- Chapter 1 – Tail Cave
- Chapter 2 – Bottle Grotto
- Chapter 3 – Key Cavern
- Chapter 4 – Anglers Tunnel
- Chapter 5 – Catfish’s Maw
- Chapter 6 – Face Shrine
- Chapter 7 – Eagle’s Tower
- Chapter 8 – Turtle Rock
- Chapter 9 – The Awakening
– With the Bottle Grotto now behind us, we have a few lasting minutes left with our friend BowWow. Unfortunately we are going to need to return him to his home shortly. If you’ve been following along with the walkthrough, you should have more than 200 rupees by now, or at least close to it. If not, there are a few places we can get some rupees, since we’ll need them to buy some goodies at the Mabe Village shop.
– From Bottle Grotto, walk left two screens using BowWow to eat the Gopgongo Flowers. Then walk down a screen and left a screen to get back to the area with a Telephone booth. Use roc’s feather to jump over the gap and head up a screen. Get rid of a few more enemies and enter the cave found on this screen. Using the Power Bracelet, lift up the skull that is in the way and open the treasure chest to get 50 rupees! That’s not it though, walk to the left a screen, jump over the gap, and you’ll find another treasure chest. Open this one to get 20 more rupees! Exit the cave on this side and then head down two screens to get back to the Mysterious Forest.
– From this entrance of the Mysterious Forest, walk right two screens and down a screen to get to an area that has a stone at the top-right corner. Lift the stone and head down the stairs that appear. Walk up the steps and sprinkle some magic powder on the hole and a bat will pop out. This fellow is known as mad batter and he previously made an appearance in the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. It appears like he is casting a bad spell on you, but in reality, he is now allowing you to carry up to 50 units of magic powder! Exit the cave.
– Go down a screen and enter this cave that we’ve been through before. Go up a screen and left a screen and we’ll be back to that area where there was a piece of heart. Now that we have the power bracelet, we can lift up the skull that is blocking the way. Do so and collect piece of heart #5! That’s all that we need to do in this cave, so let’s exit the way we came in.
– Walk left a screen and down a screen to find a treasure chest. Since we have the power bracelet, let’s lift that stone that is in the way and then open the treasure chest to get the second secret seashell. Let’s now go left a screen and down two screens to return to Mabe Village.
– When BowWow is following you around, there are tons of unique things you can do with your chain chomp companion. Bow-Wow can eat that pesky monkey on Toranbo Shores, Bow-Wow will sniff up secrets beneath the ground, and he’ll even have a battle with Kiki the Monkey. Note: None of these are required and they are just fun little additions for you to discover.
– After you’ve had your fun, return to Madam MeowMeow’s house, located one screen left of Marin’s House. Enter the building on the left and speak to the woman. She’ll be delighted that you brought back her precious BowWow and in exchange… she will give you a kiss… Great!
– Our next destination is at the shop in Mabe Village, located one screen up, and one screen right of Marin’s House. Enter it and you’ll find the Deluxe Shovel is for sale. You should have more than enough rupees so let’s buy the Deluxe Shovel. Additionally, if you haven’t picked up any bombs yet, let’s purchase 10 of them for 10 rupees. If you leave the shop and re-enter it now, you’ll see that the bow is now for sale for an insane amount of 980 rupees! We aren’t going to purchase that one for awhile, but we’ll be back. However, if you really want to get the bow right now… you can actually steal it from the shop! Pick it up, and stand just above the shop-keeper. Then quickly move on a diagonal path, leaving the shop before he can see you. However, if you go back into the shop after you’ve stolen something, the shop-keeper will zap you with an electric shock, killing you instantly. Additionally, from this point forward, whatever your name was on your save file, it will be replaced by the word THIEF.
– Anyway, with the shovel and bombs on hand, there are a few more secret seashells that we can now get. The first of which is located back at Madam MeowMeow’s house. Enter the small doghouse on the right side and then use your shovel to dig up at the bottom-right of the screen. A secret seashell will pop put, so grab it to get secret seashell #3!
– Our next destination is back at Tail Cave… Yes, actually within the dungeon. Let’s make our way all the way over to the Tail Cave and enter the dungeon. From the entrance go up a screen, left a screen, and up a screen. There is a wall on the left side where you can explode a bomb. Since you likely didn’t have any bombs the first time you came across Tail Cave, you couldn’t access this room. Now that we can, we’ll find a treasure chest containing secret seashell #4! There is nothing else to do here, so let’s exit the Tail Cave.
– Backtrack to the shop in Mabe Village and then head right a screen. Lift the stones with the power bracelet and head up a screen where you will find a cave. Maneuver around the room, defeating the Zols and pushing the blocks. Open the treasure chest in here to get 50 more rupees and then exit the cave.
– Walk to the right a screen, lift the rock, and then head up two screens. You’ll actually be back at the screen with the Witch’s Hut. From here head left a screen, lift the stone, and then head down a screen. Beware of the zombies that come from underground in this area. There is a lone bush in the center of the screen. Cut it down and then use the shovel to collect secret seashell #5. With the seashell in hand, head back up a screen and right a screen to reach the Witch’s Hut once again.
– From the Witch’s Hut, lift the stone and head up a screen. Lift some more rocks and head up another screen where you will find a small house. Enter it and speak to the woman here known as Crazy Tracy. She tells you that she has a secret for you and if you speak to her again, she’ll try to sell you this secret for some rupees. Agree to give her the money and she’ll give you the Secret Medicine! This basically acts just like a fairy did in A Link to the Past. If you have the secret medicine, but lose all of your hearts, you will automatically use the medicine and it will revive you in the process. At any point if you return to Crazy Tracy’s house after using the medicine, she will sell you some more for 68 rupees.
– From Crazy Tracy’s House, let’s head right a screen, up a screen, and right a screen to get to the Camera Shop. (Note: The Camera Shop is ONLY available in the DX version of Link’s Awakening. Also, the Photograph side quest is completely optional and has no actual rewards for completing it. When the DX version of Link’s Awakening was released, the Game Boy Camera had also been released, allowing you to print photos from your Game Boy. Link’s Awakening was one of the few games that took advantage of this feature.)
– Speak to the camera man and there are two potential outcomes here. If you agree to take a picture, Link will pose against the backdrop with a smile and his fingers giving off the peace sign. This photograph is called ‘Here Stands A Brave Man’. However, if you keep saying no, the mouse will keep pushing you back and back towards the backdrop. Eventually the mouse shoves you against the back drop and takes a picture of Link on the ground and stunned. This photograph is called ‘Game Over’. You can view your photo in the photo album found within the room. (Note: There are 13 photographs in total, but since you can only get one or the other for these first two, your photo album only shows 12 of them. You can check out all of them at our Link’s Awakening Photographs page.)
– There are a few other photographs that we can immediately take at this point in the quest. If you head back to Mabe Village and walk up to BowWow, the photographer will snap a photo which he will call ‘Link Play’s With BowWow’. Additionally, if you head down one screen from BowWow you’ll be at Ulrira’s House. Peak through the window on the right side of the door and the photographer will appear once again. He’ll snap a photo calling this one ‘Link Discovers Ulrira’s Secret’. The last photograph that we can now get is located at the Mabe Village shop but it requires you to steal an item. If you steal an item from the shop, the photographer will snap a photograph of you doing so, however you won’t see him do it. This photograph is called ‘Are you proud of yourself?’. You can see the photograph once you return to the Camera Shop and view your photo album. NOTE: If you return to the shop once again, the owner will zap you with a lightening bolt, causing you to lose a life, while also renaming your character to THIEF. If you really want to get this photograph, steal an item but never return to the store again, so you don’t have to pay the consequences.
2.2 Kanalet Castle
|~ Richard’s Villa ~|
– We are now ready to explore the Ukuku Prarie, the area just east of Mabe Village. From the shop in Mabe Village, walk to the right two screens and you’ll find a strange looking portal. This portal serves as a warp portal allowing you to quickly travel to various parts of Koholint Island. There are four portals in total, but you first need to activate them before you can use them. Climb the steps and fall into the portal to activate it, but since it is the only portal activated, it won’t do anything yet.
– From the warp portal, walk down two screens and you’ll find the location of the third dungeon, Key Cavern. However, we don’t have the key to open the dungeon and it will be quite awhile before we can enter it. Instead just walk down a screen, right, down, and enter the building found here.
– There are a bunch of Frogs hopping around this house and the man found here goes by the name of Richard. Speak to him and he’ll talk about how he once lived in the Castle, but because his servants went berserk, he was forced to flee. He mentions the Ukuku Prairie Key and states that in order to get it, you have to recover the five golden leaves from the castle. He also mentions that you need a shovel, so if you haven’t purchased one in the Mabe Village shop yet, do so now.
|~ Kanalet Castle ~|
– From Richard’s house walk right a screen, up three screens, right a screen, up two screens, right, and up once more to reach the entrance of Kanalet Castle. If you walk up to the locked gate the photographer will appear to snap a photograph of you. Additionally, you’ll be joined by Richard for the shot. This photograph is called ‘I’ve just decided to wait at home’.
– The front gate to Kanalet Castle is locked, so you’ll have to find another way in. Walk to the right two screens and you’ll find Kiki the monkey. If you’ve been following along with the Trading Sequence, we got the Bananas from Sale back in Chapter 1. Speak with Kiki and give him the bananas. In exchange, he’ll summon his monkey friends who will create a bridge allowing you to cross. Once their construction is over with, a stick will be left on top of the bridge. This stick marks the 5th item in the Link’s Awakening Trading Sequence. Grab the stick and head up a screen.
– Walk up two screens and left a screen where you fill find a lone bush in this area. Slash at it with your sword to reveal a hidden staircase and then head down. Use Roc’s Feather in this side-scrolling sequence to get rid of the goombas that are in your way. Progress to the next room and then climb the stairs. Once you resurface you will now be in the castle grounds of Kanalet Castle.
– Walk left a screen and you’ll find a darknut. Deliver a few sword slashes to defeat it and then head down a screen. There is a sworded darknut on this screen and it will charge you once you have been spotted. Defeat it just like we defeated the sworded moblin before. You’ll also notice there is a crow perched on top of the nearby tree. The crow will not move at all unless you pick up one of the nearby stones and toss it at the crow. It will then get off the tree and fly towards you. You need to quickly charge up a spin attack to hit the crow. Alternatively, you can pick up the second stone and toss it at the crow to defeat it. Once defeated, it will give you the first of the five Golden Leaves that we are trying to collect for Richard. Progress down a screen and right a screen to reach the Castle entrance.
– Before entering the Castle, walk right a screen and up a screen where you’ll encounter mad bomber. This guy will peak his head out from underground and toss a bomb at you. Once you see which hole he is going to pop out from, jump on over and deliver a sword slash while also avoiding the bombs that he throws. After four hits, mad bomber will be defeated and you’ll be rewarded with the second Golden Leaf! Backtrack down a screen, left a screen, and then enter Kanalet Castle.
– Walk to the left a screen where you will find a pair of darknuts and a zol. Defeat these enemies and the third golden leaf will come falling from the ceiling. There is also an anti-fairy floating around this room and it can be defeated by sprinkling some magic powder. These anti-fairies will always give off a fairy as a reward for defeating them.
– Go up and right a screen, defeating the darknuts if you’d like. Step on the switch found here and you will hear a loud noise. This is the Kanalet Castle front gate opening up, making it easy to enter and exit the castle from now on. Walk left a screen and then up the steps to get to the second floor.
– There are two mad bomber symbols on the wall in this room. You can place a bomb against each to blow open a hole and a sworded darknut will come out of both of them. Defeat the darknut on the left side of the room and you will be rewarded with the 4th golden leaf. Walk right a screen, down a screen, left a screen, and exit the Castle.
– You’ll now be outside, but there isn’t much to do so just enter the other door found here. The door straight ahead will close and there are no switches to open it. Instead, you need to lift up one of the pots in the room and toss it at the door to open it up. Go inside to take on the ball and chain trooper.
– The ball and chain trooper will spin his ball and chain around before tossing it towards you. Once he misses, immediately rush in and deliver a sword slash. Just keep moving in and out, avoiding the ball and chain. After you’ve hit him 8 times, he will be defeated, leaving behind the 5th and final golden leaf! With all five leaves now on hand, let’s backtrack through the entire Castle and get back outside the original entrance. Now that the gate to the castle is open, we have quick access in or out of the castle.
2.3 Secret Seashell Collection
|~ Seashell Collection ~|
– While we have all five golden leaves, there are plenty of optional things we can do before returning to Richard’s Villa. If you’d like to skip these optional quests, jump ahead to the finding Slime Key section below. The first step is to visit the Seashell Shrine. From Kanalet Castle, head down three screens, right a screen, and up a screen. Enter the building and walk to the right. Since we have exactly 5 secret seahells, we will be rewarded with the 6th secret seashell! You can only get this particular seashell if you have exactly 5 of them, so if you are still missing some, but sure to return here once you have five.
– Exit the seashell mansion and walk one screen to the right. Cut down the bushes found here and you’ll discover secret seashell #7.
– Go back left, down, left, and down a screen to reach an area with a number of pig moblins. Continue down one more screen and get rid of the pig moblins found here. There is a lone stone in this area and if you lift it up you’ll discover secret seashell #8.
– Go left along the bottom portion of the screen and enter the cave here. Watch out for the beetles that are hidden underneath the skull in this room. Defeat or avoid them and then go left a screen. Get rid of the enemies and then pull out your bombs. Toss a bomb against the wall at the far left of the screen and this will create a secret passage. Go through, jump over the gap, and head up the stairs.
– Walk to the left a screen and push the block into the hole. Jump over and continue left another screen. Maneuver yourself through the blocks and head back right a screen. Push the third block from the bottom to the right, and then push the adjacent block up to clear a path. Exit the cave.
– Walk up a screen and you’ll bump into two winged octoroks. These guys will jump whenever you try to swing at them with your sword. Use roc’s feather and your sword to defeat them, or slash them right when they land after their jump. You can talk to the owl statue that is here and it states, “AROUND HERE, SECRETS ARE NIGH”. Hmm… Well, let’s pull out our shovel and dig just below and to the left of the owl statue to discover secret seashell #9!
– Go down a screen and reenter the cave that we just came through. Go right a screen, climb the steps, and jump down to reach the staircase. Continue back right a screen and this time head down to exit the cave.
– Walk down two screens to reach a telephone booth and then walk right a screen. There is a lone bush in the area, so let’s slash it down to reveal Secret Seashell #10!
– Now that we have 10 secret seashells we want to head all the way back to the seashell mansion to get our next secret seashell. Start by backtracking through the cave we just came through. Once you get back outside head right a screen, up two screens, right a screen, and up a screen to reach the seashell mansion. Walk inside to collect Secret Seashell #11! You can talk to the trees in front of the seashell mansion and they’ll tell you a secret about a bomb-able wall.
|~ Finding the Slime Key ~|
– We are now ready to head back to meet up with Richard. From the seashell mansion go down a screen, left a screen, up, left, down two screens, left, down three screens, and left a screen to reach the house. Enter the building and speak to Richard. He will allow you to pass so move the block and head down the stairs in his house.
Go up along the left side of the room and then push the block into the hole. Jump over the gap and open the treasure chest here to get Secret Seashell #12! Go back through this cave and head up the staircase at the top-right of the room. Walk to the left a screen and exit the cave.
Welcome to Pothole Field. There are a few pathways that you can go through, but only one to reach your proper destination. You will have to cut down the bushes in this field in order to navigate through the next few screens. From the cave cut one bush down, three bushes to the right, and then head down a screen. On this screen cut three bushes down, two bushes to the right, and head right a screen. Now cut one bush to the right, one bush down, four bushes to the right, one bush up, one bush right, two bushes up, and then head up to the next screen. Cut four bushes up, five bushes left, one bush up, and then head left a screen.
|“IN SOIL SLEEPS SECRETS, BENEATH YOUR SOLES…”|
– Cut the bush on this screen and listen to what the owl statue has to say. “IN SOIL SLEEPS SECRETS, BENEATH YOUR SOLES.” Well, let’s listen to this advice and pull out our shovel and start digging. Just below the owl statue, use your shovel and you’ll dig up the Slime Key! This key will allow us to open up the gate in Ukuku Prairie, allowing us to reach the next dungeon, Key Cavern. Backtrack through the Pothole Field the same way we came through and make your way back to Richard.
|~ Key Cavern Entrance ~|
– From the outside of Richard’s house, go up one screen, left a screen, and up a screen. Use the Slime Key that we just got on the lock and this will cause the gate to the dungeon to open up. However, we cannot reach the entrance from here.
– Go back down a screen, right a screen, and down one screen to get to Richard’s Villa. Then walk right a screen, up three screens, down along the left side of the screen, and jump over the water with Roc’s Feather. Before we enter the dungeon we want to go up a screen and left a screen where we will find some more winged octoroks. Defeat them and then use your shovel on the soil spot between the four pieces of grass to dig up Secret Seashell #13!
– We’ve done just about all we can do, so with that in mind, head right a screen, down a screen, left a screen, and then enter the 3rd dungeon of the game, Key Cavern.
2.4 Key Cavern
|~ Stone Beak and Dungeon Map ~|
– Key Cavern gets its name since there are tons of keys found throughout the dungeon. In fact, there is one too many keys as you can complete the dungeon, reaching every single room, but you’ll still have one remaining key. It’s a relatively easy dungeon, but can be troublesome if you miss a key.
– From the start of the dungeon the door at the top of the screen will shut close. Lift up one of the nearby pots and toss it at the door to open it up. Go through the door and you’ll find a shrouded stalfos, a gel, and a new enemy known as a bombite. Once you strike a red bombite with your sword it will bounce wildly against the walls before exploding. A second sword slash at anytime will cause it to explode. Once all the enemies in the room have been defeated, open the treasure chest to get the first small key and then head up a screen along the right side of the room.
– Defeat the four green Zol in this room and the doors will unlock. You could open up the treasure chest, but it is a fake one, as all you’ll find inside is another green Zol. The screen to the right holds the dungeon map, but we cannot get it just yet because of the position of the blocks, so instead, just head up a screen. Defeat or ignore the stalfos here and continue up another screen. Get rid of the Zol if you’d like, and then head down the stairs to reach the floor below.
– Get rid of the four zols and gel that appear right near the staircase. This room has four locked doors but we only have one key. The ‘correct’ path is to head right a screen to progress further in the dungeon. However, there are various goodies in all three of the other locations and if we go there, we’ll get a key allowing us to use it on another door within this room. Start off by heading up through the locked door and defeat the stalfos. Collect the small key that falls down, hit the crystal switch to change the orientation of the blocks in the dungeon, and then head back down a screen.
– Go back up the steps and since we changed the colored blocks, you can now access the treasure chest here. Open it up to get the dungeon’s Stone Beak!(NOTE: If you are playing the original, this chest will contain 50 rupees) Additionally, we can now get the dungeon map in that room we passed up earlier, so head down two screens and right a screen. Maneuver around the room and open the treasure chest to get the dungeon map!(NOTE: If playing the original, this chest will contain 200 rupees) Backtrack a few screens to get to the floor below that had the many locked doors.
– Go back up a screen and now that we have the stone beak, we can talk to the owl statue here. Speak to it and it gives the advice of… “Far away… Do not fear, dash and fly!” We will be using this advice at a later point in the dungeon.
– Go back down a screen and you still have three options. The room on the left side is almost completely useless as you’ll just fight some new enemies in the form of pairodds. These bird-like creatures will disappear when you get near and reappear at another portion of the room. Once both pairodds as well the zols have been defeated, a small key will drop. The only purpose in going in this direction is that there is a floating heart which you can grab to restore some of your life. Afterwards head back right a screen.
– With two remaining options, let’s head through the locked door at the bottom of the screen where you’ll find another flock of enemies. Once all of them have been defeated, another small key will drop. The only reason in going in this direction is that if you lift the pots in the center of the room, you’ll find some bombs, which we will need in just a bit. Go back up a screen and then head in the final direction by going right a screen.
|~ Mini-Boss: Dodongo Snakes ~|
– Avoid the keese and the pairodd in this room and then head up the steps. There are five green zols hidden within this room. Walk around the room so that they reveal themselves. Once all five zols have been defeated, a small key will drop down, so grab it and then head up a screen.
– Defeat the enemies and then lift the pot at the bottom-right of this room to find some more bombs. Walk to the left a screen and get rid of the zol and gels found here to open the door. Go left another screen and get rid of some more zols and pairodds to cause another small key to appear. Grab it and then head up through the one-way door.
– Defeat the red zol and stalfos here to cause a treasure chest to appear on the higher ledge of the room. We’ll get to that in just a bit, but for now just go up through the one-way door. Get rid of the two red bombites and the shrouded stalfos in this room. You can lift the pots and jump to get the floating bombs, as we’ll need them in just a moment. Speak with the owl statue and it gives the advice of, “To defeat the black monster with the hard shell, feed him something explosive.” (NOTE: If you are playing the original, the owl statue won’t exist) With that in the back of our mind, let’s climb the steps and head right a screen.
– You can see a cracked wall in this room and if you continue to the right a screen, there is no crack on that side. Keep that in mind as we’ll need to blow-up the wall here to reach this treasure chest. Backtrack to the left and then head down a screen. Open the treasure chest that we discovered here earlier to get 50 rupees and then head down a screen. (NOTE: If you are playing the original, this chest will contain the Dungeon Map) Continue right a screen, push the block, and once again get rid of the zol and gels found here. Once you are ready, head up a screen to take on the dungeon mini-boss, the Dodongo Snakes.
– The Dodongo Snakes are the black monsters that the owl statue was speaking of, and the owl’s advice was to use something explosive. Pull out your bombs and chase the dodongo snakes around. You can walk up and just drop a bomb in the dondogo’s mouth. Alternatively, you can keep your distance and try to plant a bomb in front of the dodongo so that it will crawl over to it and gobble it up. Perhaps the easiest way is to drop a bomb, pick it up, and toss it in the direction of a dodongo, and if you time it nicely, the dodongo will gobble it up immediately.
– If you are having trouble hitting the dodongos with the bombs here is a tip to conserve your explosives. If you drop or throw a bomb towards the dodongo but they don’t gobble it up, quickly run over to it and lift it up. Each time you lift up a bomb it resets its detonation time, which means you can have multiple chances at hitting the dodongo with a single bomb. Once each of the dodongo snakes have gobbled up three bombs, they will be defeated and a warp portal will appear in the center of the room. Collect the fairy that is left behind and then head right a screen.
|~ The Pegasus Boots ~|
– Push the bottom block to the left and then the adjacent block up to reach the treasure chest. Open it up to get the dungeon item, the Pegasus boots. These boots will allow you to dash quickly. When used with the sword, your attack will do double the damage. Also, as an owl statue earlier in the dungeon pointed out, you can use the Pegasus boots and roc’s feather to dash and jump a longer distance. Lastly, the Pegasus boots will allow you to dash through certain types of blocks, including the black and green ones on this screen. Do just that and push the block to the right to clear a path. Walk down, left, and up a screen to get back to the room with the dodongo snakes.
– Go through the warp portal to reach the dungeon entrance and then head right a screen. Use the Pegasus boots to dash quickly across the screen and hit the vacuum found here. With the vacuum out of the way, open the treasure chest here to get yet another small key.
– Go back left a screen, pick up a pot, and toss it against the closed door to open it up. Go up a screen and this time take the left path as you go up another screen. Use the Pegasus boots to dash through the blocks and head up one more screen. There is a lone gel on this side of the screen, so defeat it with your sword. We needed to defeat all the enemies on this screen in order for a treasure chest to appear, but we couldn’t reach this gel earlier. Now that we have, go back down two screens, and then back up two screens along the right side. Defeat the stalfos and a treasure chest will appear. Open it up to get a massive 200 rupees! (NOTE: If you are playing the original, this chest will contain a Stone Slab) Backtrack down three screens and go through the portal once again.
|~ The Nightmare’s Key ~|
– From the room where you fought the Dodongo Snakes, go down a screen, right, up, and right a screen. Defeat the enemies and then speak to the owl statue here.(NOTE: If playing the original, this statue won’t exist) It gives you a hint to poke against walls to see if it makes a mysterious sound. With that in mind, if you look at the floor layout of this room, you’ll see a giant arrow pointing against the wall. Place a bomb to create a whole leading to the room below.
You can bomb the wall on the left if you’d like to give yourself some more running space. Equip the Pegasus boots and roc’s feather at the same time. Just like the owl statue had said earlier in the dungeon, we need to dash with Pegasus boots and then fly with roc’s feather. Use the two items in combination to run and jump over the large gap in this room. On the right side, climb the steps and head up a screen. Jump over another gap here and then open the treasure chest to get the Nightmare’s Key! Jump off the ledge and walk up a screen.
|~ Compass ~|
– The doors will shut and there are green bombites found in this room. Once you hit these bomb fellows, a timer will start and after three seconds the bombite will explode. Just wait until they are at one second and then slash them again with your sword to knock them away from you so you aren’t harmed from the explosion. Once all the enemies have been defeated head left through the door that opens up.
– Defeat the enemies and open up the treasure chest here to get the compass. It is actually quite useless at this stage in the dungeon since we’ve already gotten every single treasure chest. However, there is still one small key we need to get. If you recall, we were in this room earlier but on the higher ledge at the bottom part of the screen. There is a bombable wall along the left side of the screen but it isn’t marked on the wall. Charge your sword and then poke against the wall. When you here a strange sound coming from the wall, you know you can place a bomb. Do just that and head left a screen.
– You are greeted here by some red bombites, so get rid of them with a sword slash. Once all the enemies are gone a small key will drop from the ceiling, so let’s go and grab it. With the key in hand, let’s backtrack right two screens and go through the room with the green bombites once again. From here let’s walk down a screen, left a screen, down a screen, and left once more to reach the area just south of the mini-boss room.
– If you’ve been following along, you should have four small keys at the moment. Use the first one on the locked block here and then head up a screen. Follow along this path and use three more of your small keys until you’ve reached the staircase.
– In this underground area, you’ll find a red thwomp blocking your way. It won’t budge at all if you try to push it so instead, use the Pegasus boots to dash into it, causing it to drop to the ground. Drop down along with it and head right a screen. You’ll have to use a combination of the Pegasus boots and roc’s feather here to make it across this large gap. Dash-jump across and then get rid of the piranha plant blocking your way. Climb down the steps to resurface at another part of the level.
– There are three pairodds found in this room, as well as a floating heart. Luckily now that we have the Pegasus boots, these pesky fellows are easy to defeat. Just dash right at them and they won’t have time warp to another part of the room. Be sure to grab the recovery heart that is in the center of the room and then go left a screen.
– There are five keese found in this room and you’ll also see that the ground has an assortment of moving platforms. Maneuver around the room defeating the keese and a small key will drop from the ceiling. This key is completely useless to us at this point in the level and its only purpose in being placed here has to do with that room with four locked doors that we saw earlier in the dungeon. Back in that room if you had gone through the locked door on the right prior to going any of the other directions, you would never be able to reach the other rooms. With this extra key you can now reach those… but those rooms were fairly useless anyway. Nevertheless, let’s use the Nightmare’s Key and head up a screen to take on the dungeon boss, Slime Eyes.
– Once you enter the boss room, Slime Eyes will taunt you saying that you cannot find him. Green Zol will start falling from the ceiling and will just continuously fall if you wait around. Equip the Pegasus boots and dash against one of the walls causing Slime Eyes to fall to the surface.
– Once Slime Eyes falls to the ground you’ll see its giant blob with its large central eye. You can slash at the eye and it will slowly start to separate into two smaller eyes. However, even if you just keep slashing away, you won’t be able to fully separate the eyes. Once they are almost separated, use the Pegasus boots to ram right through the middle, separating the blob into two smaller eyes.
– The eyes will now hop around the room trying to harm Link. Equip roc’s feather along with your sword and slash at one of the eyes. Once you hit an eye it will jump back up to the ceiling and then try to land on top of you. Furthermore once it hits the ground you will be temporarily stunned. After you’ve hit one of the eyes, be sure to use roc’s feather to jump just before the eye pounds the ground. Repeat this same process until you’ve hit each of the eyes four times.
– Once Slime Eyes has been defeated, grab the full heart container increasing your overall health to seven heart containers. Walk up a screen and collect the third of the eight Instruments of the Sirens… the Sea Lily’s Bell.
|“…WATERFALL… It is hidden in the waterfall…”|