|2.1 Isle of Ember|
New Enemies: Octorok, Tektite, Yellow ChuChu
- Upon docking at the Isle of Ember, Linebeck, being the coward that he
is, sets Link and Ciela off to find Astrid the fortune-teller, while he stays
behind to watch his precious ship. The hut right by the shore is empty and there
isnít much in this area at all. Just follow the stone pathway until you get to
the stone statue. Read it and it tells youíre the fortune-teller is just north.
Climb up the steps and enter the fortune-tellers house.
- Wait a second, where is Astrid? She is nowhere to be found so head down the
stairs. Once you move away from the stairs here, the stairs will shut and the
room will fill with octoroks.
- A little stronger than some of the enemies you have
faced thus far, these squid-like foes take two swipes of the
sword to put down.
- Watch out, because they shoot rocks towards you. Use the Wooden Shield
to block their projectiles and go for the kill!
- Octoroks are stronger than the enemies we have faced yet. The
wooden shield can easily block the rocks if Link is facing the octorok. Once all
of them have been defeated, the passage to the stairwell will reopen.
- Examine the sign at the northeast part of the room and Ciela will say she feels
a presence on the other side of the room. She will then hear footsteps, as the
camera angle will show somebody on the other side. Ciela will tell Link to call
out. At this point, just saying something or just blow into the microphone on
your DS. It is exactly who we are looking for, Astrid! She asks if the monsters
are gone and then says she cannot open the door for you. She says that the map
next to the door holds the secret but only her assistant Kayo know how to.
Clicking the map once again, it tells you the mark the locations of the three
torches. Off to search for torches, exit the house.
- Back outside, follow the stone path once again to the house to the right. Enter
it and you will find that it contains one of the three torches. Be sure to mark
the torch on the map. Tap the diary on the table and it is from Kayo. It has
some grim words in it, giving the idea that something bad might have happened to
Kayo. It gives you the hint to look east. Exit the house and head east over the
- Defeat some red octoroks and you will come to a door that is surrounded by
electricity. Read the statue and it states that this is the summit path, but you
need approval to enter. Continue right across another bridge and you will run
into some more classic Zelda enemies, Tektites.
- These spindly spiders jump around the area quickly and
to random locations. Because of their lack of logic, they can be
challenging to hunt down, especially because they take two hits
- They often travel in groups, so while regular sword swipes are
effective, a Spin Attack may be a better choice most of the
- Continue along the coast and start heading up a bit. There are some steps here
and a skull body. Ciela points it out as a fallen adventurer. Climb up the steps
and a ghost will appear from the bones. Ciela is scared of the ghost and tells
Link to attack, but the ghost says he is not a bad ghost.
He reveals himself as
Astridís assistant, Kayo. After hearing that Astrid is locked up, he repeats
what we already know, saying the three torches are the secret to opening the
door. He then points out a torch that is right behind him on a tiny island, be
sure to make note of it on the map.
- Travel north and west and you will see a tree here. You can roll into it and a
few hearts will come out. Follow the path and you will face off with a few
tektites and those annoying crows. There is also a new enemy found here, a
- Unlike their red counter-part, this yellow variety has
the ability to jump towards you. Another advantage they have is
the ability to become electrically charged, which will damage
- Wait until their charge wears off and keep your distance, then defeat
them quickly with a quick strike.
- Continue westward and fight off another yellow chuchu before finding the third
and final torch. Be sure to mark this third torch on the map. Before heading
back right, roll into the tree here and a red rupee will pop out. Grab it for an
easy 20 rupees. Make your way back around the island but rather than crossing
the first bridge, head up the small stone steps. There is a stone statue in the
bottom-right corner here. Tap at it for a clue on how to open the summit door.
The statue says that you need what the fortune-teller has to offer. I think itís
time we go free Astrid. Backtrack over the bridges to Astridís hut.
- Immediately head downstairs and tap the map next to the door. The map appears so
mark the locations of the three torches. If you forgot and didnít mark them on
your map, one is in Kayoís hut just south and east of Astridís hut. Another is
on the mini piece of land at the far east of the island. The third one is near
the north end of the island just east of the lone land area. The door will open
up and Astrid will walk forward. After thanking you, Astrid asks for your name
and what brought you to the island.
- After some more chit chatting, she will ask
if she should tell your fortune. Answer yes and she says to meet here upstairs.
After a short scene, ck will appear in the hut as well as Astrid and the
fortune telling begins. She rubs her crystal ball and says Link must clash with
darkness to save Tetra. Astrid tells Link that the Temple of Fire is his first
destination. Immediately after hearing this, Linebeck will bolt towards his ship
to polish it up. Exit the hut and on towards the Temple of Fire!
- Head right across the bridge to the Summit door and you will find it is no
longer surrounded by electricity. Ciela will yell out that you can reach the
Temple of Fire through there, so donít hesitate, head through the door. Scale
the mountain fighting off yellow chuchuís and tektites. Ciela will point out
that the volcano is erupting. Continue circulating the mountain as you climb
upwards. You will come to the entrance but Ciela points out that it is sealed.
For now just continue passed it to get to a treasure chest that holds a red
rupee. Continue around the mountain.
- You will come to a stone statue. Tap it and it tells you to blow out the flames
to illuminate the path ahead. Jump off the cliff one level down and head back to
the sealed entrance. Face one of the torches and blow into the mic portion of
the Nintendo DS to blow the flame. Blow out both flames and the door will open
revealing the entrance to the Temple of Fire.
|2.2 Temple of Fire|
Gems: Power Gem #2
New Enemies: Green Slime, Fire Bubble, Fire Keese
- As soon as you enter Ciela reminds you that it is quite hot and flames are all
over the place. In the first area, maneuver around the few patches of fire. Once
you get by you will reach a larger area that has a line of fire circulating
around the room. Avoid being burned and circle your way around the room and head
- Defeat the red chuchu and head up. Leap over across the platform to get to a
locked door. You donít have a small key right now so continue over to the right.
There is a map against the wall here. Take a look and it gives you a hint about
the room just north of where you are. Scribble the path onto your map. We will
get to this in just a bit.
- Head down and the entrance will close behind you. Four keese appear in this
area. Defeat them just as you have before with simple sword strikes. The
entrance will re-open and flames that were covering a chest will go out. Head
over to the chest and open it for your first small key. Backtrack to the locked
door we just passed and use the small key there.
- Now we are in the room where we traced a secret route. It seems like a normal
room, but the trick is that you must stay on the path that was scribbled on the
map or else you might fall into a trapped door on the floor. Maneuver around to
get to a treasure chest that contains a red rupee.
- Continue along the path and
the end of the line, you will find four switches. Striking one at a time does no
good as they reset in a short time. What you need to do is stand directly in the
middle of the four switches and do a spin attack. This will hit all four
switches, which will trigger a door in the center of the map to open up.
Backtrack a few sections to the room with the rotating line of fire. Remember to
avoid the trapped doors that are on the ground.
- Back in the central area, avoid the rotating fire and head up the stairs of the
new passageway. Walk around this room and defeat a red and yellow chuchu. You
will notice the red and blue blocks as well as a switch in the corner of the
room. This puzzle is rather simple, just strike the switch and the blue blocks
will rise while the red blocks fall. Walk the long way around the room and head
east. More chuchuís to defeat before heading down.
- You will be blocked into this room like you were before and a brand new enemy is
Contact (big only)
Slow (small only)||
- These gooey blobs hop around in an attempt to... bounce
on you! Because there are often many of them, the Spin Attack
- While easily defeated, once hit, they will each split apart into two
smaller slimes that will act much the same. The difference is
the smaller ones will latch onto you and slow you down. Either
wait awhile or use your stylus to shake them off.
- After all the annoying
slimes have been defeated, the door will open up and a treasure chest appears.
Open up the chest to receive the Boomerang!
|New Item: Boomerang
||Temple of Fire
- Tap the item button in the corner and trace the path it will take from
Link's body onward. This weapon has the ability to stun or damage enemies. It's
very useful to hit distant switches and even retrieve items as well.
- Linkís new toy comes into play immediately. Head to the right side of the screen
and use the boomerang. Trace a line nailing the switch and on the pot on the
right side. Hitting the switch will lower the flames on the left allowing Link
- Head left and follow the path upwards. There is a flame in the way of reaching
the stairs here and there are two torches that shoot out fire at Link. There are
two switches across the lava on the left side, each corresponding to one of the
two torches. Dodge the fireball shots at Link and quickly target one of the
switches. Hitting the switch will blow out the torch. After hitting both
switches, both torches will blow out, and the flames blocking the stairwell will
vanish. Head down the steps.
- There are a few yellow chuchuís here. Now that we have the boomerang, we no
longer have to wait for their electric charge to subside. Just toss the
boomerang at these chuchuís at any time to stun them. Then strike at them with
your sword to defeat them. You can hit the statue in the corner of the room here
and it will tell you that there is no treasure on this floor. There are more
blocks on the floor and a switch on the far left of the room. What we have here
is a simple boomerang puzzle. You canít just head to the switch and strike it
with your sword because you will be blocked in. Stand on the right side of the
red blocks and trace a path for your boomerang around the wall and hit the
switch. This will raise the red blocks and lower the blue blocks. Head down.
- There is a switch on the left side of this room, but hitting it just lowers the
fire on the right side, which leads back to the entrance of the Temple. Instead
of doing that, just head down as a wall shuts the path behind you.
- These flaming skulls will follow you around quickly and
are invulnerable until they are stunned. A well timed Boomerang
will do the job for several seconds. After that, quickly use
your sword to defeat them.
- Once defeated the wall will open back up and a
new passage will also open up revealing a staircase. Head up the steps
to encounter yet another new enemy.
- Unlike normal Keese, these cannot be defeated with your
sword. Simply use the Boomerang to defeat them in one go! How
- After defeating the two fire keese in this room head down, avoiding the two
circulating lines of fire. There is a statue on the left side of the screen
here. This statue will tell you there is one treasure on this floor and offers
to show you its location for 20 rupees. Donít pay for that information as you
can get it here for free!
- Head right avoiding the fire once again and you will find a lever here. Pull it
back. Head back left and up, around the fire and jump to the platform to the
right. There is a large line of fire here that circulates. Try to avoid getting
hit and jump to the right side. There is a third fire keese in this area. Use
the boomerang to defeat it and a chest will appear at the top corner of this
screen. Open it for a red rupee.
- Continue down and head left to find another lever. Pull this one back as well
and a door will open elsewhere in the dungeon. Check your map and you will see
that it is in the place where a key has been floating around. Make your way back
to the now open door, avoiding the fire that is in your path.
- Much like we faced before, a rat is carrying the precious key and keeps running
into holes hiding away from Link. Stand just outside of the door that just
opened and the rat will still go from hole to hole. Aim your boomerang straight
ahead and once you see the rat come out of a hole, release the stylus and toss
the boomerang right at the sucker. Head over and grab the key.
- Make your way back to the right portion of this room crossing the lines of fire
and hopping platforms. You will find that there is an octorok behind the red
blocks but you canít get to him because the blocks are raised. Head to the
bottom part of the room and use the boomerang to hit the switch to change the
blocks. Defeat the octorok just as you did before. Using the shield to block his
attacks can be effective. The boomerang can be used to stun the octorok. Once
defeated stand directly where the octorok was and pull out the boomerang. Sketch
a line around the two corners to hit the switch and change the blocks again.
Head right, open the locked door, and head up the stairs.
- Walk around the room and defeat the three slime enemies. There is a locked door
on the bottom-left and the passage to the north is blocked by fire. Thus the
only way to go is south for now. Dodge the quick rotating fire and tap on the
map you see on the wall. It shows four numbers in four corners of the room and
says to flip the four switches in order. This map corresponds to the room at the
top-right of this floor. Be sure to mark the numbers on your map.
- Head back up to the wall of flames and you will see there are two torches on the
sides. Face the torches and blow into the mic to blow out the flame. Once both
are out, the flames will subside allowing you to head north.
- Head up and stand in the center of the platform. Use the boomerang and trace a
long path through all four switches in this room. Be sure to hit the switches in
the same order that was shown on the wall that you should have wrote on your
map. In case you forgot, the correct order is bottom-left, top-right, top-left,
and bottom-right. A key will drop straight ahead of Link. Use the boomerang to
grab the small key. Backtrack down and head to the bottom-left of this room. Use
the small key on the locked door.
- There is another stone statue here that tells you there is one treasure chest
left. Once again, it offers to show you the location for 20 rupees, but it is not
necessary if you are following the guide. Head left and you will see a gigantic
lock. Unfortunately we cannot open it just yet since we do not have the boss
key. Continue left and a wall will enclose you in this area.
- There are two fire keese and two yellow chuchuís, as well as a torch that shoots
tiny fireballs out at Link. Defeat the four enemies and the wall on the right
will open as well as a passage going up. Head up and you will find two fire
bubbles here. Defeat them just like before, using the boomerang and then the
sword. Defeating both bubbles will make the flames subside. Head north and read
the statue. It says that when all three torches are lit, the path will be
- Head up and stop on the switch and the torch on the left will light up. As you
probably can guess, you need to use the boomerang to light up the other two
torches. Trace a line from where Link is standing to the torch on the left, then
to the one up top, and finally to the one on the right. All three torches will
light up and a door will open in the room just to the right of where Link is.
- Head back down and to the right where there is a pit of lava. Use the boomerang
here to hit a switch that is just out of view at the top of the next room. This
will create a platform where Link can walk across. Do so and maneuver around the
rotating fire. Head up and continue up the stairs to get to a treasure chest.
Open it up for the boss key. Unlike previous Zelda games, Link must actually
carry the Boss Key over his head. You can drop it or toss it aside at any point.
Luckily we donít have far to go.
- Head back to the large lock we passed just a while ago. If you forgot where it
was exactly, it is shown on your map. Use the boss key and head up the steps.
Break the pots on the side to gain any needed hearts to fill up for the dungeon
boss battle. Read the statue on the right to find that this temple protects the
Spirit of Power. The statue on the left will create a blue portal that takes you
to the beginning of the temple. Once you are ready, head up the steps to battle
the dungeon boss, Blaaz.
- Head up and the wall will shut behind you and Blaaz, Master of Fire will appear.
|Temple Boss: Blaaz, Master of Fire
||Temple of Fire
- Multiple Hits to Defeat!
Fireballs (split only).
Smacks you away (fused only).
Meteors (fused only).
- Once the battle begins, Blaaz will split into three smaller forms. The three
triplets will chase Link around the room shooting out fireballs towards Link.
Donít bother trying to strike at the separate mini Blaaz bodies with your sword
because it wonít affect him. The mini Blaaz incarnations will gather fire and
shoot fireballs out at Link. They are quite slow and are very easy to avoid. If
at any point during the battle you grow weary, just slash at the pots within the
chamber to fill up your hearts.
- In order to successfully defeat Blaaz, you must fuse him together using the
mighty boomerang. While on the run, bust out the boomerang and trace a line
between the three forms of blaze to fuse them all together. However, there is a
catch to this as well. If you take a look at the map you will see the three
forms of Blaaz wandering around. One of them has one horn, another has two
horns, and the other has three horns. When tracing the boomerang you must target
them in a specific order. Logically, the order is the one with one horn, then
two horns, and of course, three horns.
- Once you successfully fuse him together, just run up to Blaaz and keeping
tapping at him to strike him over and over with your sword. After several hits,
Blaaz will disappear for a second and move around the room before re-appearing.
Keep chasing Blaaz around while striking him with your sword. As Blaaz begins to
weaken, fire rocks will begin to fall from the ceiling.
- Just keep repeating the process of fusing Blaaz together with the boomerang and
strike him with your sword. If you are quick with your striking, it should take
no more than three fusions of Blaaz to defeat him.
- Avoid fireballs. Notice how each of the separate people
are holding a number of horns (on the map)... While running, use your
Boomerang to smack them and combine them into one, in the correct
order: one, two, three. Once combined, slice away and repeat.
- After Blaaz has been defeated, his body will explode to dust and eventually
sprinkle to sand. That sand gathers together and it will rise above towards the
sky. A small circular symbol appears on the ground. Out of it, a red fairy
appears. The fairy will introduce itself to Link as Leaf, the Spirit of Power
who serves the Ocean King. The fairy will thank Link for breaking the seal and
freeing him. Ciela jumps into the conversation between Leaf and Link saying that
this must have been what Astrid was talking about.
- Leaf goes on to say that he was locked away years ago with the Ocean King but
can no longer feel the Ocean Kingís presence. Worried for the Ocean King, Leaf
offers to come along with Link to find out what happened. After a cut cutscene
of Link with his two fairy friends a large chest appears in the center of the
room as well as a blue portal. Head over and open the chest to get a Heart Container, which extends
your maximum health to four hearts! Exit the temple by stepping into the blue portal.
|Heart Container #1
||Temple of Fire
- After exiting the temple, the first thing Link and Ciela will notice is that the volcano has
stopped erupting. Astrid tells Link that because he defeated the monsters within the temple,
the volcano has settled down. Astrid goes on to say that there are three spirits that Link
will need assistance from, the spirit of power, wisdom, and courage. Astrid also says that
the next clue is back at Mercay Island within the Temple of the Ocean King.
- Before being set off to continue his quest, Astrid rewards Link with his second Power Gem.
Once Link collects ten gems of the same type, he will be able to enhance the power of the spirit.
Linebeck, excited about the trip, will bolt back towards his ship to prepare to sail. After Ciela
gets on Linebeck's case yet again, Astrid says that Linebeck will be of great help further in the
quest. Nothing left do to here for now, so run back to the ship and sail off back towards Mercay Island!
|Power Gem #2
||Mercay Island - Shop
- These mystical gems can be collected and used to upgrade the Spirit of Power later in the game! View a complete
listing of each gem using the Power Gems Guide.