowling ball. Do just that so that the bowling ball is on the ground near the top of the room. Once you’ve done that, let’s head left a screen and up two screens through the one-way door.
– You’ll find yourself in the room with floor tiles once again. Like before, stand in one of the corners with your shield and wait until the floor tiles are all gone. Walk to the right a screen to get back to the room where the third pillar stood. If you look at the south wall, you’ll find two torches at the bottom-left part of the room. Place a bomb to explode open a hole in the wall and then head through.
– Walk to the bottom of the screen and place a second bomb against the wall. Walk down a screen and you’ll be back in the room with the bowling ball. Speak with the owl statue if you’d like and it says, “If you can’t go over the poles, try throwing things you have in your hands.” This hint is in reference to the barriers found in this room. Just a little while ago we tossed the bowling ball over the barrier. Anyway, pull out your hook shot and grapple over to the treasure on the right side of the room. Open it up to get some bombs. Grab the bowling ball and then head up a screen.
– Finally you’ve reached the fourth and final pillar. Toss the bowling ball at the pillar and a cut-scene will take place, showing the outside of Eagle’s Tower falling down a level. With the fourth pillar now fallen, walk down a screen and fall down the gap to get back to the dungeon entrance.
– From the dungeon entrance head right two screens, up a screen on the right side, and then up the steps once again. With the blocks at the bottom of the room lowered, head down a screen. Use the key on the locked block, climb the steps, and head left a screen. Jump off the ledge and hit the crystal switch in the room once so that the blocks on the right side are lowered. We can now head up the steps to reach the third floor.
– You could have actually reached this floor much earlier in the dungeon, but before knocking down the four pillars, there wasn’t too much that you could do. You could do some exploring if you’d like, but we want to head up a screen and right a screen to face off with the dungeon’s mini-boss, the Grim Creeper.
– The Grim Creeper will immediately summon some of his minions in the form of six flying eye creatures. The Grim Creeper will send off the eye creatures in a formation and then one by one, they will fly towards you. What you need to do, is slash and defeat all six of them when they come flying at you. If you miss one of them, then the battle will continue. Each time you miss at least one of them, the Grim Creeper will set them in a different formation. Once you have defeated all six of them, the Grim Creeper will fly off, leaving a warp portal behind. Walk up a screen through the door that opens.
– There are three sparks in this room, as well as a crystal switch. Defeat the three sparks in the room with the boomerang and then hit the crystal switch once. There are also two blocks found in this room. You need to push each block towards the middle of the room. Doing so will cause a treasure chest to appear, so open it to get the nightmare’s key. With the boss key in hand, head down a screen and left two screens.
– Use the nightmares key on the locked door and then head up a screen. Avoid the enemies and continue up another screen. Be careful of the blade traps and the beamos in this room. Avoid the enemies and continue right a screen. In this room, be careful of the beamos and defeat the enemy zol right away. Toss the two horse heads until they land properly, creating a treasure chest on the right side of the room. Open it up to get some secret medicine. Note: You can only hold one secret medicine at a time. From this room, backtrack left a screen and down a screen.
– Climb the steps at the top-left part of the room and then pull out your hook shot. Use it to grapple over to the block on the right side of the room. From here, walk down a screen, right a screen, and head up the staircase.
– You will now be outside near the top of Eagle’s Tower. Once you are ready, climb up the long set of stairs to take on the dungeon boss, the Evil Eagle. Before the battle starts, the Grim Creeper will appear and jump on the back of the Evil Eagle.
– The Evil Eagle has a number of attacks in its arsenal. The obvious attack is if the Eagle simply flies low enough that it actually flies into you. This is its most damaging attack, but can easily be avoided if you just hit the Eagle. The Eagle will occasionally appear at the top-left or top-right part of the screen, wait for a moment, and then dash towards you. This attack can be blocked if you just hold out your level 2 shield. However, if you time a sword slash perfectly, you can harm the evil eagle this way as well.
-The third and final attack by the Evil Eagle is its feather attack. The eagle will appear at the top-left or top-right part of the screen and will start to flap its wings. This will blow Link away, so you have to hold the d-pad in the direction of the Eagle to avoid being blown off the top of the tower. Additionally, the eagle will rapidly blow feathers towards you. You must hold out your shield to deflect these feathers.
– The level 2 sword and the hook shot will your primary ways of attacking the evil eagle. If it flies close to you, just slash away with your sword to hit him. If the Eagle flies overhead, a well timed strike with the hook shot can do harm. Only the Eagle’s head is vulnerable with the hook shot. Alternatively, you could use the bow and arrow, but it does not do as much damage as the hook shot. All together, six shots with the hook shot or the sword will defeat the eagle.
– Once the Evil Eagle has been defeated, a heart will container will drop down. Collect the heart container to raise your overall health to 12 full heart containers. Walk down the ladder and then enter the dungeon. Jump off the ledge to the right and head up a screen. Walk up and collect the seventh Instrument of the Sirens, the Organ of Evening Calm!
|“…OCARINA… The music of the Ocarina leads…”|