Cane of Byrna
"You got the Cane Of Byrna! If you swing it once, a ring of light will protect you!"
|日本語||バイラの杖 (Cane of Baira)|
|Française||Canne de Byrna (Cane of Byrna)|
|Español||Vara de Byrna (Rod of Byrna)|
|Deutsch|| Byrna-Stab (Byrna Staff)|
Byrna Stab (Byrna Staff)
|Italiana||Bastone di Byrna (Cane of Byrna)|
At the beginning of the cave are Moles which Link must use the Magic Hammer to pound them to the ground and gain access to the rest of the cavern. While he can go through the rest of the cave without the aid of magical items, spikes cover most of the floor and do damage to Link if he walks on them, so Link needs to have a lot of hearts and healing items like Red Potions to go through the cave. However, the best way for Link to get through the cavern is to use the Magic Cape to turn invisible before walking on the Floor Spikes. Once at the end of the passageway, there is a large stone that Link must lift with the Power Glove to access a treasure chest containg the Cane of Byrna.
If Link used the Magic Cape, his magic is most likely drained from its usage when he gets the cane. As a result, it is recommended to bring a Green Potion, so he can use the Cane of Byrna to get out of the cave. However, in the Game Boy Advance version of A Link to the Past, Link's magic meter is restored once he obtains the Cane of Byrna, so it is unnecessary for him to bring a Green Potion in this version.
When Link swings the Cane of Byrna, it summons a ring of light that encircles him as long as he has enough magic left in his Magic Meter that is drained according to the length of the cane's use. Similarly to the Magic Cape, enemies cannot do any damage to Link when the Cane of Byrna is equipped. However, the cane does not allow him to move through enemies like Bumpers, and he is not hidden from enemies' view. So, he is still detectable by them. While the barrier from the Cane of Byrna protects Link, it does damage to enemies when they come into contact, equaling the damage the Fighter's Sword does. Unlike the Magic Cape, the Cane of Byrna protects Link even if he is swimming. Also, he cannot use Spin Attacks or Sword Beams while the cane is active. Once Link has entered another room, the Cane of Byrna automatically deactivates.
- ↑ "The cave built into the cliff of western Death Mountain was only accessible to those who leapt off of the ledge above it." — A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 101
- ↑ "After warping to the Dark World at the top of Death Mountain, Link walked down to the edge of the cliff and off the side." — A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 136
- ↑ "The Moles stay in their holes, but Link had to bop them with the Hammer to get by." — A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 136
- ↑ "Inside, the floor of the cave was covered with spikes." — A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 101
- ↑ "Luckily, Link had extra Life Potion to keep him going while crossing the spikes." — A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 136
- ↑ "From the ledge, he went into a cave, pounded some Moles, then sprinted over the path of spikes to the Chest with the Staff of Byrna." — A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 101
- ↑ "If adventurers dared to brave this dangerous trap, they would be rewarded with the Cane of Byrna, an artifact which protected magic users from the spikes." — A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 101
- ↑ "Staff of Byrna
The beam from this staff surrounds and protects you from all damage. Press the Y Button again to deactivate the wand. Note that this item consumes Magical Power in proportion to how long it is used." — A Link to the Past Manual, pg. 41
- ↑ "When activated, the Cane of Byrna emits a protective barrier which encircles Link for as long as he has Magic Power." — A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 150
- ↑ "Link will feel extremely safe when the power of the Cane of Byrna is encircling him. It's great to have extra protection." — A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 150
- ↑ "The Staff of Byrna was said to contain powers of protection, but it drained Magic Power according to the length of its use, like the Magic Cape." — A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide, pg. 136
- ↑ "For the best protection around, use the magical Cane of Byrna. You can even protect yourself from enemies while swimming!" — Nintendo Power Issue 034, pg. 85