We’re celebrating our Zelda wiki‘s third birthday today by holding a fun little scavenger hunt, and you’re invited! In honor of the recent release of Hyrule Warriors, we’ll be working together to collect Gold Skulltulas while improving our Hyrule Warriors coverage.. The event will last through the 31st, so you can also think of it as getting in the mood for Halloween. Continue reading for more details.
There are 100 Gold Skulltulas hidden among the 4500+ articles that make up the wiki–but don’t worry, most of them are hanging out around the Hyrule Warriors-related content, and I’ll be updating this post periodically throughout the event with more hints. As Skulltulas are found, they’ll appear on the Hunt page along with who found them and where. This is a community effort; the goal is to have 100 different contributors find all 100 Skulltulas by the October 31st deadline. But don’t stop once you find one! If you continue to contribute to other pages, you might reveal the locations of other Skulltulas for others to find.
How to Contribute:
- First, you’ll need to create an account on the wiki if you don’t already have one.
- Find Gold Skulltulas by editing pages. You must make meaningful contributions. We’ll be disqualifying people who flood lots of minor changes just to find Skulltulas quickly. (For the purposes of this event, a “meaningful contribution” is roughly more than one added sentence, more than one added image, or an extensive revision. It’s up to our patrollers to interpret this guideline; it’s not an exact or prescriptive measurement.)
- Upon submitting an edit to an article hiding a Gold Skulltula, a notice will appear above the article’s title saying you found it. Similar notices will also appear above articles found by others, so make sure you see your own name there, or else someone may have beaten you to it.
- Use the Hunt page to see what articles Gold Skulltulas are being found in, and to check that your name appears when you find one.
What’s an event without prizes?
To thank you for your help during this celebration, we’ll be handing out prizes once it’s over in the form of awards on the Dungeon Gaming Forum! While this is not required in order to participate in the event, you’ll need to do a few things to receive your reward:
- Sign up on the forum if you don’t already have an account. This is separate from the wiki.
- On the wiki, go to your preferences and enter your forum username.
- Confirm your account linkage by entering your ZD Wiki username into your forum profile.
Awards will be distributed shortly after the 31st. If you continue to contribute to the wiki after the event is over, you may become eligible for a userbadge on the forum recognizing general contributions.
- Remember to check this post every day for new hints.
- A good place to start is the Hyrule Warriors article. Many of the links on that page are hiding Gold Skulltulas.
- Of the Hyrule Warriors pages, the category with the third most Skulltulas is characters. Second is weapons. Third is… well, what collectibles are there a lot of in this game? (besides Gold Skulltulas and Heart Containers/Pieces)
- There are 70 Skulltulas on Hyrule Warriors-related pages, and 30 on stub articles.
- The Hunt page lists articles in alphabetical order.
If you have any questions about the event or about the wiki in general, please post them in the comments.